PHX - Arizona Bike Week Dual Sport Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nightstalker, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    To kick off Arizona Bike Week, Arizona Trail Riders put on its 3rd annual dual sport event. The weather could not have been any better for yesterday's ride as more than 70 riders gathered in Mayer, AZ for the start of a 140 mile ride.

[​IMG]

Signup

[​IMG]

3 wheeler

[​IMG]
  2. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Overlooking riders on Old Sycamore Road.

[​IMG]

I was riding sweep for the C-Loop. Here are my sweep buddies Chuck and Austin.

[​IMG]

Fast and easy roads start the ride.

[​IMG]
  3. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    GPS check

[​IMG]

We were waiting at the Mingus Mountain turn off when these ADVRiders pulled up, fresh off the 2nd hero section.

[​IMG]

Dave on the Strom and FuzzyDude on the DRZ400.

[​IMG]

Dave had some course inspired bike modifications already this morning.

[​IMG]

He was trying to illustrate the size of the snipe he had to maneuver to avoid hitting.

[​IMG]
  4. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Then we arrived at the first special test section of the day. This tree was in the vertical position last time I went through here.

[​IMG]

Technically, you could go over the tree, but the ground was soft and sandy and off camber to boot. The consequences included falling to your death on these pungi sticks.

[​IMG]

The easy-er way was to go around by dropping down into the stream bed and climbing back up to the trail.

Did I mention that it was sandy??

[​IMG]

Sweep rider to the rescue!

[​IMG]
  5. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Man that KLR looks HEAVY!

[​IMG]

Video

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NTAwODc3MTA3Jms9bUtONUImYT03NzQ2NjQ1X1o5Z3pwJnU9TmlnaHRzdGFsa2Vy" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NTAwODc3MTA3Jms9bUtONUImYT03NzQ2NjQ1X1o5Z3pwJnU9TmlnaHRzdGFsa2Vy" width="640" height="480" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Hey, where did that come from??

<object width=640 height=480><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=aT01MDA4ODA2MzAmaz11RmJhYyZhPTc3NDY2NDVfWjlnenAmdT1OaWdodHN0YWxrZXImZT0x" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf" flashVars="s=aT01MDA4ODA2MzAmaz11RmJhYyZhPTc3NDY2NDVfWjlnenAmdT1OaWdodHN0YWxrZXImZT0x" width=640 height=480 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>
  6. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    And some more Video

<object width=640 height=480><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=aT01MDA4Nzg0NDQmaz00VnBMRSZhPTc3NDY2NDVfWjlnenAmdT1OaWdodHN0YWxrZXImZT0x" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf" flashVars="s=aT01MDA4Nzg0NDQmaz00VnBMRSZhPTc3NDY2NDVfWjlnenAmdT1OaWdodHN0YWxrZXImZT0x" width=640 height=480 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

<object width=640 height=480><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=aT01MDA4NzkwMDMmaz1yMnpneiZhPTc3NDY2NDVfWjlnenAmdT1OaWdodHN0YWxrZXImZT0x" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf" flashVars="s=aT01MDA4NzkwMDMmaz1yMnpneiZhPTc3NDY2NDVfWjlnenAmdT1OaWdodHN0YWxrZXImZT0x" width=640 height=480 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

690's are BADASS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KLR's are cool too.

[​IMG]
  7. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Moving right along. I bet you didn't know you were riding part of the Great Western Trail???

[​IMG]

On top of Mount Mingus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sweep team A meets sweep team C. Is that a Gas Gas 515?? I think so! I believe it's for sale.

[​IMG]
  8. Utah Bones

Utah Bones Gas X ready!

Oddometer:
    Great ride, where's the food and drinks?:D
  9. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    The C loop ran 89A into Jerome. An excellent stretch of road!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Ask and you shall receive. LUNCH!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ATR President and all round nice guy.

[​IMG]
  11. F_G

F_G new2ds

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everybody that came out for the ride yesterday. We sweeps had a great time and the carnage was very minimal.

I gotta get me one of these, this guy knows how to travel in style.......
    [​IMG]

So does his dog!!!
    [​IMG]

Staging and registration.....

The gathering
    [​IMG]

Lovely and efficient registration ladies
    [​IMG]

The Nightstalker, sweep rider extraordinaire
    [​IMG]

"Hero" section sweeps. Would you trust these guys? With my wife maybe, but never with my bike!!!
    [​IMG]

Custom graphics on a 950SE, done by a 4 and 6 year old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some good lookin' women on this ride, even caught one with her pants down
    [​IMG]
  12. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    The second half of the day went real fast! We ran into Ed on his disabled XR who had help on the way and then followed the Gilmore crew back to Mayer. There was some carnage on the last hero section, but you'll have to hear about that from someone who was there.

Last photo, Great Western Trail north of Dugas.

[​IMG]
  13. F_G

F_G new2ds

Oddometer:
    Did someone ask about lunch? D&K service in Cottonwood hosted lunch. Dave and Karen are really nice people.

Some hungry riders
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ATR's own Webmaster, Joe Cisneros, he keeps all the 1's and 0's in line.
    [​IMG]

Sweep riders stuffing their underworked faces. Why does Nightstalker have that evil grin on his face?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. F_G

F_G new2ds

Oddometer:
    No better way to break in a new KLR than a dualsport ride
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then a KLR that took an off route excursion down a 25 foot cliff!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Jamming

Jamming Desert RAT

Oddometer:
    Great report!!! Looks like you all fun with a capital F.
  16. phxman

phxman "Rocks are my Friends"

Oddometer:
    Wow..what a day. I have a few pictures to share but first things first.

BIG THANKS to everyone who participated in the 2009 Arizona Bike Week Charity Dual Sport ride yesterday. Putting these events together is a labor of love and seeing the parking lot fill up, and folks having good time, sure makes it all worth while. :D

Also props to GoAz for being our sponsor for event. These great people stepped in at the last minute and kept the momentum going. Thanks GoAz :wings

Last but certainly not least a huge Thank You to all my fellow Arizona Trail Riders members. What a great club :clap

Once the event got going my day was spent driving the support truck around and helping were I could. It was nice change but I gotta say I the routes better from the seat of a motorcycle. In any case I had a pretty easy day.

Here's a few of my pictures...........

A full parking lot :D
    [​IMG]

Bikes and Riders of all kinds........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Frank (aka Father Goose)..sure he can ride but can he operate a camer?
    [​IMG]

Most unique award goes to...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a few from the course...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See, Frank can ride...
    [​IMG]

Sweeping can be fun too...
    [​IMG]

ATR members "Special" Ned and Jim "New York? Why do you ask?" Nash making sure folks find their way through Hayfield Draw parking lot.
    [​IMG]

Lunch at D&K Service in Cotton Wood. That was some awesome BBQ!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A certain somebody arriving at the lunch stop on her very first, but definately not last, dual sport ride.
    [​IMG]

Thanks again to everyone for a great day. I don't have all the numbers yet but I think that together we raised about $2500.00 for the Arizona Off Highway Vehicle Coalition. Freakin Awesome! :clap
  17. Mil T

Mil T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey.
    That KLR looks like mine after a good day of riding. I don't remember my windshield coming off this trip. :huh
    Oh I see that's not my KLR.:clap
    Who ever owns that KLR, I have alot of expierience in replaceing, mending, rebuilding,salvaging, fabracating etc. etc. on blue 08 KLR's that get ridden hard. Please don't call me, I'm tired of doing it. Time to concentrate on the V-Strom riding for a while.:thumb
    Hee Hee.
    Sorry to see all the damage.
    I had a great time on the ride.
    Mil T
  18. BigDog_AZ

BigDog_AZ n00b

Oddometer:
    After years of supporting ATR by volunteering to work the club events, I finally decided it was time for me to participate in my first official dual sport event. Santa brought me a GPS for Christmas and we had a spare roll chart holder laying around so off I went. I pleaded with Frank (F_G) not to take a picture of me with my pants down, but that just seemed to egg him on. :evil I had an absolute BLAST and really enjoyed meeting up with other riders along the way. Can't wait for more! :super
  19. CrozB

CrozB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a blast riding yesterday even with my fender getting locked up in my skid plate, locking up my steering and sending me for a tumble :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don&#8217;t recall his name but one of the sweepers had a saw on his McGyver pocket knife and we were able to cut it free. I don&#8217;t recall his name but I did want to shout out a special thanks to him and also everyone else that made this ride possible.

Here are a few Photos of the ride I managed to take but most of mine are of the carnage of my tumble which I am sure no one wants to see :shog.

Broken Windshield
    [​IMG]

New Pin Striping
    [​IMG]

fuzzydude and I taking a break.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had a blast and the routes were great!!! :ricky

-D
  20. Dert Gerl

Dert Gerl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Way to go Trish! Glad you had fun!

Thanks to ATR for a great day in the dirt! Also a big thanks to Jeff Gursh and AZOHVC for all they do to keep our trails open!