PHX - Thanksgiving Coke Ovens Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Nightstalker, Nov 30, 2013.

1. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Shit man I feel really bad as the little bike was riding great (except for the first gear thing) right up until the end. :cry

It even got me thinking about owning a little YZ. But I'm notorious for killing bikes so I'm not sure it would last too long under my punishment. :shog
  2. Dirtbiker78

Dirtbiker78 Getting there...

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean. That little bike's so much fun to ride but it's seriously hard work in the area we were in cause it's all or nothing all the time. Unfortunately she has to stand for a little while now, but I'll fix her up next year and get all the niggly little problems sorted out.

No worries Julio, the way my luck runs, things like this do happen, "it's just one of those things" :shog
    It's not like it burst into flames or anything. The problems are solvable :thumb
  3. sonoran

sonoran a treat especial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only took you an hour or so to kill that one. :lol3
  4. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    We where in the big wash at the end, and I was in about 4th gear twisting it hard and I hear this chain saw running up my back side..... Brrrraaaappppp, around me goes 'Dos on the gas hard!:lol3 I was like, WOW that little 1-2-5 was moving!

I was hauling butt when he came around me..:D

Just another story for the camp fire.:evil or sponge bath!:deal
  5. fanatic291

fanatic291 Desert Tortoise

Oddometer:
    That looks like a great ride. I rented a little WR250 the other day and had a blast. Time to get a trail dedicated bike, so my DR has someone to talk to in the garage.
  6. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I'm getting a lot better at this. :lol3

Man, I was loving the little one-two-five.
    :nod

With its first gear and idle problems I was finding it really hard to go slow on it. :ricky
    If I wasn't on it all the time it would bog down and stall. Giving me a green light to flog a bike is a recipe for bad things to happen. :shog

Fanatic-
    I think you're doing the right thing. I went through a bunch of different stages with my old DR and finally came to the conclusion that it's just better to keep it a dualsport and get something lighter and more suited for trail riding.
  7. Montek

Montek Eternal Noob

Oddometer:
    nice ride guys! blood! blown up bike! bikes on thier sides! 2 lost riders! Adventure at its best!
    The coke ovens rides are just so brutal. My time in Yuma was yummy but not yummy enough balance out missing "THE RIDE". Maybe next year!
    Monte
  8. fanatic291

fanatic291 Desert Tortoise

Oddometer:
    I was talking to Jason at AZ Moto about the differences between the 250s and 450s. I think I will look for a 250 and get really strong on the single track. If I do end up feeling like I need more power, I can get a bigger bike, but I really don't want to get another big bike and lengthen my learning curve.
  9. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I really wish I would have started riding dirt on a small bike. Instead like you, I started my off-road learning in the deep sands of the New Jersey Pine Barrens on a heavy pig of a DR650. :twitch
  10. Dirtbiker78

Dirtbiker78 Getting there...

Oddometer:
    I've had 250's and 450's and I can attest to that advice. The modern 250's have ample power and you'll probably find you'll be able to ride it faster over rough terrain than you would a 450. They're also a lot more forgiving when you're tired and your fine motor skills go to shit.

But that's just my opinion and not based on any scientific data what-so-ever :lol3
    There is also a lot to be said for the "fun factor" of riding a small bike fast as apposed to riding a big bike slow.
  11. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    Great RR, loved it!
  12. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are considering KTM's the 350 is a great compromise. I dropped down from a 450 to the 350 and haven't looked back. It weighs and rides like a 250 but the power is much closer to that of a 450. They are fantastic ST wagons but the 6 speed makes them a very reasonable dual sport for shorter rides.