Photobucket have started to charge for third party posting.

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by El Ponkin, Jun 30, 2017.

1. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    The number of pop ups on Photobucket has gone from slightly annoying to truly embarrassing as a user. Seriously how many bad hollywood plastic surgery jobs do you think I want to see?

They've obviously been using the extreme ad content to generate revenue.

I just went to look and sure enough got the change in Terms of Service - and got no less than three unrelated pop ups just trying to read through it. Got three more navigating from the TOS to my images.

Screw that.
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  2. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Photobucket should have just pulled the plug on their servers. The end result would be the same. :flush
    CavReconSGT and Wreckchecker like this.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even the paid users like me have multiple issues. I switched to ImageShack, though I am not yet committing.
    1coolbanana likes this.
  4. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ive been a paying user for years and its been declining more in resent times.
    Theyve screwed me well, 8 years worth gone to buggery :(

SmugMug here I come.....and hope they dont follow suit!
  5. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    That is the problem, none of them can be relied on anymore. Even Smugmug is not owned by Baldy, though I hear his brother is involved. :dunno

My problem with Smugmug is it is not user friendly like PB and IS are, at least for me.
    Max Wedge likes this.
  6. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm starting to move to SmugMug although I'm not sure if ultimately I'll stay with them.

After the PB burn I did some research. SmugMug was actually started by Baldy's son, who brought Baldy in after about 6 months. They ran it from their house for a long time and Baldy turned it from a rough start to what it is. They are partners and have been offered a lot of money to sell. Baldy sees it as a boutique place for photos and compares it to Apple. He made enough money from earlier ventures to keep it going if it were just a family pride type of thing, but now says that it generates so much money that he won't.
    Max Wedge and Cabrito like this.
  7. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldnt have minded if PB went from $20 to $50, Id bitch and whine a bit but for peace of mind Id just carry on and hope the service would improve.
    I dont believe in free lunches and why Ive been paying the basic fee even though I only use 3% of my quota.

What they have done is criminal, from nothing, or in my case $20, to $400 is conducive with wanting the business to go into receivership.
    Now that its owned by that bunch of crooks, Murdoch and Fox, nothing surprises me.

I hope we can count on Baldy and SM for a while to do the right thing.
    basketcase likes this.
  8. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Agreed!
  9. eric1514

eric1514 TRUMP 2020

Oddometer:
    I'd pay Smugmug prices or maybe slightly more for Photobucket. Their phone app is so superior to Smugmug's.
  10. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    According to Wikipedia, Fox sold Photobucket 8 years ago. It is now an independent entity. In other words, Photobucket's leadership team is in charge of its own decision-making.
    1coolbanana likes this.
  11. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow.....that seems to make it even worse!
  12. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
  13. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Quick question. Can't seem to get the link off of SmugMug to post here. Is there a trick? I have a trial membership. Is that limiting the posting?
  14. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the things I don't like about Smugmug is that it's a pain to use compared to Photobucket. The only place I can get a useable link for posting pics is on my MacBook. My phone won't allow me to get a link, nor will my iPad. And the app is seemingly worthless for anything other than uploading and viewing pics. But I'm old so maybe it's me. :lol3

The trick I've found is that I have to choose a photo size first, then a link appears below it that I can cut & paste. Or so goes it with me. It just doesn't seem very user-friendly.
  15. jsb223

jsb223 ADV Rookie

Oddometer:
    I went the domain/hosted server route.

VERY cheap the first year and as long as I control
    the domain, I can move the folder structure to any server.
  16. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Exactly why I stuck with PB for so long, and am now with ImageShack!
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  17. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, apparently, Jim, Photobucket "allows" the link for a short time, and then takes it away. So we all see the pics for a few days. But then it kills the link. At least that is what I've gathered from my own sleuthing around.

Here is a thread post I posted a few days ago. See the pic.
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/got-a-cool-watch-lets-see-it.198518/page-902#post-32630871

Here's one I posted a few weeks ago. No pic...
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/got-a-cool-watch-lets-see-it.198518/page-890#post-32439914

So apparently, JAlbum has smelt blood in the water and is now doing full court press to try to pick up people who bail on photobucket. I've used them before...good tool for self-hosting, and rolling your own smugmug. . And they have a dirt cheap hosting option too now, which is $29/YEAR. Compared to Photobucket's $.400/year....what a joke!!
  18. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here. I think it also depends on how mny pics you have linked and how long you have been doing it. Most of my links have all been killed.
  19. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    WRONG!
    Photobucket was acquired by Fox Interactive Media in 2007, but in 2009 was sold by Fox parent company News Corp, publisher of news.com.au, to Seattle-based mobile start-up Ontela.
    This was in the article linked above.
  20. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer: