1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Phone or GPS Unit?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by kderacing, Mar 2, 2019.

1. nacho squatcho

nacho squatcho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have 79,000+ miles on a WR250R? Am I reading that right?
    ohgood likes this.
  2. Adrenolin

Adrenolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lol That would be 8,332 Miles and the Time is 1:49:53 :lol3

That said.. yeah there are WRRs out there with over 100,000 miles on them. Sadly, the odometer actually freezes at 99,999 miles.. :(
    ProLeisure and nacho squatcho like this.
  3. KC10Chief

KC10Chief Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My DR650 has killed two iPhones now. Too much vibration. I do like it for navigating though. I use Gaia and it does everything I need. But I'm looking to order a GPS. Probably the Garmin Zumo XT. I already have an InReach so, it should work with that. Supposedly. I need something more durable than a phone and it's probably better to keep my phone on me anyways.
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should look at keeping your iPhone in your pocket and try a cheap Kyocera Duraforce Pro or some other RUGGED Android device. I'd be happy to show you my setup sometime at a Tuesday Pub Crawl if you want to join us.
    DCrider likes this.
  5. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buzzkill would be another option: https://shop-hondogarage.com/collec...orcycle/products/buzz-kill-vibration-isolator

It's a little bulky, but I've had great success on my DRZ. I did pair it with their Juiced Squeeze so it charges the phone while I ride too (even with the screen of my S8 on bright)
    ProLeisure likes this.
  6. ProLeisure

ProLeisure Gimme shelter... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the same setup (including the Juiced Squeeze). I use it on my WR250R and KTM 350 XCF-W. Yes, it's expensive (primarily the Juiced Squeeze part), but it works really well and I'm very happy with the solution.
    EmmEff and Bruincounselor like this.
  7. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Juiced Squeeze . Many thousands of miles in the back country of Mexico .
    No issues .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Max
  8. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are we having Tuesday Pub crawls?
    flamingm0e likes this.
  9. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    We're slowly getting back together at venues that make sense. I'll start posting them on ADVrider
  10. KC10Chief

KC10Chief Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response! I hadn't seen any Tuesday pub crawl stuff in a while. I'll be there if we have one! I only have two Tuesdays left in Oklahoma this year. We are headed west for the rest of the year (living in our RV).

Anyways, my current mount is a Quadlock. I really like it. They just released their own vibration dampener for motorcycles. It's only $20 if you already have their mounts/cases. I saw the Juiced squeeze vibration mount too. I also just ordered the Garmin Zumo XT. Supposed to be here tomorrow. I think I'll be mounting that and just keeping the phone in my pocket.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  11. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been an advocate of using a rugged android phone as a dedicated gps for some time now but a buddy of mine recently got a Zumo XT, I like it! I think it has brought Garmin back into the game. Initial cost is more (5x) than typical phone but I really like it's user interface
    Haven't had the chance to play with it much or use it on a ride yet but at quick first look it is nice.
    ohgood and victor441 like this.
  12. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pub Crawl tomorrow night, 1720 ish, Cajun Corner on 23rd
    KC10Chief likes this.
  13. Josh69

Josh69 Uhhh

Oddometer:
    Well.... I have a rugged Android phone and a Zumo XT.

Overall... the XT is better because it is glove friendly and once you put it in the mount, it is powered. But that's it: as soon as somebody comes up with a glove friendly phone with wireless charging and large button navigation app to go with it, I really cannot see the point in a dedicated GPS over a phone. I stopped using a dedicated GPS in the car years ago. It's really only the glove interface that keeps me with a dedicated GPS on the bike.
    sodapop likes this.
  14. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are gloves available that have phone capable finger tips and stick on tips also.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/glovetacts-v2-smart-fingertip-touchscreen-pads?sku_id=1766307

That said, I have a Garmin XT. I find it’s screen easier to see.
    Josh69 likes this.
  15. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are already big interfaces on several of the "car" launchers on the play store, or you can go with something like Drive Mode Dashboard. He's a rider and designs his dashboard based on a rider's perspective. Also, you can start buying gloves with touchscreen capabilities. ;)
    I don't own a pair of gloves that don't have that capability. I don't understand people that continue to buy gloves without it these days.
  16. Josh69

Josh69 Uhhh

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of Held gloves with fingertips which can work screens. But I find it nowhere near as reliable as a real fingertip. The apps on the phone are also typically designed with small buttons which are difficult to use with gloves. Overall, I don't think it is safe enough to use a smartphone with gloves on while the motorcycle is moving. In comparison, I don't have a problem with simple commands on the dedicated GPS.
  17. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. I understand that and agree. I don’t operate my gps much while in motion. I loved the wonder wheel on the GS.

I was using my GoPro app today on my iPhone on the bike. The gloves with the tips aren’t very reliable. All I want to do is stop and start recording. It kept changing modes instead.
    Josh69 likes this.
  18. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Stylus on a retractable lanyard.
    scfrank, Josh69 and EmmEff like this.
  19. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I'll turn the volume up or down, but that's all, while moving. I wouldn't suggest anyone try to manipulate a screen while riding
    EmmEff and MAXVERT like this.
  20. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I've personally seen two guys crash while futzing with their GPS's. One guy crashed hard into a gate he was so oblivious.
    ohgood likes this.