Phone or GPS Unit?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by kderacing, Mar 2, 2019.

1. ajs18s

ajs18s ARTE et MARTE

Oddometer:
    Hey guy's I am going to ask a silly question, I am absolutely hopeless with tech stuff, but I know that I can have google maps off line, so no phone reception but still view these maps, but if I have no phone reception can my exact position still be shown on the map?
    :hide
  2. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course. That's what this and hundreds of other threads discusses.

Your phone has a GPS chip in it. The GPS doesn't require any cell signal at all.
    ohgood and ajs18s like this.
  3. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, your phone has an actual GPS chip set in it. Well, unless it is 15 years old. :lol3

I still encounter a LOT of people that are stuck on thinking they need a cell tower for the location to work.
    ohgood likes this.
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    MOST people actually think this is the case. The reason is that apple maps/google maps/waze do require data to show you a map, unless you plan ahead. When people have been without service and they open up Google Maps, they don't realize that even if the map isn't loaded, there is still a blue icon that represents you...it's kind of like they gloss over that little bit of information. Logically, you would think, hey, I don't have data so I can't see the map details, but it knows I'm here somewhere.
    ohgood likes this.
  5. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's funny now, but years ago I forgot to load a certain state on my Garmin and it did the same thing - showed my location and relationship to an interstate without any details.
    ohgood and flamingm0e like this.
  6. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    I use GMaps offline to ride into some very remote areas of Mexico , yes it still routes perfectly.
    While I mainly use Locus pro for routing on my Kyocera phone that is my dedicated navigation tool , I also have all my routes saved to GMaps for offline use on that device . Also my main
    phone a Pixel 4 has all the above in it . It's so simple to have everything in drop box , when
    your routing on your computer , for instance and get it to both phones . And of course both
    phones do the blue tooth deal so Bobs your uncle !
    Try that with a Garmin device .

Max
    ohgood likes this.
  7. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Wait, you know my uncle Bob? :lol3
    MAXVERT likes this.
  8. ajs18s

ajs18s ARTE et MARTE

Oddometer:
    Ok thank you for clearing that up, I am just very frustrated technically as I have downloaded so many different apps, to try and make my life easier. I just want to plan some very basic routes and be able to follow them, I have mostly stuck with google maps, but find navigation with google is a bit like my wife, it knows better.
    And cheers uncle Bob, whom ever he belongs to.