1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Picking up a dropped GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Sigman, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Sigman

Sigman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had my GS for about 6 months and I've dropped it three times while not moving. I'm somewhat vertically challenged at 5'7" and once I get off balance too much to one side or the other, over it goes. I'm too short to lift it back up under me so I have to gently lay it on its side and dismount. I've really struggled each time I've dropped it trying to pick it back up. What is the easietst way to pick the beast back up?
  2. Curtis

Curtis Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer:
    It depends on foot traction and any unusual slopes your on but here is the standard way. Turn lower handlebar in towards tank. Turn around and crouch like your going to do a squat. Hold the lower grip that you turned into the tank and grab the back frame. Your butt should be pressing against the side of the seat. Squat it up a little and then walk backwards leaning your butt into the seat.

There's a link where this is illustrated but I don't know where.
  3. Sigman

Sigman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks man. I'm sure I'll get plenty of practice.
  4. Dick

Dick Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer:
  5. Eurobiker

Eurobiker Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Sigman, with the bike on its side, BACK up to the thing, placing your butt/ legs where the tank and seat meet. Then with one hand on the handlebar and the other on the frame lift rail, back up and right the thing, using your legs for power. When you get it to a near vertical control point, you can turn around and put the sidestand down. I couldn't find the video link that demonstrates this, but it's out there. Anyone?

Now lets address the real issue- How about a bike that fits you better? An F650GS would be a good choice if you wanted to stay with BMW. There are certainly others that might fit the bill, too. I think you'll enjoy a bike more if you have more confidence on it. Just my $.02.
  6. motorfiveo

motorfiveo Native Texan

Oddometer:
    If the bike is laying sidestand up, put the stand in "down" position before you start picking it up. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people drop thier bike on the opposite side once they get it up and realize the stand is up. Oh, and remember to take small "choppy" steps, when lifting it will save your knees and your back.
  7. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    What I've always done is pull the low side handle bar all the way in, squat, hands on the bar end, lift with legs and back, and pray. It's worked so far.
  8. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    You were doing good untill you discouraged him about his bike. His choice of bike is fine, he just needs to understand how to pick the bike up once it falls.
    I'm 5'7" and never had a problem picking up the bike but then again I knew what was involved in picking up a heavy bike.
    You should see how several woman have demonstrated how easy it could be once you understand counterweight and counterbalance.
    I do agree however that sometimes a better fitting bike can be a lot more fun but once he gets used to his GS he'll be allright. :nod
  9. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
    I've got to agree with boejangles. I'm by no means big at 5'10" and it took me almost no time to get used to mucking around on my GS. Besides, for all the talk about the GS being a "big" bike, it's not really designed with big people in mind -- the ergonomics are really for someone that's about 5'9" to 5'10" with narrow shoulders. It seems like most people with long legs need to change the footpeg placement, and tall people invariably need different handlebars. And of course, notice all the complaints of buffeting from people taller than 5'10".
  10. Voltar

Voltar Jr Asst Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Oh, and don't forget to make certain the bike is in gear.

Voltar
  11. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for answering this-- I'm pretty well intimidated by the prospect of righting this (1150 GS ADV) cow once I drop it because of a little misadventure on my old Yamaha 1100 last year: I rode my favorite ride out to Sandy Beach here in Glendo. Imagine that-- "Sandy Beach". I got there and instead of turning around in a mature, prudent manner my inner adolescent idiot got a hold of me, I decided to just brodie it around like on a TS 185. Uh uh-- I dug that unknobbied tire into the sand, and down it went. I got up laughing, and thinking nothing of it, started to right the bike; wrong-- it was like lifting a piano. That left its mark, and a whole new layer inhibitions as far as riding a BIG bike in the dirt. Thanks again.
    - Chris
  12. BiG DoM

BiG DoM African Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would say there are two main ways (at least demoed at an official BMW off-road academy) - the butt to the seat one that seems popular here ... one problem with it is as described above ... you are facing away from bike and it can come up quickly and go down the other way even more quickly, before you can turn around (which is a knack in itself).

The other way of picking her up, worth trying and that works for alot of GS Riders (and do not worry about falling off - the real ones all drop their bikes sometimes - much like riding a horse...if you never fall off you are not riding)
    is to turn the handle bar in so the front wheel faced up toward the sky... then facing the bike squat so that you grip the handlebar with both hands close to your crotch, forearms resting on knees...then stand up. As with other method one is essentiallyt using the power of ones legs to right the bike. Advantage is you are facing the bike, can easily get sidestand out if on RHS, or a leg -over!

Best bet is to get a mat (to protect) and lay your bike down on it. Try both methods a number of times...decide which works for you. Both are a knack and REAL easy once practiced a couple of times. Next time you drop the mother in front of the drug store it will be up in a flash as if nothing happened, and no slipped disc!
  13. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'4" woman with a 29" inseam and have no trouble with the 1150GS.

I've dropped mine several times, usually due to putting my foot into a divot somewhere. All the methods I've seen here work--BiGDoM and I seem to have the same two techniques! However, don't give up if it doesn't budge the first time or two--it's like you have to figure out where you and the bike fit for these maneuvers. One thing I learned for either trick is to squat lower than you expect you need to so that you have plenty of "leg" to work with--I was nearly standing upright (no leverage or height left) the first time or two before I got low enough to lift it completely. Slow and easy...the beast will rise about 1" then seemingly gain 1000 lbs....don't give up when you feel that first major weight because it'll come right up if you just keep lifting.

As mentioned, be ready to catch the bike.
  14. LandRover

LandRover Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    This is probably the single most important piece of advice. If you don't do this, you will look very silly as the thing rolls around the bend at a VERY deep lean angle! :rofl
  15. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    This is a little of topic but i think is stating to fit the criteria
    [​IMG]

Let me know if you want to know more

I'm sorry i don't think the Image is working here is the Little MOVIE
  16. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Fuck, I'm only 5'7" on a good hair day and I only dropped my GS once when the road wasn't under my left foot when I came to a stop. My advice? Get to the friggin gym and take some MSF courses. Good luck!
  17. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be sure to keep away from the HOT cannister on the right side.
  18. gussie

gussie 2 Dumb 4 NY & 2 Ugly 4 LA

Oddometer:
    You guys are all forgetting the very first thing you have to do before your pick up your fallen bike:
    Take a picture.
    This does two things: (1) records it for posterity and (2) keep you in good humour. :lol
  19. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    Turning OFF the Lights will prove very helpfully if you planing to drop it regulary :rofl :rofl :rofl :clap
  20. Lucky Luke

Lucky Luke bad venture

Oddometer:
    and you sir, forget the thing that comes even before you take that picture,
    this thing being a friend taking a picture of you falling :lol3

[​IMG]