Picking up Tracks midway on my Zumo XT

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by gerald29, Aug 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. gerald29

gerald29 Texas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, here is my struggle. I normally create my rides as tracks instead of routes because they are 50% or more off road. If I make a ride that has 5 track points (A thru E) and if I pick up the track line mid way (say at B) my XT reroutes me back to A (starting point) instead of pick up at B and going to C.

See Diagram for an example. Blue line is track. Green is my picking up the track midway. Orange line is how Rever and Locus take me (correctly to E) and the Red line is the XT taking me back to the starting point.

gps issue.png

With the same gpx file, Rever and Locus app both handle it correctly (picking up at B and taking me to C instead of back to A). I have also created gpx tracks in Explore, Rever and Locus to see if that was the difference (same outcome).

I am sure it is a setting or something i am doing, but i just cannot figure it out.

Thanks for any suggestions. (oh and if the suggestion is to use Rever or Locus, i want to use the XT because the screen is much brighter than my phone (Note 10)

-gs
  2. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tracks are just lines on the screen, like a map marked with a highlighter pen, you decide which way you want to go to stay on the line. The various Zumo models do not provide directions for tracks.

If you are following GPS directions that lead you point A, you are following a route. There is an old post here that deals with a somewhat different situation, but it has a link to an excellent guide for creating routes that do what you want and can be re-entered midway.

In your example, point A on your route would become your original start point, E is the finish point, and B,C,D would be either via or shaping points. Via points must be passed through, and are announced. Shaping points are used to force the route onto a particular road, but can be skipped and are not announced. When you load a route using the Trip Planner app, you are shown the list of start, via, and finish points and asked to select which will be the next destination. The GPS will calculate a new route from your present position to the point you select, then follow the remaining pre-planned route. You would want to select B in your example, but maybe you were only shown A & E, so B was probably a shaping point rather than a via point.
    Suncoaster and sieg like this.
  3. gerald29

gerald29 Texas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you @lkraus for the detailed response. That certainly clears it up!
  4. jfheath

jfheath n00b

Oddometer:
    Late to this thread - I'm actually looking for info on getting the XT to follow an off road route - and got side-tracked.

But as the author of the article on ST-Owners pointed to by @lkraus - I'll add another snippet for the XT. As well as giving you the option of heading straight to any Via Point on the route when you first start to navigate, it also has an option to start the route from the closest entry point. Early versions of the software made a pig's ear of this feature, but v2.90 is much more stable. I've seen it have a hiccup if you are located near to the start of the route, but I haven't been able to duplicate that hiccup (mainly due to lockdown). In all other situations it really does head for the closest point on the magenta line (irrespective of the location of any routing points of any variety).

Incidentally - if you want a copy of the Zumo/Basecamp article - send me a Private Message with an email address. I keep my copy up to date, but update the published one much less frequently.