Photobucket have started to charge for third party posting.

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by El Ponkin, Jun 30, 2017.

1. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    The way they're doing it is. Under the old terms, posting pix on forums was OK. They even provided a link for you to use. Now it is not only not allowed, they broke all the old links in an attempt to get people to pay a very large yearly fee so they can get their pix back.
    Seventy One and GreatWhiteNorth like this.
  2. jsb223

jsb223 ADV Rookie

Oddometer:
    Then why did they provide such links (for posting on forums) to begin with...

To be honest I would have paid to have the function restored IF it had been
    in line with typical web hosting cost that includes much more storage space
    and bandwidth which run about $10 per month.
  3. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    You agreed to their terms, including their ability to change them at will. The way they are handling the change is certainly not in anyone's best interests, however the servers/bandwidth/etc is theirs to do with as they wish and it has been that way since they started.

If someone lets you eat free at their table for years and then one day decides not to... is that sleezy? Are you entitled to anytihng? IMO the answer is no.
    shinyribs likes this.
  4. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    Yep. Now they lost me as a customer. No big loss to them but I won't use them. I have a Dropbox account. I'll just clip my photos from there and paste them in the posts. Won't spend a dime on them.

KR
  5. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had a Smugmug account for a few years. I keep my better stuff on it that I want to archive, and I let Photobucket handle the rest. As a BlackBerry user now I get to figure out why the Smugmug BlackBerry app sees the pics on my phone, but won't do a thing with them. :rofl

I wish it were 1988 again and Walgreen's still had their $1.99 processing.
  6. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    All my pics are on my iPhone and iPad and just go from there to here !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still working for me:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I never liked the Smugmug interface. It makes posting a bunch of photos in a single post arduous.

If Photobucket goes stupid I will just use my web site.
  8. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Start using it now Jim. It appears that Photobucket has some point where YOU lose control.
  9. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    To me it's all about the lack of respecting your users. A simple email saying bye the way this is what going to happen we can't afford to host billions of links for free anymore would have helped. They didn't do that instead they screw up billions of forum posting etc with no warning at all. They just screw up big time. I m guessing there's a magic number of posting and linking allowed before they pull this dunderhead git crap on a user. I ve got a mere 400 pictures and and still can link to them. As it is I m guessing they just shot themselves badly and are going to go down in flames. . You cant piss off most your user base without ending up DOA . We talking about100 million registered members and most if when they find out are going to go screw you photobucket.
  10. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's still working for me but I'm not using it for free. I think I'm paying about $28 per year. I have thousands of pics in my ride reports. Moving them to another site would be a huge job but I'm not going to pay $399 per year.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    How many that have lost photo hosting were PAYING customers? So far mine is working but I pay around $28 per year for 20 Gig. I'd be willing to go up to around $100 per year but now I'm not sure I can ever trust them again. I guess I need to look at other options although I would hate to loose all the pics in my ride reports.
  12. Cabrito

Cabrito On the mend 76% Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here, and Mine all seem to be working. I also see the IMG url to copy and paste next to my pictures, but if I log out that link isn't available. My current plan is not available anymore so maybe it's just taking them time to cull all the existing accounts? The whole thing is bunk...

Looking into SmugMug and others now..
  13. souperdoo

souperdoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have always used flickr. At one point they limited the free hosting to 200 pictures. They have since gone to an ad-based format and the free hosting limit is 1Tb/acct.

Over the past 10 years I have often noted that, when looking at older forum posts across the internet, pictures hosted by Photobucket were often 'disappeared' with that sad-looking gif in their place.

I never understood the appeal of Photobucket.

I've always been happy with flickr, but it is a Yahoo! product and we all know that they can fuck up a ball bearing with a rubber mallet...
  14. WayneJ

WayneJ What? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Smug Mug servers still host ADV, Baldy's sons own it.

So support ADV and join Smug Mug, use the link in my sig line for a 20% discount on your first years membership. I think you have a 30 days to cancel if you don't like it.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Talking to some other riders at lunch today it appears that its not just photobucket cracking down on photohosting. I'm giving SmugMug a try. It appears to be a much more professional and user friendly site.
  16. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    I will be giving smugmug a go as they have direct links to this website and therefore i would hope they would continue to support it.
    Andy
  17. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Yep, time to look for other options. My links are down also.
  18. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Its not just ADV Rider affected there are billions of users so the backlash could see the end of Photobucket. With the interweb you cannot sneak changes like this in "under the radar" and "the people" are starting to see the strength in "people power", this will see the end of PB and a big lesson to other big businesses who think they can take on the people.
    https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/
  19. 83XLX

83XLX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing that it's taking a while for PB to get around to de-linking all their accounts. Those of you who still have a working PB account, you won't for long.
  20. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Just downloaded all my pics from photobucket and uploaded to smugmug which was $50 for a year with no ads. Just been through my EFI and Troubleshooting Guides and changed all the links to the smugmug address links. Painful but didn't take that long and smugmug is brilliant and quick.