Phuck me! Bike stolen last night...

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by 91Eunos, Oct 17, 2009.

1. beemerkid

beemerkid Do you ADV

Oddometer:
    In some muslim countries i believe they chop your right hand off for stealing, necissitating the use of your left hand for everything (which is highly offensive to everyone). I suggest this course of action.
  2. cerv

cerv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, that just sucks. I hope German Polizei is more effective than what we got here. Even if the bike is gone for ever, perhaps they could at least find those bastards and put them behind bars.
  3. 91Eunos

91Eunos zipper suited sun god

Oddometer:
    Dunno what the Polizei will do if they catch the guys... One of the forms I filled out essentially said that I do want to prosecute them if they're caught. The cops I talked to pretty much said I'll probably never see her again...they think they targeted my bike specifically.

I too went through a few hours of second guessing what really happened but my neighbor's on a trip back in the 'States and his wife said the dog was up in her room on the 3rd floor of their house that night so I suppose it's feasible that the dog didn't react. Another neighbor (who also rides--in fact bought a fellow ADV member, Mox Nix's old G650 X-Country) thought she heard something ~ 0530 on Saturday morning but she thought it was a truck/workers for the house behind hers that's under rennovation.

Personally, I think that was when it was stolen. Probably opportunists w/a truck.

Dunnno what I'm gonna do about a replacement. Hell, I have to do something, I just spent a shit-ton of cash on new riding gear for the whole family. Maybe a metric shit ton since it was mostly BMW and Shuberth gear. I'm really not that jazzed about the '10s though. Like I said, I'm sure they'll be amazing bikes but I like buying the last model of a proven design vs. something new/untested. The extra 10 HP doesn't mean that much to me for my riding needs. I don't race bikes anymore and if I wanted that I'd rent a bike at the track. I wanted a new bike though and a used '09 doesn't really pique my interest either.

Regardless, whatever I do I'll have to come up w/a better solution for storage...to include big ass locks, alarms and guard dogs! Right now I just don't know though.
  4. JFingers

JFingers carpe per diem

Oddometer:
    Any '09 demo bikes layin' around Germany? That or I'm sure some dealer somewhere has some '09s left that they're trying to get rid of to make room for the '10s.

Sorry about your loss, too.
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are no 09's left in Europe? If none are available in Germany, surely there must be a dealer somewhere in the EU who has one that you could take the train, buy it and ride home. :thumb
  6. Jonesky

Jonesky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine lived on the ground floor of a very thin walled apartment and his bed was probably 10 feet from where his Honda CRX car was parked. One night some thieves stole his entire front clip while he slept. The look on his face the next morning was priceless, all he could see was radiator. Point is they can steal your pajamas off you while you sleep if they so desire. Get a 2010, they will be fine, and be glad no one was hurt.
    Karma, being what it is, will eventually catch up to them.
  7. walrond

walrond Earth Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I suspect 91Eunos bought a US spec bike which means it was a special order. I tried going through the motions to bring a Euro spec Ducati back with me and it's not easy. I ended up selling the Duc while I was still in Germany and bought my US spec GS to enjoy there and bring back.

I can tell you from personal experience that finding a used US spec GS in Germany is very difficult!
  8. Flash1034

Flash1034 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Phuck thieves! Get a job and earn it you A-holes!

Flash
  9. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Don't know if they have it over there, but this stuff works. I have recovered my share of cars, trucks, construction equipment with this system. Best part is the thieves don't know its there and cant disable it.
  10. Ilikepivo

Ilikepivo Banned

Oddometer:
    Really sorry to hear about your bike being stolen, but are you certain your neighbor isn't in on it? Something doesn't sound quite right. Wish you the best of luck.
  11. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    The more I think about it the more this sounds like an inside job based at the dealer you bought the bike from. Demand for 1200 GS parts ain't that great. The EWS system prevents the bike from ever running UNLESS someone can get the code for your particular key. The dealer has that code. Go figure. Dave
  12. 91Eunos

Oddometer:
    It was indeed a US spec bike. Assuming the insurance pays out, I'm going to try to order another one but I'm pretty sure production has stopped on the '09s. The place where I bought mine is the BMW Motorrad military sales POC for all of Europe so if they can't get one it can't be done.

I'm still hoping I'm going to drive by a garage or shed in my village or on the way to work and see it parked but the reality that I'll likely never see that bike again is sinking in...
  13. Moraflex

Moraflex Banned

Oddometer:
    I agree with ilikepivo. It would take at least 5 guys to life a 600 lb bike over a fence without smashing the fence down. It just does not sound like a random opportunity type theft. It had to be somewhat coordinated and planned. Can the police monitor all the GS registrations for the next few months and check those out, that are not from BMW dealers?

Here in California the athorities pay little to no attention to theift of personal property, and car/motorcycle theift is not even investigated. They feel if it doesn't go to mexico, then it will eventually show up somewhere.

This really drives home the need for LoJack or other locating devices, and "Game cameras' to photo the bastards in the act under hi resolution.

Again, good luck with the insurance company.
  14. 91Eunos

Oddometer:
    I went and looked at the carport again and it's possible they squeezed the bike out between teh truck and teh fence if they lifted teh front end... That had to be what they did.

Regardless, you can bet your ass that the next bike or InSh'Allah if I get this one back it'll have an alarm and LoJack installed along with as many chains and locks as I can fit!

I need to see if LoJack works in Europe...

15. Karlonz

Karlonz Alien underworld dude

Oddometer:
    Yes, believe it or not there are thieves found inside AND outside the good ole USA:D
  16. L Rider

L Rider "Road Worthy"

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your loss. That is a real drag to say the least.

Whenever I have had things stolen, a car or bike banged up etc., I always console myself (especially if there was an accident and nobody was hurt) the metal can usually be replaced or fixed, which is not always the case for people.

I am sure you will sort out a way forward, as unpleasant as the experience is.....

Take care....
  17. 91Eunos

Oddometer:
    OK, production has stopped on '09s; in fact the line is already tooled for the 2010s. There's one 2009 R1200GS Adventure left here in Grmany (pretty close by in Heidelberg)...it's teh wrong color for me but that's easily fixed.

The problem is that I really don't want a GSA. It's lovely, capable bike guys but I wanted a GS...that's why I bought one. The good news is that the Euro-spec 2010 GS is only 100 or so Euro more than the '09 bike so it looks like if I'm forced into going that route at least I won't be out a lot more $$. I'll know more on US pricing in a month or so.

In the interim, does anyone have a line on a smoking deal for floor stock in the US? I'd prefer the same bike: Titanium Silver w/ ABS, ESA, ASC, heated grips, trip computer, chrome exhaust, hand guards and the saddle bag mounts but will consider anything really. Mine had the low seat but the standard seat is fine by me too.

I'll look into shipping based on the price but there may be a way to recover and still have my new '09... I really want a new bike vs. used though.

Of course all this is predicated on a quick insurance payout. :eek1 I'm sure I'll have to wait some time to see if they can recover the bike.

--break, break--

Anyone know if the US LoJack works in Europe? I know they have a "common European frequency" based on their website but no luck so far contacting (kontackt here in Germany!) teh LoJack dealer in Berlin.

If it will work here, I'd have it installed before shipping it over.
  18. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    I have never had any trouble until this happened while I was attending a dirt track race 130 miles from the house. After filling out a police report, it still didn't hit me that is was gone forever. I remember telling the guys at work that "if those guys have torn my seat or scratched the paint I'm gonna' kill em'". It wasn't really gone forever right?, somebody has taken it and the cops will call me and say they found it in a parking lot somewhere. WRONG! Four days later after me calling them daily, the officer in charge told me I was never going to get that bike back. Parts are in Florida, parts are in California,etc. That's when I got mad. That's when I knew I wasn't going to get it back.
  19. MoxNix

MoxNix Ex-ExPat

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  20. N.T.A

N.T.A Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear :(: