Phrozen Phoenix SX, CABDR, Mojave Trail ADV

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Bonnie & Clyde, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    This is the 3rd Year @rjnutt, Robbie, and I have done this ride. Inspired by the rockymntatvmc.com video series and planned loosely around their free tracks initially. In fact every year we have crossed their path out on the trail. They do an organized group ride. We do a skeleton planned largely unhinged adventure. So the ride is always in January for the Phoenix, Glendale, Super-cross. We truck down from Gardnerville NV, to Laughlin NV, Its usually cold and snowy in our area thus the ride down in Sunny AZ. This year we had plans of riding some of the Mojave trail and CABDR down to Yuma then east to Glendale. Here we go

Packed and loaded Wednesday drive to Laughlin
    [​IMG]

We stay the first night at the Colorado Belle in Lauglin NV, and park the truck and trailer in their rv parking for the duration of the trip. So far we have had zero issues. They have cheap clean rooms and excellent Pizza , My favorite food group.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So we planned on riding Thursday through Monday and trucking back Tuesday the following week. Thursday morning we unload the bikes and pack them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As we start to don our riding gear, I hear a groan and look to see Robbie, frozen in a bent over position with one leg in his riding pants. Then slowly and gingerly he straightens slight up right and with one hand on his back tells me he pulled something in his back. He later disclosed that he initially thought his trip was over before it started. He took a few minutes then finished getting dressed slowly. For once I was ready to go before him! I didn't realize how bad his back was at first but by the time we mounted up and got to the gas station down the street watching him get off and on his bike I realized he had really pulled something. This back pain would be along for the rest of the trip.

Attached Files:

2. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    I think a more appropriate name woud be “The Cripple Chronicles”...
    Bike Guy and Bonnie & Clyde like this.
  3. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:
    Day 1

After fueling up in Laughlin we headed south to pick up the Mojave trail heading west, out to Fort Piute. The track became sandy almost immediately.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now sand is hard enough to ride in with a loaded ADV bike but with a bad back giving you a sharp stab at every move it cant be fun. To rjnutt's credit he hung in there and rode all day. I could tell he was in pain. He only dropped his bike once due to his back not letting him move as gracefully and fluidly as he normally does. The sand only bit him once at a near stop. Photo to commemorate the moment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

looking west towards Fort Piute at the base of those mnts.
    [​IMG]
    Now at the fort looking east across the valley we just rode trough
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Leaving the fort we took the Mojave trail further west to Lanfair rd then headed south into Goffs.

[​IMG]

Gas in Goffs part of Route 66
    [​IMG]

Leaving Goffs south towards Essex I see rjnutts cargo net fly off and his shoes go bouncing down the road. Robbie did not notice this sudden ejection of his footwear. So I slow down flip a U turn and risk my life picking up his shoes. He had pulled over waiting for me thinking I had some issue, so I roll up and take a picture of this.
    [​IMG]
    Lucky his one gallon gas bag didn't fly off or burst into flames on his exhaust pipe. He had forgot to fasten the cargo net. So crisis averted and feeling like a real friend indeed we continue on jumping off the road at Essex onto the CABDR. It runs along some railroad tracks and then shoots off across the desert.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bike Guy, Skooter, GalacticGS and 6 others like this.
  4. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Great start to report. I started out on that trail , like you say there is a lot of sand at first. The pictures show me what I missed by quitting! I have done some of the other end, same sand.
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  5. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:
    Day 1 continued

Somewhere along this stretch between Milligan and Archer on Cadiz road, Robbie's delorme inreach, which was riding in his handlebar bag, turned its self on and pressed the S.O.S. button. Both of us oblivious to this emergency just kept on riding. When we left the dirt at HWY 62, Rob's phone rings. He pulls it out and didnt recognize the number on the caller ID. So he said audibly "I dont talk to you at home, Im not talking to you now" or something to that effect and cancelled the call. So we chuckled and started east on the short pavement section on HWY 62. At the next dirt section about 10 minutes later we stop to look at the section on the GPS. Rob's phone is ringing as we slow to a stop. Then it starts ringing again. I told him his phone is ringing again.
    [​IMG]

He turns his bike off and pulls out his phone
    [​IMG]

Then he says "Ive got like 10 missed calls from family" As he says that his phone starts ringing again.
    [​IMG]
    "Hello?, Ya Im fine, why?" Then his saint of a wife tells him that delorme inreach has scrambled the helicopters and they are in a holding pattern until they can confirm there is an actual emergency. Apparently when the S.O.S. button activates they are able to see the signal on a map. They had called Rob's wife and all the other emergency contacts after he had not answered their call 10 minutes ago. They told the emergency contacts that it looks likes he is fine because he is moving rather quickly and for several miles since activation. So it turns out every one on the contact list was calling him and leaving voicemail. Long story short, fortunately this all happened in a spot we had actual cell phone coverage and we heard the phone ring twice. So Rob called delorme back and apologized and explained that situation. Then he called his whole family and informed them that he was OK. Kind of funny but also embarrassing also comforting knowing that the S.O.S. works and they dont overreact when simple life mistakes happen. I have a inreach as well and Im glad to know that it works. Ok enough lets ride
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shadows are starting to get long as the sun is setting. This section drops out on Hwy95 right along the Colorado river. Rob had seen on another ADV report about a RV/camping spot about a mile from where the track come out on the highway. Twin Palms Resort pulled up on the cell phone GPS and away we go. Pulling in just in time to catch the office before they closed. We got some cold drinks and snacks from the small store and picked a tent site. All the tent sites have a cabana, lights and power outlets to charge electronics. Showers are included in the $30 for a night. Rob was starting to get really sore and in a lot of pain. The weather was nice however and we both decided that it was nice enough to just roll the sleeping pads and bags out and sleep under the cabana. So no tents to pitch we started boiling water for Mnt. House dinner. 182 miles on the day

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    Moral of the story...If you get a call from an unknown number in Texas while on a motorcycle trip, don’t assume it is a telemarketer!

The most humorous part was when she told my nephew that since I had travelled 10 miles in 8 minutes I was probably OK. Being an insufferable smart-ass my nephew replied “unless he’s been kidnapped again”. They will probably just ignore any SOSfrom me now!
  7. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:
    @rjnutt Kidnapped again? You really do live a life of adventure, mystery and danger! I'm sure when she heard that comment she thought oh boy not another one
    Bike Guy and rjnutt like this.
  8. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:
    Riding Day #2

I was up early enough to see a perfect sunrise
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rob did not sleep very well, if at all, due to his back. In fact it was his moaning while trying to get up off the ground that woke me up.
    [​IMG]

First order of business is coffee. Rob had bought one of those all in one coffee in a bag things that you pour the hot water into. It was decent for trail coffee. I always add powdered fufu to mine anyways. So we start packing up while drinking coffee. We discuss his back problem and if we should just ride back to Laughlin to the truck. He decided that he would keep up on the Motrin for the pain and press on. The agreement was that he wouldn't push the S.O.S. button anymore, and if the trail got to rough we would just turn around or bail out ASAP (this plan would go right out the window in about 20 minutes). The other stipulation was that he needed to sleep. Meaning that he couldn't attempt to sleep on the ground again. He needed a hotel room with a bed and hot shower. So it was agreed. He was so stiff and in pain that I was having to hold his bike up right while he got on or off, he was in bad shape. LETS RIDE! As I warm up my bike I do a check over and notice that my fairing was wiggling around too much. I had lost a bolt or broke something inside. SO Gorilla tape to the rescue.

[​IMG]

We decided to go see the geoglyphs north of Blythe CA. The track we had drops out into a wash
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once in the wash we couldn't see where the track left the wash again. I checked with Rob he said he was ok for now, so up the wash we go following some Side by Side tracks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The wash just got rough and Rob got hung up on a lip. I helped push him up it. Now in some serious discomfort. I leave him there to recover and walk up the wash to scout it out. We are now a ways off the GPX track.
    [​IMG]
    You can see Rob with his head down here just pulling it together
    [​IMG]

So I find a spot where the side by side climbed out of the wash. I walk back and tell Rob. We can turn around or I can ride the bikes up the wash to the climb and that would put us back on the track and road. He decided that he would walk up to the road and I would ride the bikes up.

video of the wash climb (almost took Robs bike out)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mY6aT6WfWzmhAMyB9

So we got the bikes back on the road and GPX track. We decided we would turn around and ride back out to the HWY and south to Blythe for some gas and a snack. We started back and it was just crappy going through the wash as the road dropped back into the wash. Probably the low point of the trip for Rob. Poor guy was in pain and frustrated that he couldn't ride like he is capable of. Once into Blythe we stopped for gas and as we disused whether we should eat an early lunch or ride into Yuma, a nice lady came up to us and asked if we wanted some Mc donalds chicken Mc nuggets. She said they had given her too many in the drive thru. We gladly accepted proclaiming an official "Mc Miracle" had just taken place, and that with one more mc miracle I would qualify for saint hood! Our spirits had been lifted and we had a good laugh and a good snack!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Bike Guy, Skooter, GalacticGS and 2 others like this.
  9. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:
    South down to Ripley we get back on the CABDR riding through the Mule Mnt recreation area

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This section drops back out on HWY 78 ride it south to Ogilby Rd back on the dirt and CABDR. This next section was one of the most scenic of the trip. A cool canyon and wash and ride along the Colorado river. Fairly long section From HWY78 into Winter-heaven /Yuma AZ
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dropping into a cool canyon some rough sections and deep sand at the bottom
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good colors along the river
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once into Yuma we stopped for a pee break and talk about the rest of the days plan.

The one way bridge in Yuma
    [​IMG]

We decided that we would ride into Welton AZ and get a room for the Night. 185 miles on the day. We took showers then grabbed dinner. Rob was back in bed and sleeping the sleep of the dead by 730PM.
    [​IMG]

Pizza for dinner for me
    [​IMG]
    DR650SEDDY, rvsparky, AZ TOM and 7 others like this.
  10. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Good stuff Cory and Robbie :thumb

:lurk

-M
  11. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    great to see you guys riding new tracks. those look tough on loaded bikes. robbie, you're one tough animal.
  12. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice report! Keep it comin'...
  13. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap
  14. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:
    Ride day #3

Rob slept 12 hours and woke up feeling better. We had breakfast at the hotel with some Canadians, who where held up in the hotel waiting for their RV to get painted. Packed up and fueled up we hit the trail. Hyder rd skirting some farms east to Camel rd then north onto W. Agua Caliente rd. to wards Sundad, and dropping out in Arlington AZ.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rob was still needing help getting off and on the bike so I stopped for the Cactus photo he stayed on the road. I had to catch him riding by one later
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We had lunch in the only spot in Arlington. Then rode in to Glendale.
    [​IMG]

165.9 miles
    [​IMG]

Checked in to our Honeymoon suite now one hour a head due to time zones. Showered and caught an Uber ride to the Supercross event. Great race good seats. Malcom Stewart crashed out breaking his leg. When we got there the dome roof was open.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This kids are always fun to watch

[​IMG]

pile up on turn 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This guy killed it in the heat race
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The wave was alive and well going all the way around the stadium
    [​IMG]

The Main
    [​IMG]

Staggered restart after the Stewart crash
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1st time main event winner Bagget
    [​IMG]

During the race it started pouring rain. The roof got closed but it was leaking. This did not bode well for tomorrows ride or tonight's walk from the stadium to the Uber ride. After the race it was still raining. So to kill some time and get something to eat we made a dash for Buffalo Wild Wings. Drenched and cold we made it and got right in. We warmed and dried up had dinner and called for Uber. Back to the room we hit the sack around 1am
    [​IMG]
  15. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    For crying out loud, you’re making me sound like an invalid!!! You deserve a medal for putting up with me...

The BDR folks did a good job with the couple hundred miles of the route we rode. I really enjoyed the section from Yuma to Blythe...Blythe to Yuma in our case.
  16. RonSJC

RonSJC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report! That sand/ rock wash is confusing on the North End of the loop to the Blythe Intaglios. It's an quick jaunt off the highway from the South End to see the Intaglios. Highly recommend checking it out, even if it's an out and back to the highway from the South.
  17. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we missed the track leading out of the wash up onto the sidehill road. Even then it wouldn’t have been too bad, but I just couldn’t move on the bike...definitely frustrating. Cory breezed through it on the SE like it was a freeway. I am thinking we will do it again next year and maybe spend a little more time exploring off the route a bit.

Once again, thanks for your work on the route!
  18. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    still sounds a lot of fun even with pictures are not showing.

is it just me not seeing them?
    AZ TOM likes this.
  19. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:
    Rob said the same thing. are you using an apple product? Everything showing on my PC with Chrome
  20. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:
    picture crisis / mystery solved
    NSFW likes this.