Piaggio MP3

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by danger_dave, Feb 15, 2007.

1. danger_dave

danger_dave @daves.place

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Recently attended the NZ launch of the Triumph Tiger at a swank Mission Bay, Auckland cafe.

Triumph NZ are also the importers of Piaggio and Vespa brands to the these shores and they had the '07 Triumph range and the new Piaggio 3-wheeler on display for the Journos and hangers on to throw a leg over.

In between going silly on a Speed Triple and being taken by the Tiger (note professional grade alliteration) I had to have a belt on the Scooter.

Was fortunate to score a reasonably good ride on a Vespa GT250ie a few months ago so have that as a point of reference. The three wheeler takes longer to get going and launch from the lights, but once mobile there is not a lot of difference. The MP3 does appear VERY stable underway and that's about the only thing noticeable about the 3-wheels when in motion.

I think if you are the type of person that takes life very seriously the mp3 ain't for you.

It's appearance can be both unique and, I suspect especially with a 6'5" 'occupant' like me, somewhat comical. It's a vehicle that people generally look at and smile. And it makes you feel like smiling back

It would also suit people with some disability or leg problems as front wheels and the steering system - that manages the front axles and steering while the scooter leans - can be locked in place under 10kph via a switch on the handlebars.

You can roll up to the traffic lights eg. slow down enough - engage lock and stop without putting your feet down on the ground. It also parks without the (included) side stand.

In summary - not quite as fast accelerating as a 250ie but other than being more stable, rides pretty much the same as one. Very comfortable, unique and quite some fun.

dd
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the review.... I've been waiting to hear from you!!! :thumb
  3. danger_dave

danger_dave @daves.place

Oddometer:

Sigh....So many toys - so few hours. :D :D :D
  4. Mika S

Mika S JC & MC: Double Freedom

Oddometer:
    Yo, dave!
    I saw one in the Helsinki mc show this month and I might be interested in buying one for my wife. I was planning to let her start her biking career with my old Funduro, but she got intimidated by the hight / high center of gravity / maneuvrability (difficultwordhowdoyaspellit?) at zero speed. Also, an automatic transmission would not hurt. A regular 2-wheel scooter would be a yawn, but the three-wheeler, like you said, brings smile on people's faces.

Being an adv rider myself (12GS) I just have to ask: Did you have a chance to do any riding on unpaved/gravel roads? :ear

The local agent says they won't import any other color than black this year, so it seems I may need to buy it somewhere else. I'm picturing myself picking one up in Italy and making a real adventure ride (2-on!) over the Alps and all the way to Finland. Well that'd be an adventure to start with!

So I'm interested in hearing more of your first hand experience :ear on the trike :evil yeah that's what it should be called right:deal ?
  5. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    thanks for the pics and review.. interesting concept, especially for someone who is new to scooters or has balance issues (like my wife) or is incapacitated in some way.. I like it.
  6. iceman

iceman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the 650

Attached Files:

7. danger_dave

danger_dave @daves.place

Oddometer:
    No sorry - only zipped around inner urban and up the hill to where i grabbed that shot.

One of the guys down here took his PX adventure riding recently. I'm sure it could be done - but at what cost to the machine - clearances etc - i can't advise.

Nomenclature? - I'm not sure either - In other forums there seems a school of thought that says trike is two at the back - 'That nifty 3 Wheel Piaggo thing' will do me.

Since learned they are about $33% more than a GT250ie here - I thought it might have been more.

dd
  8. danger_dave

danger_dave @daves.place

Oddometer:

I'm no hell stunt rider or anything, but I tend to ride them (nice scooters) like they are a big skateboard. Up footpaths, ramps, gutter jumps etc and I'm always on the lookout for a wall or an incline to 're-entry' on.

Now that 650 would be some real humour around town.
  9. iceman

iceman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. danger_dave

danger_dave @daves.place

Oddometer:
    Way cool - cheers. I'll embed it

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A2E2d-29ry8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A2E2d-29ry8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
  11. iceman

iceman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know there is a 125 and 250. I've heard a 400 or 500 rumored. But, a 650?
  13. ChicagoF650GS

ChicagoF650GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 250 has about 22hp,

the 650 maybe 40-45 when said & done?

Slap some dirt/street tires on it & it would truely be a year round bike. :rayof

My bikes have been have been stuck snowbound in the garage for the past month :2cry
  14. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    After watching that i think i'm going to download a few Bowie songs from Limewire and take a good look at the MP3 this week-end at the Montreal Motorcycle show.. :lol3
  15. danger_dave

danger_dave @daves.place

Oddometer:

Have you noticed it's flooded with bogus .wma lately though?
  16. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave, I havn't used limewire in over a year. I guess i wont' use it again. Hp
  17. danger_dave

danger_dave @daves.place

Oddometer:
    Funny conversation in a thread title mp3 ;-)
  18. iceman

iceman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A much larger version of the MP3.Built by Bombardier using there own 1000 cc motor as they own Rotax.Aprilia had an exclusive on these motors untill there bankruptcy.

Attached Files:

19. iceman

iceman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One more :D
    The Can-Am Spyder official website is live and it’s very well done. Loads of information to answer most all of your questions which is a good thing since they are introducing a new type of vehicle.
    A few highlights:
    VSS - Vehicle Stabilization System, developed with Bosch which helps maintain vehicle control.
    Brakes are activated by the right foot pedal which distributes braking to all wheels, minimizing nose dive.
    Rotax 998cc V-twin, 106 hp, 77 foot pounds of torque.
    5 speed transmission with reverse
    Exhaust meets CARB, EPA and Euro2 emission standards.
    44L of enclosed front storage space plus a rear luggage rack is available There will be a demo tour which allows you to try the Spyder for yourself. There’s no point in trying to cover everything here, you really should just visit the website and see what it’s all about.
    This is a very well developed vehicle with a lot of standard features and a lot of options and my personal feeling is it will be a hit. If other companies are not already working on something like this, you can bet they’ll be watching closely to see what happens. I can envision a wide range of market segments where this will do well. Check it out then come back and tell us what you think.
    Link: Can-Am website
    Related: Can-Am Spyder 3 Wheeler
    <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Attached Files:

20. iceman

iceman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw a lot of these in france in 2001.Only they had 2 wheels and a seatbelt.
    This is a knockoff of a Honda Aero.
    I think from China.It's called a xy150zx and sold through Xingyue dealers.At least thats what the website said.

Attached Files: