Phone or GPS Unit?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by kderacing, Mar 2, 2019.

1. ajs18s

ajs18s ARTE et MARTE

Oddometer:
    Hey guy's I am going to ask a silly question, I am absolutely hopeless with tech stuff, but I know that I can have google maps off line, so no phone reception but still view these maps, but if I have no phone reception can my exact position still be shown on the map?
    :hide
  2. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of course. That's what this and hundreds of other threads discusses.

Your phone has a GPS chip in it. The GPS doesn't require any cell signal at all.
    ohgood and ajs18s like this.
  3. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, your phone has an actual GPS chip set in it. Well, unless it is 15 years old. :lol3

I still encounter a LOT of people that are stuck on thinking they need a cell tower for the location to work.
    ohgood likes this.
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    MOST people actually think this is the case. The reason is that apple maps/google maps/waze do require data to show you a map, unless you plan ahead. When people have been without service and they open up Google Maps, they don't realize that even if the map isn't loaded, there is still a blue icon that represents you...it's kind of like they gloss over that little bit of information. Logically, you would think, hey, I don't have data so I can't see the map details, but it knows I'm here somewhere.
    ohgood likes this.
  5. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's funny now, but years ago I forgot to load a certain state on my Garmin and it did the same thing - showed my location and relationship to an interstate without any details.
    ohgood and flamingm0e like this.
  6. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    I use GMaps offline to ride into some very remote areas of Mexico , yes it still routes perfectly.
    While I mainly use Locus pro for routing on my Kyocera phone that is my dedicated navigation tool , I also have all my routes saved to GMaps for offline use on that device . Also my main
    phone a Pixel 4 has all the above in it . It's so simple to have everything in drop box , when
    your routing on your computer , for instance and get it to both phones . And of course both
    phones do the blue tooth deal so Bobs your uncle !
    Try that with a Garmin device .

Max
    ohgood likes this.
  7. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Wait, you know my uncle Bob? :lol3
    MAXVERT likes this.
  8. ajs18s

ajs18s ARTE et MARTE

Oddometer:
    Ok thank you for clearing that up, I am just very frustrated technically as I have downloaded so many different apps, to try and make my life easier. I just want to plan some very basic routes and be able to follow them, I have mostly stuck with google maps, but find navigation with google is a bit like my wife, it knows better.
    And cheers uncle Bob, whom ever he belongs to.
  9. fafaforza

fafaforza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, phones have a GPS unit, but they don't have the map data to superimpose your location onto. Without those, you just have meaningless coordinates. That's where caching Google Maps tiles comes in.

Alternately, you can download the Here app. They have free maps for entire states. You download each state as a whole.
  10. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Use Mappite.org to create tracks or routes on your PC, then GuruPro on your device to follow them. Done!

Here's a little tutorial I put together when GuruPro was called GalileoPro. The phone I had at the time was an iPhone, but the workflow is very similar for Android.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/galileo-pro-quick-start-guide.1166708/
  11. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is all true, plus there are multiple Apps available very cheap that can download their maps to the phone so you have many choices of offline maps you can use.
    ohgood likes this.
  12. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    this is not exclusive to phones. every GPS device needs maps installed, or it's just a position/coordinate display.

:-)
    Bullseye likes this.
  13. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, just like my Garmins. They needed map data too. So I'm not sure what you mean.

The big advantage of the phone, is that I have dozens of map sources and apps, giving me a lot of alternatives. With my Garmin I am mostly limited to what they supply, like it or not.
    ohgood likes this.