Phuck me! Bike stolen last night...

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by 91Eunos, Oct 17, 2009.

1. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    An old high school buddy of mine Maj. General James Terry, is running Ft. Drum now. I bet he's hell to work for.
  2. Bender

Bender I can pass this guy..

Oddometer:

I hope you're right.
  3. MoxNix

MoxNix Ex-ExPat

Oddometer:
    Rob just today put a deposit on a new 1200GS. US spec from BMW military sales in Heidelberg.
    [​IMG]

Same as his stolen bike only this one has the TPMS and anALARM!!!!!
  4. 91Eunos

91Eunos zipper suited sun god

Oddometer:
    :rofl

Thanks dude... We're back from the Porsche museum (took a friend who's in town for the week down to "Mecca" today!) and he's staying the night so we're celebrating w/ a good dinner and a couple bottles of vino from Deidesheim.

As you can see I found the secret stash of US-spec bikes left in Germany... 3 GS's left in Heidelberg, not just the GSA that I heard about ealier this week from BMW Motorrad.

Anyone here have an opinion on whether I should stick w/silver or get one of their 2 identical-spec bikes in matte black? I saw a bike here on ADVrider with black powder coated wheels and the full akrapovic exhaust...looked good. Murdered out.... :evil Tasty.
  5. 91Eunos

Oddometer:
    ...and tomorrow my bud and I are re-arranging my one-car garage by putting the kid's bikes out in a shed and moving my work bench to try to make room for the new GS (or my old one if it's recovered soon) in sideways either in front or behind the wife's wagon.

Still lots of issues w/this in my life right now but the storm clouds are starting to part...
  6. MoxNix

MoxNix Ex-ExPat

Oddometer:
    "Say, who wears the pants around here, H.I.?"

It is easier to protect a car, both from the elements and theft, than a bike.

Park the wagon queen family truckster outside.

"Say, who wears the pants around here, H.I.?"
  7. 91Eunos

Oddometer:
    :rofl Apparently we both do! We re-hung all the bicycles so they're away from the wall, put my plastic Rhino Ramps, the stack of summer/track wheels/tires in plastic bags and the kid's bikes out in the shed, turned the tool box 90 degrees (still clears the door) and there's now enough room to park a bike...I think.

After measuring based on the length/width in the 1200 owner's manual we used another neighbor's bike (your old 650 dude) for reference...we moved it out a bit to simulate the 1200...and her car clears it no problem. I'll have to pull her car out of the garage to get teh bike out every day but better safe than sorry.

Figured it out just after the nick of time :cry

8. BMWjono

BMWjono jono

Oddometer:
    I have the 2008 in Silver - no regrets after a year and a half. The GS painted parts are small in number and reasonably priced - easy to switch out if you decide later you prefer the matt, blue or yellow.
  9. 91Eunos

Oddometer:
    ...great point. The new C3 helms for teh Frau and I match my "old" silver bike so I'm leaning towards silver but those matte black bikes look pretty cool and I think they'd look unbelievable w/black wheels.

Really appreciate teh input.

10. gfspencer

gfspencer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're making me "home" sick. (I was stationed in Germany for four years. Hanau and Baumholder) I wish I could be visiting the Porsche museum right now. The last time I was there the "museum" was one room. :cry I did get to do the factory tour!!:clap

My 08 GS is dark gray. I've been pretty pleased with the color so far. I wish I had the black wheels. I'm switching my seat out to a black/silver GSA seat.
  11. Hi-zoot

Hi-zoot Living for the Weekend

Oddometer:
    I've never seen the 08 in "matt black" just matt grey. Is that a color offered in Germany or europe ? I've thought about changing my 08 namibia orange to gloss black...just think it would look better with the stainless side covers.
  12. CollinsB

CollinsB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love Texas (and Joe Horn)! One of the few states where you can do the right thing by shooting a thief and get away w/ it! :wink:
  13. kanhulk13

kanhulk13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Europe there is a class of real professional thieves. Usually a panel van with a ramp...pick it up, roll it in, deal with security systems later.

Get the biggest chain you can find and fix to solid object / post in the ground (but not to your wife's car).

Another cute trick I use is to run a medium size chain through the centre stand to the crash protectors (while the bike is on the stand)...then they cannot lower the bike off the stand and roll it without removing the chain.

eg. make it difficult!
  14. 91Eunos

Oddometer:
    great tip...

15. 91Eunos

Oddometer:
    My mistake, it's "Slate Grey Metallic Matte" (looks black-ish in person to me though):

[​IMG]
  16. MoxNix

MoxNix Ex-ExPat

Oddometer:
  17. czechyour6

czechyour6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope the bastards pulled a groin muscle lifting it out of there!
  18. 91Eunos

Oddometer:
    finally got the last of the paperwork from my insurance co. They're paying the full price of the bike, minus my deductable of course...and even covered all the BMW and Touratech stuff I put on (in fact they've already paid for that part).

I had to get some stuff notarized and mailed it in this afternoon along with the keys(!) to their Germany office. As soon as they get all that they'll cut me a check...In'sha' Allah I'll should be back - back in the saddle again by the weekend. :clap

The dealer with the new bike is sending me the forms to do the sale of teh US spec bike and I'll swing by the bank manana to make sure everything's still good to go. I may even make the drive to Heidelberg to put the rear rack on for the Vario case (bought a replacement today)!

Gotta start bonding w/the new baby! :D
  19. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:

91Eunos, Hi!

That's GREAT! Bond with that baby!

Liz
  20. 91Eunos

Oddometer:
    thanking you fo the karma liz...

The new bike has an Alarm and I've prepared a much more secure parking area but I'd still like that Karma to run over the Dogma of the asshats who stole my original bike! :nod