PIAA lights on 950

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by rcniss, Feb 5, 2006.

1. advridergirl

advridergirl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Installed my PIAAs!!!:rofl We found bolts to share under the headlight cover that make for a slick setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All done :clap Now need to find a dark country road to aim them....
    [​IMG]
  2. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark, Your light kit did ship out today. Enjoy! Please post some pictures when you get it installed. Thanks again. Ernie
  3. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to let you all know I'll be at the Enduraid rally this weekend with about 50 of my closest friends. Randy will be there with his light kit equiped 950 for those who might like to see it first hand. I'll be riding my twin headlight equiped KLR. Can't wait till friday! Ernie
  4. rcniss

rcniss Not that way!!

Oddometer:
    Just installed a new set of Dunlop 908 Rally Raid tires for the Enduraid this weekend. They look like fun without even moving if you know what I mean.
    Can't wait to get them on the trail!

Fun in the woods will be had by all :evil
  5. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Made it back from the the Enduraid rally in one piece. The KLR is in one piece as well with a few new tweeks. Nothing that can't be fixed with a couple of beers. Greg was there with his new KTM 950. Hope to sell him a set of lights in the near future. Ernie
  6. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    HI Guys, Just wanted to let you know that I got some quality time in the shop and made up a few more light brackets. They are still available and ready to go. Thanks to all that have purchased in the past and thanks for all the nice complements. Twin headlight Ernie
  7. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Hey Michael, Your Piaa light kit went out UPS yesterday. You should have it in about 3 to 4 days. Thanks. Ernie
  8. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

Finished installing Ernies light kit with the 55 watt PIAA's and his trick bracket. Everything went smoothly as all the parts fit well. I did however shorten up the PIAA harness which was way too long.

After seeing how everyone else wired theirs I decided to use my high beam switch to activate the PIAA's. Real simple on my 05 S model. I found a solid white wire gets hot when the high beam switch is activated and traced it through the harness to where the loom plugs in under (behind) the head light. I spliced in the PIAA switch's power lead (trigger) and it works perfect. I powered the lights by splicing into a lead I had previously installed for a 12 volt power source. This lead came directly from the battery through a fuse.

For the time being I mounted the PIAA switch inside the left handguard but will probably move it to the glove box after testing it awhile as it would only be used to disable the PIAA's.

A quick test tonight and I'm very pleased though I definitely need to adjust the beam.

Just want to thank Ernie for a quality product that delivers as promised.

Jack
  9. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Hey Jack, Glad to hear that you got the light kit installed. Thank you for the nice complement. Ernie
  10. Freedomrider

Freedomrider B Wall

Oddometer:
    Hello Ernie,

Gees I love that light kit. I sent you an e-mail but I thought I would post here as well. Do you have anymore of the light kits in 55 watt? I would be interested in purchasing if you do. Please drop me a line. Hope to hear from you.

Thanks
  11. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    I am all out of the 55 watt kits at this time. I was able to order some more 35 watt Piaa lights in a slightly different style but they will still work well with the bracket. I can still be reached at dakotabeemer@hotmail.com Thanks Ernie
  12. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    OK I lied. I found one more set of the 55 watt lights in my vending trailor that I did'nt know I had. The first $140.00 gets them. I have lots of the 35 watt kits available for the price of $120.00. Less wattage but still a good deal. Its like getting a extra highbeam and goes in a space that is'nt being used anyway. Not to mention it keeps the lights out of harms way. Once again thanks to all the guys that purchased the kit from me in the past. I hope to keep a good thing going. Twin headlight Ernie
  13. TipOver

TipOver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ernie, will your light bracket work with HB Engine Guards? Looks like the HB crossbar would interfer. :ear

Thanks
  14. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    I did sell a light kit to a guy from Wisconsin that had the H/B crash bars but he liked the light kit so much he said he would either find a way to modify the crash bars or replace them with something else. I never have seen the end result. I hope to bump into him someday to see first hand what he came up with. I can't imagine it would be too tough to modify the crash bars to work with the light mount at the mounting points. Ernie
  15. Freedomrider

Freedomrider B Wall

Oddometer:
    Ok, I installed the lights yesterday. They are absolutely great. I got the 55s from Ernie and just in the darkness of my garage (haven't ridden at night yet) they make an incredible difference. I still have to find a final spot for the switch but that will come. At the same time, I wired two power plugs. I ran them off the Acc that runs constant off the battery. I put one in the glove box and the second I zip tied to the bundle of
    wires and cables.

The kit was pretty easy to install. I used all the advise from this thread. You guys really made it easy. Thanks Ernie. You put together a great product. There are some companies out there that could take some lessons from you.
  16. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Just a little post to let Russell know that his light kit is on the way to California UPS. Thanks for the order. Enjoy. Ernie
  17. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ernie, my lights won't come on any more and I have checked and what it seem to be is the relay, power going in relay clicks when the button is pushed but no power out to the lights where do I get another relay? Did you ever find out if the 55w bulbs would work in these lights?
  18. rcniss

rcniss Not that way!!

Oddometer:
    Just looked into this myself and NO the 55w will not work in the 35w PIAA 001 series acording to PIAA.:cry Check out the web site below for a dealer near you. They should be able to help you with the relay problem. I just placed an order for some 35w bulbs at my local dealer and I had them in 1 day and they where $12 for a set of two. :clap

http://www.piaa.com/
  19. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Doug, you can get replacement relays down at the auto parts store. Pretty much universal. They also sell them at Radio Shack.

Mine would not work as well, traced it all the way down to the battery. My ring terminal got pinched in the battery box, neg was just not connected.
  20. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, for the help.