PIAA lights on 950

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by rcniss, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    Looks like the Piaa light web ring beat me to the punch. Thanks for being on the ball guys. Ernie
  2. Freedomrider

Freedomrider B Wall

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to say thanks. Have had my lights for over a week now and just love them. Took them out in the dirt at night and they make a big difference. Well worth it Ernie. Thanks
  3. rcniss

rcniss Not that way!!

Oddometer:
    Ernie,

Got any photos of the new style PIAA's that you have been using to replace the 001 series? Sure would like to see how they look. :evil

I too can't say enough about how much I like my lights. They have been through everything this summer, mud, rain, hard off roading and even a couple of spills :eek1 The location of the lights for off road riding just can't be beat. There is just no way for them to get hit by anything!!

Great job Ernie!:clap :clap :clap

See ya at the Dells Rally. :freaky
  4. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Gents,

My PIAA bulbs have both burned out. Not too much usage, although I do run them with highbeams which are usually on.

I am planning on mounting a set of Hella 500 on the crashbars. In the middle of the install, I decided to see if the Hella bulbs would work in the PIAA fixture. They do and are Hella bright!! 55 Watts baby!!

You can buy these bulbs at almost any store, check out this store, as they were most helpful and had great prices. www.rallylights.com

I am thinking I will mount Hellas on the crashbars with 55W bulbs, and buy 55W yellow tint bulbs for the PIAAs. Think 200W of Aux lighting is too much for the stock system?
  5. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thats great, you don't think it's to much power for the wiring do you? I went to a Piaa dealer and of course they don't carry the relay so they called Piaa to get a part number, the girl from Piaa asked for my name and address and said they would send me the relay under warranty, they didn't even ask where i bought them or how long I have had them, that saved me about 40 bucks! I think I will try the Hella bulbs.
  6. rcniss

rcniss Not that way!!

Oddometer:
    sailah,

That's great information - Thanks!

Let us know how the 55W work in the PIAA's. According to PIAA the fixture will not handle the extra heat of a 55W bulb but I am thinking this may be a line of BS. :puke1
  7. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    I did notice quite a bit of heat coming from the bulbs, but they are offered in 55w right? Whats 20W among friends? Starting the project today, I'll lett you know, if I am not back in 8 hours send the fire dept and insurance agent, but not in that order.
  8. rcniss

rcniss Not that way!!

Oddometer:
    Just got a photo from Ernie that shows the 950 PIAA light bracket with the new 002 series PIAA light.

Here ya go. . . .
    [​IMG]
  9. advjackass

advjackass orange crusher

Oddometer:
    i read the post about hepco becker bars but has any mounted them with bars. i hope it will work.:huh anybody?
  10. Doug Matson

Oddometer:
    Just put the 55w bulbs in and I like it, more light. I found that the 55w bulbs produce quite a bit more heat but I don't think it's to much for the housing, I am going to shorten up all the wiring loom.
  11. rcniss

rcniss Not that way!!

Oddometer:
    That's good news - thanks Doug!
  12. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys, I just got back from the Wisconsin Dells rally. I hoped to catch a look at a KTM 950 with the Hepco & Becker crash bars on it but none was to be found. I sent a prototype light mount to Big Dog down in Illinois UPS to mount on his bike. I hope to hear back from him down the road to find out if the bracket fits good or perhaps needs to be tweeked a little bit. I'll keep you posted on the fit. Hope to hear back from Big Dog in a couple of weeks. Ernie
  13. Doug Matson

Oddometer:
    Send me the mount as I will be mounting mine when I get back from the "Fall Torrey Gathering".
  14. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Ernie,

If you are going to make a mount for the Hepco and Becker bars why not make them to fit the KTM crash bars as well. You would have a lot bigger market assuming it could be done with the same mounts.

Thanks
    Jack
  15. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    I was'nt aware that the KTM bar got in the way of the light kit. I was at the Great Gravel road ride when I saw Big Dog's 950 there with the H/B crash bars on it. I was only able to eye ball it from under the fairing but hope it will fit OK. Wish I could have the bike in the shop for even one hour to check everything out. I'm suprised the H/B bars mount under the fairing the way they do. The fairing stay is pretty light. Not exactly a great spot to transfer the impact from a crash. I'm headed for the Falling Leaf rally in a couple of weeks. If anybody knows of a such equiped 950 ask them to look me up at the rally. Ernie
  16. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Ernie--got your lights today---thanks so much---------I am working long hours and days but hope to be off Sunday and get them mounted. I'll let you know how everything works out. After all my playing this year---it's back to work for a little while :D

I haven't missed the Falling leaf rally in 20 years I bet. I am planning on being in Mexico this year during the rally-------if that falls thru I'll surely see you there.
  17. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Ernie,

Mis-communication, I thought the new kit was for mounting on the crash bars. I reread the posts and get it now. I have KTM crash bars and they do not interfere with your standard kit.

Jack
  18. Two Dot

Two Dot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Cal (winter) Montana (summer) NC (spring&fall)
    Please forgive if this is 205.

PO mounted theses PIAA's on these HB crash bars:

[​IMG]

I don't know who makes the mount. I think they are too close to the tanks, as they have caused the paint to crack and flake. I have fooled with adjusting them away from the bodywork to no avail. I guess the damage is done.

ANother pic:

[​IMG]

I will say the mounts are rock solid and look good.

I hope this helps.
  19. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Hey Jack, Thanks for clearing that up. Ernie
  20. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Hi Greg, I got your check in the mail today. I'll ship your light kit UPS ground tomorrow. You should have it in two days. Thanks for the order. See you at Enduraid 07 if not sooner. Ernie