PHX - Jungle Wash

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Nightstalker, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    I took a wrong turn coming out the bypass and noticed something was really not right with my bike as I turned it around. It was as if the engine was missing occasionally or something was hanging it up. Once on Log Corral Rd I took a closer look. My chain was drooping more than normal and the chain side adjuster was almost bottomed out! WTF?? Then the realization hit me... I changed my tire... which meant I had the axle out... which meant I... torqued... the axle nut? Aw CRAP! :doh Out came the tools. My finger-tight axle nut made it almost 23 miles! Even more amazing to me was that the loose axle didn't take me out on one of those rocky hills with my compromised balance from the ear infection!

I started actually appreciating my new rear tire with the axle locked down.

From Log Corral Rd the overheated Nightstalker took the "easy" way back to the trucks. Tony and Jrproper follwed me back on Pickaxe! Which turns out to be ~2 miles shorter than taking the highway!
    [​IMG]

This is the easiest section of it. :lol3
    [​IMG]

There are lots of short, steep, rutted downhills with loose rocks, followed by short, steep, rutted uphills with embedded rocks.
    [​IMG]

Sometimes the downs put you in rocky washes.
    [​IMG]

Here's Jrproper crossing some boulders coming out of one of those.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    More rocky wash on the Pickaxe trail.
    [​IMG]

And some fun sidehill action!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My GPS showed 34.3 miles for the day. It wasn't quite the "Death March", but close enough. It definitely didn't help my immune system. And if I didn't know it before, I think I learned my lesson about working on my bike when I'm not feeling well; Just leave it alone! :lol3
  3. Psycho18th

Psycho18th Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks like a great ride! I haven't run sycamore in a long time. I'll have to get out there sometime.
    Psycho
  4. Montek

Montek Eternal Noob

Oddometer:
    awesome video. looks like the heart rate was up in the target range:rofl:clap:lol3