Phuck me! Bike stolen last night...

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by 91Eunos, Oct 17, 2009.

1. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:

Hi!

If I could, I would put this on your new bike like Trek did for Lance Armstrong on his new bike, after his racing bicycle was stolen last spring.

Interestingly, the stolen bike was recovered, and sold by Sotheby's last week for $130,000. The auction of Lance's "Art Bikes" raised $1,300,000 for LiveStrong, the cancer foundation.

Enjoy,

Liz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    So are you going to take the advice of all the wacko's and get a firearm and stay up late to catch the thief? Dave
  3. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    Stealing a BMW...now there is desperation. :lol3

Keep your eye out on eBay for the TT stuff...all being sold by the same person.
  4. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry about your loss, happy for you finding another bike of your dreams!

About the theft and thoughts that it couldn't be done from where it was parked... Determined professionals wouldn't even be slowed down by any of that. A friend pulled into his driveway in Fort Collins, CO at 4:00 one afternoon on his new 1200GSA (with all the luggage on it) to run into the house to grab something. He took the keys out of habit. When he came out three minutes later the bike was GONE. The neighborhood was full of kids playing outside and Moms watching them. One neighbor told the police that a pick-up truck with four beefy guys in the back and a driver in front had pulled up, put two pipes through the wheels with one guy on each end, lifted it into the truck and sped away. They never dropped it off the centerstand, rolled it, touched the bars, or tied it down once it was in the truck. The witnesses said it happened so fast they never even realized what had happened until my friend came out and started yelling. Obviously he was targeted. Nothing he could have done short of chaining it to something would have even slowed the thieves down. If it had been chained, they probably had a big-assed set of bolt cutters to deal with that little obstacle. My friend never saw his bike again.

I think you were hit by professionals, not your neighbor and not an inside job by a dealer :rolleyes . C'mon you guys.

So your precautions sound great, good for the new alarm, and don't forget to keep your insurance paid up!

Ride, ride, ride and bond with your new baby!

Doug
  5. 91Eunos

91Eunos zipper suited sun god

Oddometer:
    :rofl I"m prolly wackier than most but unfortunately all my firearms are back in the 'States. I did ask my cousin Tony (his real name btw) to contact his "associates" in Russia.... :mrskbasa Hell he probably knows the bastiges who stole the bike. Takes a thief to catch a thief I suppose...

6. 91Eunos

Oddometer:
    I've thought about this a lot and that makes more sense than the "crane on a truck" theory I came up with. I definitely think I was targeted. Multiple ALarms and locks for the next round... Probably time to get another dog or two too.

And seriously y'all, thanks to everyone for the karma...makes it easier.

I went and installed a case rack on the bike in the showroom this afternoon...the dealer gave me a key/alarm fob to have my vario case re-keyed. Still no bike though; probably somewhere in the Thursday-Saturday window thsi coming week.

Just in time for teh first snow forecast for next week (thanks to global warming)! :D

7. 91Eunos

Oddometer:
    yah...watchin e-bay.de, .fr and .pl

8. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer:
    Good to see you found a replacement...
  9. Beemer Bob

Beemer Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chill Dave!!!!!!! No one told him to buy a gun and not everyone who owns a gun is a wacko.... Maybe he should buy a Pit bull or a Rottwieler, do some real damage.
    Bob
  10. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I agree completely,lifting a 550lb bike over a fence cant be easy or quick,somebody would have noticed something. Had to be profesionals or something funny going on.
    Very strange.
  11. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Thats a bit sobering,lucky I own a V-Strom.too ugly to steal.
  12. RidingAgin

RidingAgin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the loss..

I really didn't think anyone would steal a 12GS, but with my paranoid outlook at life in Seatttle, I put an alarm system on my 12 GS. The only time I use is when I commute to work in S. Seattle, gives me some peace of mind. I also quit putting my bike on the center stand there also when realizing the real wheel could be take off in about 15 seconds..........

I hope the new bike works out well..
  13. 91Eunos

Oddometer:
    Back, back in the saddle y'all! Not great pics but all things considered with the total goat rope yesterday was, I'm a happy, happy guy!

[​IMG]

Note alarm fob in hand! :lol3 And yes my pant are falling down...I was half-undressed when my 10-year-old son came out to take a quick pic!

I didn't have time to ride today unfortunately...karate tournament almost all day and then it was raing to beat hell when we got home so I did my neighbor's brakes on her SUV (I'd promised to help her out while she was deployed)... That frees up manana if the weather's good! Wish me luck!

BTW, note teh red-eyed zombie cyborg I had installed in my garage as an additional security measure to the alarm and locked doors:

[​IMG]
  14. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Eeeeeeeegads yer ugly........Ooooooops.....sorry, that's the motorcycle.......Egggaaaaaads....yer both ugly!

:puke1
  15. 91Eunos

Oddometer:
    :huh Am I missing something here?

16. rkjjeep

rkjjeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it was a good natured ribbing - NICE bike.
  17. 91Eunos

Oddometer:
    Well, ugly or not, we'll be riding the black forest or Eifel mountains in the morning... Nice buzz kill.

:fyyff

18. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:
    91Eunos, Hi!

The bike ROCKS! As mentioned, Ride this one like YOU stole it!

Ride report tomorrow, yes?

Enjoy,

Liz

19. 91Eunos

Oddometer:
    thanks Liz...and thanks for the tips on bikes back in the 'States when it looked like there was no way I was going to find a replacement here in Europe. Karma...

The "unknown" (at least unknown to BMW Motorrad dealers here in Germany) stash in Heidelberg at a Mini/BMW car dealer of all places paid off. And even though this one doesn't quite feel like "my" bike yet, I'm sure that will change after a few trips!

Replacements for all the TT and BMW gear that was stolen w/my original bike last month are on order (thanks Chris!)...hope to do a ride to Stuttgart next weekend to have a wrench session in another ugly guy's garage! :lol3

20. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:
    That's so cool that you found one and no one else knew about it. How'd you trip over it? And what on earth is a BMW Car dealer doing with those bikes?

So what do you have for TT parts and farkles to put on the bike? Oh and you are certainly welcome for the connection, way back when.

Liz

Edit: Photos, more photos!! Photos of what it looks like now and the transition and after, ok?