PIAA 510 Installation tips

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaftdrive, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Shaftdrive

Shaftdrive Passion or Sickness?

Oddometer:
    I'm going to instal the PIAA 510 lights on my '05 GS 1200, just wondering if there are anything I should watch out for. I got some great brackets from Adventurers Workshop (Thanks to Gadget Boy). Is there any danger to the Can Bus system? Any one who can share some tips would be greatly appreciated!!!
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can't wire them directly to the bike's wiring. Your kit should come with everything you need to wire it up properly if you go directly to the battery. It should look something like this:

[​IMG]

However, wiring it up like that has one main drawback, you will be required to shut it off every time manually, and if you don't you will kill your battery fast.

To prevent that you need to get your power through an additional relay that is activated by your ignition.

[​IMG]
    This diagram shows a fuse box, but you could substitute the fuse box for the hot lead to the PIAA harness. Take your signale wire (hot from the ignition) from either your accessory plug under the seat, diagnostic plug blue/green wire, or your parking lamp on the front of the bike.

Or, add a fuse box for your other accessories like Gerbings and such.

[​IMG]

Jim :brow
  3. Shaftdrive

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim, Just wondering, will there be a fault message showing up if I take my signal from the parking light? If so, is there anyway around this?
  4. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    No fault, the signal for the relay requires very little current. The bike will never notice it.

5. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
  7. Shaftdrive

Oddometer:
    JIm,

In regards to the relay, I believe the Piaa 510 kit comes with a relay. Do I just connect the appropriate wires to the positive and negative sides of the battery and find a live wire (possibly from the front parking light or auxilliary socket, like you mentioned) to the switch???
  8. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Yes, if you find a "live wire", say from the low beam, or the parking light, and run that through the switch, it will shut off with the ignition and prevent unintentional battery drain!

9. Shaftdrive

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim,
    I guess to hide the wiring properly I'll have to take the gas tank off. I'll be sure to watch the DVD you produced (which I purchased) to do the job. I watch that DVD just for fun!!! Thanks for the tips:clap
  10. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, winters really are tough up there, aren't they?:lol3

Thanks, I am glad I could help!

11. mhkpilot

mhkpilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do the 510's fit on a stock '08 Adventure light bar? I'm wanting to replace the stock fog lamps (crap) with new PIAA 510's and am wondering if I'll also need to buy a replacement bracket, or if I can just remove the stock lights and bolt on the PIAA's.
  12. mhkpilot

mhkpilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BMW adventure...
  13. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie GS Boxers forever.......

Oddometer:
    I used the parking light for the relay power. Just fair warning, it took me almost as long to pry the parking light bulb out as it did to do the entire other mounting work including the light bar. Maybe the rubber fitting on my bike was particularly dry and stuck. I did not want to destroy the fit and ended up lubricating the thing with wd-40 for about an hour and finally got the plug and bulb out with surgical clamps.:huh

The parking light is great because it works with the ignition and you can still turn the 510's on and off with the supplied switch. I just leave mine on all the time.

Good luck!
  14. TexasRed

TexasRed Not very fast

Oddometer:
    Hey Jim,
    I did this on my 1150GS and the lights stay on when the ignition is turned off. Got PIAA 540's and used their relay. Any ideas? (I bought your DVD's so just hoping you wouldn't mind dishing out some advice, oh and I watched them to... but not for fun) I linked up to the low-beam light. Maybe picked the wrong wire??
  15. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Your low beam is not the brown wire, so that may help.

My guess is that you have the signal wire and the power wire reversed on the relay.

Check the numbers, not necessarily the position on the wiring diagram:

[​IMG]
    Assume the horn is your lights.

16. TexasRed

TexasRed Not very fast

Oddometer:
    I am hoping that will fix it. Will not get a chance to get to it untill Sat. am. I did connect to the brown wire. Thank you very much for the advice... and DVD's.