PHX - Wild Kingdom

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nightstalker, May 9, 2009.

1. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    My dirt bike club, Arizona Trail Riders had its semi-annual Adopt-A-Highway cleanup scheduled for this morning and the weatherman had triple digit temperatures forecast for this afternoon. It would be hard to find volunteers to that would want to get baked on a ride afterwards in the oven I call Phoenix.

It was a balloon kind of morning in north Phoenix on my way to our cleanup site.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I got to the meeting spot early and went for a little off road excursion. Ran into a pack of coyotes out in the desert. They were much quicker than my camera, but I managed to catch the last one sneeking off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I return to find the gang starting to accumulate. Our Adopt-A-Highway is located at the entrance to a large OHV riding area west of Lake Pleasant on the Carefree Highway at mile marker 11.5.

[​IMG]

Sully, OHV ambassador and Adopt-A-Highway manager extraordinaire!

[​IMG]

Pammy rode her Rebel 250 to the cleanup. Maybe she'd be interested in a Nightstalker ride afterward. If she had brought her dirtbike, I bet I could have talked her into it.

[​IMG]

Our man Eric found these really cool red bugs.

[​IMG]

Once again, there is a 1 mile stretch of beautiful highway for the world to enjoy.

[​IMG]
  5. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Cyberdos rang me up on the cell, his earlier plans had fallen through and he wanted to know if I was still looking for a riding partner today. Oh yes I was!! We met up down the road from the cleanup and took the first opportunity to get off the road.

[​IMG]

We made our way to the "Boulders" riding area, aka Mike Marker 11.5, and STARted our TREK into higher elevations. The marked trails were a combination of whoop-de-do's and fast washes.

[​IMG]

I come around a tight turn in the wash to find a herd of javelina popping out of their den in a recess in the bank! Again, the wildlife proved too quick for even the fast shutter of the Nightstalker. I did manage to capture Cyberdos on film though.

[​IMG]

I was wildly waving my arms in the air telling Cyberdos my javelina story when I saw this piglet left behind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little piggy rejoined the rest of her group and we continued on.
  6. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Morgan City wash is fast and goes on for miles.

[​IMG]

I had missed a turn and the wash quickly narrowed down to ATV width.

[​IMG]

I stopped and took some video of Cyberdos.

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NTMyMjk0NDIzJms9YUdCdHImYT04MTU2NzYzX0ZYdW1SJnU9TmlnaHRzdGFsa2Vy" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NTMyMjk0NDIzJms9YUdCdHImYT04MTU2NzYzX0ZYdW1SJnU9TmlnaHRzdGFsa2Vy" width="640" height="480" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

It was way too hot to be crawling through this first gear part of the wash. That and the fact that if we continued, we'd end up on Loop 12, a challenging section of single track for a dirt bike. After a short rest, we turned back.

[​IMG]
  7. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Back on track, CB Road to Castle Hot Springs Road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once on Castle Hot Springs, we came up on this old fellow on a horse waving his hat at us. We pulled to the side of the road and shut off the bikes. Just behind him was a herd of cattle they had just rounded up.

[​IMG]

Cyberdos captured the moment on his camera too.

[​IMG]

The guy pushing the gate closed had just fallen off his horse and was really pissed!! He was yelling at everyone and waving his arms around. I think it was scaring the moo cows.

[​IMG]
  8. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    We rode Castle Hot Springs to Castle Creek road and headed north. Awesome scenery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    We got to CK "Double" and set up for a photo shoot.

[​IMG]

Nightstalker would go first. Oh my! First gear is bad. No, really, I was trying to pull a nose wheelie tail whip...

[​IMG]

Second gear is much better.

[​IMG]

Cyberdos tests his new suspension.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    We were in desperate need of beers to quench our parched throats and burgers to calm our rumbling stomachs, so we hightailed it to the Wild Horse Saloon. It was a most awesome 70 mile loop. Nearly 140 miles door to door for me, I'm sure it was a bit farther for Cyberdos.

[​IMG]

Only 3500 feet. We're going to have to get much higher than that to beat the summer heat!

[​IMG]
  11. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer:
    ----
  12. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride today although the heat was beating the crap out of us by the end.

I took my little Oregon Scientific camera for the first time today and tried capturing some film. Most of it was crap as I pointed the cam too high and could only see the sky. I did capture a get-off I had trying to keep up with Nightstalker. I was looking down at the cam to see if it was recording when I looked up and saw Terry with his brakes on. Aw crap. :lol3

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="300" data="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"> <param name="flashvars" value="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=a0d4b90471&photo_id=3517756034"></param> <param name="movie" value="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377"></param> <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=a0d4b90471&photo_id=3517756034" height="300" width="400"></embed></object>