PIAA lights on 950

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by rcniss, Feb 5, 2006.

1. RAGrote

RAGrote Fishin w PICO

Oddometer:
    Do we have any links to this plug and play kit for the Euro H7 headlight (which I already have)????
    In English preferably.
  2. Swashplate

Swashplate LUV TO HVR

Oddometer:
    I got my lights w/bracket and horn relocator bracket from Ernie for $110 USD. It took me about 1.5 hours to wire up and mount. pics to follow soon on my website

http://members.cox.net/ktamcm/

BTW I have the Euro headlamp w/Euro Switch and wow whata diff. Can't wait to take it out at night when it warms up a little.
  3. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing some pics
    Ernie
  4. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    I still have a few more sets of lights left. I got a screaming deal on them and it gives me a reason to keep busy fabricating more light mounts. Thanks to those of you that have already purchased. I'm in Santa Fe NM at this time on vacation with my family. Having a great time. Wish you were all here. Great riding down here. Way different from Minnesota. Ernie
  5. rcniss

rcniss Not that way!!

Oddometer:
    Santa Fe NM???. . . .Here is what I think of that. :fitz :fitz :fitz

You suck Ernie. We just had 4" of snow last night :cry :puke1

Seriously though. . .hope you and the family are having a great time :freaky

Randy
  6. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    I'm installing my headlight kit from Ernie today. Everything is very well made, looks to be a great solution with headlights installed behind the grill.

This is my first PIAA kit, and so far impressed. The wiring harness is well made, loomed and detailed. Relay is very nice. Leagues better than my Hella kit on my truck.

For those installing the Euro light kit, it would be nice to do a comparo, I am a big fan of aux lighting, nice to have a back up if your bulbs burn out.

Plus $110 bucks?!! For the light bar AND PIAA lights?? That's cheaper than you can buy the lights online!!

Thanks Ernie.

Peter
  7. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys, Just got back from Arizona and New Mexico. Had a great time but also had some wild weather. We went to the grand canyon on tuesday and woke up to six inches of snow on wednesday morning. Crazy. Glad to hear the good feedback on the light installations. Time to get caught up in the shop this week. It's tough to be back. Ernie
  8. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    I received my PIAAs and kit from Ernie this week and installed them yesterday! Very nice indeed. I took a bunch of pictures that may help out anyone else considering doing the install.

[​IMG]
    Clearing everything out of the way to do the install.

[​IMG]
    The wire harness needs to be relocated back one hole. Unbolt it and move it after installing the PIAAs.

[​IMG]
    Bracket and lights installed. It's pretty tight in there!

[​IMG]
    Lights installed and horn relocated.

[​IMG]
    Side shot. There's plenty of room on this side. I considered placing the large bundle of wires here.

[​IMG]
    I decided to install the wires here, between the rails. I'm not sure that I'm happy with that, but it does work.

[​IMG]
    Relay install. Like it was meant to be there.

[​IMG]
    Plenty of clearance with the high fender.

[​IMG]
    Another closeup of the wires. After much thought, I decided to use both the constant hot and switched ACC factory lines. I replaced the 5A fuse for the constant with a 10A to power the lights. I tapped the power for the fog light switch off the ignition ACC line, since the LED illuminates green or red all the time, you don't want it on a constant hot.

[​IMG]
    Install complete, lights off.

[​IMG]
    Lights on.

[​IMG]
    I had no idea where to put the switch. I wanted someplace with easy access, so with the supplied hook and loop fasteners, I put it here!

I really wanted to use the high beam flasher, but I was running long on time and wasn't sure that it would work. If anyone has done that, please post some instructions.

I haven't gotten to play with the new lights in the dark yet, I'll give you all a heads up once I do.
  9. 2jet

2jet Adventurer

Oddometer:

You could put the switch inside one of the handguards. I'm sure you could find a nice flat spot in there for the hook and loop fastener and it would be easy to lift a finger off the grip and activate the switch while riding. Preferably on the left side so you don't have to worry about your throttle hand.

10. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    I put my switch inside the glove box, drilled a hole for the fitting, and epoxied it down. Works great as I didn't want the little LED glowing at me.

[​IMG]
    I bundled my wires and placed them right behind the headpost, although I do like your placement of the wires between the rails. I was worried about chafe, so I shrinkwrapped the wires where they go underneath the rails and anywhere else there was a risk.

Did you shorten up the harness at all?

I did a write up a few days ago with 12V lead for tank bag and the Light Bar kit. One thing I was unsure about was the reflection of the lights back in the cockpit. I have tried them out at night, don't really notice it.

I will still try without the grill to see if it improves.

Still very happy with the kit and lights.

Nightstalker, how tight was your horn installation? I had to bend the bracket so the horn wouldn't rub.
  11. MarkN

MarkN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Getting a bit personal aren't you?:rofl :rofl :rofl :lol3
  12. mlemke

mlemke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The braket is engineered and built perfect. :clap

Spent 45 minutes mounting it at lunch today and it fits like a glove. Tomorrow will be the electrical hookup, so thanks to all for your posts on wiring locations.

Mike
  13. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    No, I did't shorten the harness. A bunch of butt connectors is worse than a wad of folded up cable. And, I wasn't in the mood for soldering.

Horn fit like a glove, no modification necessary.
  14. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Nice job on the installations and pictures guys. I'm very happy with the feedback I've been hearing about the light kit. Please feel free to spread the word. I have a few sets out in the shop all ready to go and word of mouth is my only real advertising. Thanks much to those that have puchased from me. It was a fun project to build and I'm glad to hear they are serving you well. Twin headlight Ernie
  15. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Ernies the man!!

Here are a couple pics I took of Todds 950 at Ernies house with the light setup. Todds bike was the prototype bike for th lights.

[​IMG]

Todd let me take his 950 out for a ride ( what was he thinking? ) but this shot gives you a view of the rear rack plate that Ernie made for him. Looks cool! I think I might have to get one of those for my XR.
    [​IMG]

Hey ernie, I still need to get my bike up to your place to fab those racks. Maybe in a couple weeks whe I get it back running.

Ernie makes great stuff..If you need lights for your 950, get ahold of him.
  16. mlemke

mlemke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did shorten the harness wires. The leads to the lights, the leads to the switch and the leads to the power source. Sure it took a little extra time, but I'm kind of wierd with this bike....perfection is the only way I'll modify it.....worth the extra time.

Use the correct gauge sized solderable butt connectors with flexible rubber covers/shields on each connection (shields on the "hot" side). I also used lots of heat shrink tubing to protect and color code the different devices in this circuit. My 10 year old dog could now disassemble and reassemble this system without damaging it.

If you do them all, you will not end up with additional butt connectors, and if you do them right, it will be simpler and stronger than the connections used by PIAA on the harness.

Ernie's bracket was just to perfect to half ass the wiring portion of this install by zip-tying the excess wire from the harness. No disrespect intended "Nightstalker."
    :freaky

Thank you Ernie for a great product at an excellent price. I'm very surprised that you still have some left. We know you aren't getting rich with this product, and it is fantastic. Thank you again for the contribution.
    :clap

Regards,

Mike

17. Bokrijder

Bokrijder Soyez sans que peur

Oddometer:
    guys discussed attributes of Xenon lighting, discussion moved to the possibility of using a system salvaged from an auto wrecking yard, discussion over difficulty in achieving proper focus and so forth in going this route. Guys got together and did a group auto conversion kit purchase. Split the kits up and divided cost. Normal discussion over hooking up wiring and installation. Guys were pleased with results. Last posts, one was asking about comparison between effectiveness on lit and unlit highways. (note in Belgium and some of The Netherlands, highways are lit with overhead street lights, like riding on an interstate with overhead flood lights)
    They ordered VW conversion kits, but I don't know if VW uses the same standard headlight here in the states.

MJStone
  18. Bokrijder

Bokrijder Soyez sans que peur

Oddometer:
    Refers back to a post earlier in the thread, sorry. The question is - Have any gone the headlight route and does it get a thumbs up or down?

MJStone
  19. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    OK, I win the 'dim bulb' award and will freely admit that wiring is not my long suit. But, I don't understand the description of where to get the power from. :confused The PIAA instructions show getting power directly by attaching the leads to the battery terminals. I don't see how that will work very well as the leads don't look long enough to reach. That also does not appear to be what is described above. All the rest of the instructions make perfect sense. If anyone could provide some details (and pictures if possible) of the connections to the power source, I would be VERY greatfull.:bow
  20. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I cheated!

I didn't feel like running lines down to the battery, especially a 25A line. The PIAA's are 70W total, which at 12V is about 6A (at 14V it's only 5A), so I bumped up the KTM ACC line with a 10A fuse (instead of the stock 5A) and hooked the PIAA's in there. If you are uncomfortable doing this, don't! However, in my book 6A is close enough to 5A to take the risk. I'll let you all know when my bike catches on fire, hopefully I'll have the camera handy!