Photos from Michaux SF Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JaxObsessed, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    The motorcycle trails in Bald Eagle State Forest put paid to that. Same with the trails in Allegheny National Forest. Trail erosion is just the reason used to justify not changing anything.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  2. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I guess it's not that then lol
    I know they're always closed to me so I haven't paid attention
  3. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spent some time on the DR in southern Michaux today (south of Rt. 30), including a run up and down the always fun Biesecker Gap Road. Water flowing down the road is bringing all those baby head rocks back to life as well as feeding the stream that runs alongside.

20200501_142655.jpg 20200501_143117.jpg 20200501_143414.jpg
  4. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    After those pics I had to ride Michaux today . Biesecker Gap road is awesome !! I always thought Ridge Road was a great uphill. This is great !! About 60-65 miles of Michaux today. Lovin life.
    KIMG1046.jpg KIMG1042.jpg KIMG1037.jpg
  5. Paebr332

Oddometer:
    Michaux was crazy busy this afternoon. I rode a little more than 110 miles there today. Saw at least a dozen other riders. Every trailhead parking spot was full. Went past Long Pine about 3:00 and there were dozens of kayaks, canoes, and boats out. Vehicles parked everywhere they could fit.

Biesecker is the best road in all of Michaux.
    JaxObsessed, Sonny S. and jdub like this.
  6. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    We rode up through there yesterday on the R100RS. Riding out of Mt Holly, to the intersection of 233. Went up over the mountain past the Pine Grove Furnace park campground, came back over Shippensburg road then rode 233 out to 30. Lots of bikes out everywhere we went, loads of people everywhere. It was a lovely day, clearly everyone is getting a little restless. We had 160 miles on at the end of our ride.
  7. Paebr332

Oddometer:
    Probably the oddest thing I saw yesterday was a Yamaha R1 parked along Birch Run road at the north end of Long Pine. It's not everyday you see a sport bike miles back on a gravel road.
  8. Sidecar Jockey

Sidecar Jockey Bike Doctor

Oddometer:
    Are any of you guys with out of state (non-PA) tags having any issues with the rangers in Michaux? I live in MD and have really been wanting to get up there for a ride, but with PA's travel restrictions I didn't know if my MD tag would make me a target for a ticket or not?
  9. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Frederick, both bikes have MD tags. We had no issues Saturday. Didn't see rangers but passed a few local cops.
  10. Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I'm also in Frederick and have been doing short local rides on back roads and haven't had any issues, but I haven't ridden out of state yet. If the weather for this weekend cooperates, I think it's time I visit Michaux again.
  11. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah we were wondering what to expect. Never experienced times like these and the media ... Well you know.
    BTW they've opened two Gates at the watershed. Not sure for how long but right now you can enter off Gambril Park Rd. and go straight through to Mountaindale or vise versa. Used to be enter and exit Mountaindale. Only gate not open is Hamburg Rd to Fishing Creek.
    Man the visitors in cages from DC and VA have been insane up there. Hopefully the malls will open back up and they'll leave.
  12. Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to hit up the watershed soon. The Mountaindale exit is the farthest from my house, so entering from Gambril Park saves me ~20 minutes of driving around.
    Is the stream crossing on Delauter Rd open, or is that still gated?

If you're looking for some other local roads to ride, try these:

Sigler Road just south of Jefferson has a nice water crossing right at the tight bend:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...3f5cfe3927a80e!8m2!3d39.3420733!4d-77.5473997

Poffinberger Road has a few miles of nice dirt that winds along the creek. No technical riding, but its very scenic.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...39ba6ab068b7b1c0!8m2!3d39.376911!4d-77.562805

You probably already know this, but this is how I always go from Frederick up to Michaux:
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39....0x89c9bc3b894dc76d:0xb2955bdaa89aba37!1m0!3e0

Mink Farm Road is a nice dirt road, and Buck Lantz Road is also dirt and has a nice switchback in it. Both are indicated by the white place markers in the above map. Tower Road used to be a fun dirt road, but they've been working on paving it for the past few years and are almost done.
  13. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pm sent
  14. Denny Mann

Denny Mann Long timer

Oddometer:
    The weekly ADV Ride through Michaux will start on Friday the 15th at 9 am from Shippensburg.
    JaxObsessed and Lupin 3rd like this.
  15. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jennifer and I got 180 miles in today with about 110 of that gravel and dirt in N&S Michaux. Only took one photo all day. Sometimes it's just feeling too good to stop. KIMG1153.jpg
  16. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed American Anti-FAscist born and raised. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Circling Sagittarius A* in spaceship Baltimore
    For those wondering, I'm from MD and have had several very positive interactions with the Rangers in Michaux.
    I'm jealous of y'all getting to ride there.
    :thumb
    SoPaRider and Sonny S. like this.
  17. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Frederick, MD here . No interactions with Ranger....yet :-)
  18. AdventureRides

AdventureRides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bigfoot sighting just outside of Michaux yesterday. C07B11DA-2425-436A-B01B-E4F46088B343.jpeg
    IndigoSwann likes this.
  19. IndigoSwann

IndigoSwann Pirate

Oddometer:
    Wait, is Sasquatch wearing a helmet?Is he a Dual Sport rider? Is this why we can't find him in the forests he's a demon at single track?
    AdventureRides likes this.
  20. Lucas71

Lucas71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_8503.jpg
    Nice no dust day
    Paebr332 and chasbo like this.