Piaggio MP3

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by danger_dave, Feb 15, 2007.

1. ElusivePedro

ElusivePedro Layin' Low

Oddometer:
    Very good write up! But I call you on the following items/opinions...

Here are the things that need to be counter-pointed...I have over 30 thousand miles on both an old Burgman 650 and a new 650 Exec and also own an old school, 2004 Burgman 400...

Snip A: I rode a friends '04 Swing a few weekends ago and noticed no such phenomena. Sounds like a worn out or abused CVT belt on the one you were riding. (The Burgman 650 is a WHOLE 'nuther story - and from the sounds of things, you wouldn't like it's SECVT operational characteristics - you pretty much have to use your throttle like a rheostat! I LIKE it, but a good 20+% of new owners complain...)

Snip B: Agreed, however, normal, modern (IMO) maxi and ultra-scoots don't do that due to the long wheelbases and the more relaxed ergonomics...ie. you don't sit on them - you sit in them. The MP3s and all Vespa brands (for the most part) require you to sit on them like you would sit on a folding aluminum beach chair...almost bolt upright with your feet flat on the floorboards. I HATE that about "standard scooters". I like to kick back, feet forward on comfortable tilted floorboards, cruiser style...

Snip C: Yes - it IS overpriced - no argument there BUT.....

...be it known that it was only the first year of the totally redesigned Burgman 400 that exhibited "transmission squeel issues". In so far as I know the '08s have been virtually trouble free (so far). - and the pre '07 model years were, after a 3 or 4 year run, pretty damn reliable - I am not sure where you got your reliability facts from... And almost ALL scoots, from what I've read - the stock screens suck.

Snip D: Yes - your milage can be that crappy on a 650 if you never come up for air and are always jankin' the go stick WOT... but for the most part they average about 46, and when using just a tiny bit of restraint, they can deliver well into the low to mid 50mpg range. My AVERAGE is 48.5mpg.

I totally dig the MP3 line. I would seriously consider them if:
    1. Lower the price (across the Vespa/Piaggio lineup).
    2. Provide real floorboards for ppl who like to stretch out.
    3. Offer a no-holds-barred 650 or 750cc twin cylinder top 'o da line mamma jamma!

I see these big scoots (400 and above) as REAL, VIABLE, ALTERNATIVES to the rest of the clutch and shift herd - bring 'em ON!!!

Just my .02 and HTH - Me
  2. Riverbud

Riverbud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife started a new job this week and she's always wanted to be able to take a scooter to work, and if she rides she can park right next to her building instead of 1 mile away. Once I started looking into scooters, I couldn't resist the MP3, and picked up a 250 yesterday. I had to ride it home from the dealer, about 30 miles. I can't really add on to what's already been covered, but will confirm that it is smooth, comfortable, and fun. The tilt lock out does take some time to get used to, I imagine it becomes second nature after a while. Freeway riding was fine, speed limits here are usually around 70 mph and I kept up, but you do have to choose your passing situations carefully. I managed to see 85 indicated on the speedo. Wind buffeting was noticeable but not extreme, the bike felt pretty stable at all times, even around tractor trailers. I'll try to take it out for a more extended ride in the next few days.

[​IMG]
  3. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    I wonder how long that little 250 engine would last at 70 mph highway speed commute? especially with one extra wheel to haul around compared to a regular scooter. How is the fuel economy on the 250cc MP3?
  4. Tinfish

Tinfish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, that MP3 gives me wood. I've only seen one in person, but I just love the way they look. My commute is too short to justify owning one, but I lust, lust, lust for one. How much are they actually selling for? MSRP, or above, or are good deals available?
  5. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

Don't test ride one then, because you'll probably flop for it.
  6. Riverbud

Riverbud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife is commuting on side roads, 45 and 35 mph speed limits. If I were doing sustained highway, I'd probably go for the 400 or 500. Too soon for me to give you an idea of fuel economy, but I've heard it's around 60 mpg.

I got ours at AF1 Racing in New Braunfels, TX. They were selling the MP3 250 for MSRP on Cyceltrader (that's where I found the one I bought). They do have freight and prep charges, but still come out lower OTD than the other local dealer. I didn't price out the 400 or 500. None of them are inexpensive, but we got a nice little bonus after our move which made it more palatable.

Scott
  7. matty03

matty03 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was mentioned in a biking paper mcn, that piaggio are developing/have developed an mp4 with 2 wheels at the back too , if they ever do a 4wd design with off road capability i'm in for sure... :)
  8. Anarchist

Anarchist Office Linebacker

Oddometer:
    I went to the Vespa/BMW dealer here in Tulsa, and they have a 250 and a 500. The 500 was $9,400 OTD, which included their prep work and whatever, no tax included.

It is a good looking bike. The seat is a little low for me, and would have to have padding added in order for me to have enough leg room. The workmanship appeared to be high quality, and the design is WELL thought out.

I spoke to the owner, and there is an upholstery shop that can recontour the seat to give me the leg room I want. I am going to have to get a black one, no two ways about it.
  9. Techfiend

Techfiend High Priest of Duh

Oddometer:
    nice! post pix when you get that done (before and after on the seat too!)
  10. Anarchist

Oddometer:
  11. Anarchist

Oddometer:
  12. DirtDOG

DirtDOG Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer:
    Ohhhhhh, a 500. :photog
  13. ultrajon

ultrajon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Europe last month I saw a 400 with a windshield that must have been almost 50 inches tall. It went up and over the front rider to almost form a roof. Incredible.
  14. dadsafrantic

dadsafrantic Chef?

Oddometer:

the dealer says the 400 is better for longer commutes ar the 500.

i put 500 miles commuting on my wife's in a week while my bike was in the shop. very smooth.
  15. DirtDOG

Oddometer:
    "Hey, which one of yoose guys brought the skunk to the picnic?"

[​IMG]
  16. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    didja buy a new one? :lol3

sure as hell is shinier than the one I saw.
  17. DirtDOG

Oddometer:
    I took it through one of those drive thru car wash things,

at about 40mph. :D
  18. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    :poser

Cool idea. If I wore a 3/4 helmet, I could probably save money on my annual <s>teeth</s> tooth cleaning.
  19. DirtDOG

Oddometer:
    I figured out why they named it MP3, it's a 3 kegger. :augie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. JohnTM

JohnTM I suck toes

Oddometer:
    You washed it again? :ddog