Pickup truck snow plow

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Illiumrider, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Illiumrider

Illiumrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any thoughts on a snow plow for a pickup truck? I need to put one on my ram 2500, personal use only. Driveway is 700’ gravel, then a fair size parking area that is paved. No commercial use.

dealer 2 min away handles snow dogg, snow way and hiniker. Nice for parts and keeping the money local

other dealers for fisher, boss, western about 25 min away.

looking for thoughts and experience about different brands. Looking to keep headaches to minimum. Will be stored and maintained well if that matters.

Also anyone ever install their own plow?

thank you
    Dave
  2. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't been around then for years, but I think I'd consider a tractor over my truck for my own driveway, unless that's the only thing the truck does.

Pain in the butt driving around with a plow.
    kantuckid, Bultaco206 and Illiumrider like this.
  3. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally for me it'd depend on the truck. If it were a reliable nice daily driver I relied on to get to work/family use etc I wouldn't do it. Plowing is serious tough duty. Tough on suspension, steering, clutch, trans etc etc. You'll be money ahead with less headaches buying a dedicated ugly old 4x4 beater to mount the plow on. I no longer live where I need to plow so don't know from brands avail today. Back then, I've had Meyers and I think Western and both systems worked and held up well.
  4. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    My .02 is buy from whoever has the best support in your area. I think that is more important than the brand to a point. they are all junk when its broken and you cant get the parts you need. I also dont like any plow that does not free float, they dont stack snow well at all. An example of a free floating plow is any when a chain for lifting.

That said given the distances you are talking to the dealers i would probably buy a Fisher if it were me. They are the predominant brand around here and I have had really dependable service from them in the past. The minute mount setup is the tits as is the fishstick control. The only other brand i have owned is a Meyer and I hated it, had lots of hydro issues with mine and it was constantly busted. That was a really long time ago so that could have changed, i was doing a lot of driveways and parking lots back then.

I have done my own install before. My last fisher i bought the blade/hydraulic unit used off craigs list and i got push plates and the electronics box off the internet. Other than running the wire thru the firewall for the controls the rest was pretty much plug and play. The push plates bolted up to existing frame holes on the truck. Cant speak for the other brands but i would bet western is similar since fisher and western are owned by the same company.
    Illiumrider and ozmoses like this.
  5. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put a Boss plow on my 3/4 ton truck. It is awesome being able to plow when/how I want and not wondering when the plow guy is coming. Boss and Fisher are the most common here and the dealer I bought it from installed it for me, not sure I would want to tackle that job. Mine mounts up in a couple of minutes so I often remove it when the forecast calls for a few snow free days. I only use it for our 400’ driveway and multi-car parking area - living high up on a hillside it is critical to make the first pass down our steep driveway.

[​IMG]
    Illiumrider and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  6. tvpierce

tvpierce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plows have come a long way in the last 20 years. The features are incredible. Power-V plows that give you the versatility of both a V-blade and a straight blade. The power "scoop" blades originally by Blizzard, now also by Fisher since Fisher bought Blizzard. They give you an 8' blade for tight spots, then the blade extends hydraulically on both ends to a give you a 10' blade, or the ends can articulate forward to create a scoop for cleaning up.

I agree with going with the local dealer -- just make sure they provide *good* service. The Snow Dogg is not really a serious piece of equipment. They're really designed for people with an SUV who need to clear a paved suburban driveway. There's nothing wrong with that... they come in at a price point that works for homeowners who can't justify spending $8K on plow.
    Henniker makes professional grade equipment. Snow Way is an interesting company and they make a quality product. They're relatively new (compared to Fisher, Henniker, Western) They've brought some interesting technology to market. Their poly blades are most notable. I believe Snow Way was also the first to offer a system with both down pressure and float modes.
    Go talk to your dealer. I'd be surprised if they didn't steer you toward a Snow Way. I don't think you'd be unhappy with a Henniker, but I believe the price difference between them and Snow Way will be significant.

I've historically been a Fisher guy -- going back to the belt driven hydraulic pump days. They're made right here in Maine, so they're local, and the service has always been great from my local dealer and from the manufacturer.

Check out PlowSite.com

Lots of great info there for the professional or homeowner. (both are welcome there)
  7. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ I've wasted waaay too much time on Plowsite.com and will continue to do so!
  8. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plan on driving 25 minutes, Boss is the most common and best lasting around here thou if the dealer is a dick then pass. As far as installation I'd work it into the purchase as they can be quite in-depth and tricky with newer vehicles.
    Illiumrider likes this.
  9. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    If you can swing it, tractor with a plow for sure. Plowing is like the worst thing you can do to a truck.
    Illiumrider and nearly there like this.
  10. Illiumrider

Oddometer:
    Although a tractor is on the horizon , it’s a few years out at least. With 2 young kids the quad cab 4x4 was the way to go for me- I need the convenience to plow with them. I don’t disagree with a plow being hard on a truck, but I will do my best to go gentle.

going to check out the dealer for fisher, western and boss tomorrow . Appreciate all the insight keep it coming !
  11. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    For your intended use,simple may be better.

I have used one of these and was absolutely amazed by its capabilities.

Doesn't look like much, but it is incredibly functional:

https://www.agricover.com/snowsport/

Illiumrider likes this.
  12. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    I've pushed snow with pickups and tractors. Modern trucks like yours are quite a bit heavier than older pickups. For example, my '01 Duramax was around 6600lbs empty, my '84 F150 is about 3400lbs empty. My farm tractors usually range around 3000-3500lbs. Tractor tires don't really do very well in the snow- ag or industrial.

The heavier the pusher the better. I've seen modern/heavy trucks push snow to rescue farm tractors that couldn't push anymore. Based on my experience, your 3/4 ton truck would push your driveway very well and would be the best tool for the job.
    Illiumrider likes this.
  13. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is your truck gas or diesel as that can affect the size plow you get, either way you'll prefer a V-plow for easier pushing snow wherever you need it.

Plows aren't the easiest thing on trucks but I wouldn't worry about just doing your driveway, it's the 10+ accounts you pound out every storm that beats them up. One thing I'd recommend is install the plow only when you need it, after plowing your place out take it off to minimize wear on the front end.

Lastly is safety, you need to be seen so definitely buy some lighting, the video I'm linking is a good start but IMO if you don't need to add a generator then you don't have enough lights.
    Illiumrider likes this.
  14. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    cough

20171202_124921.jpg

:D
  15. Illiumrider

Oddometer:
    Truck has a Cummings and snow plow prep package. My plan is to store it in the garage between storms.

good point about a warning light I forgot about that. The tow truck shown has a few bucks tied up in lights!

that snow sport plow is pretty nice but no dealers less than an hour away
    1greenmachine likes this.
  16. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:

Amazon

I know, it doesn't look badass- but it is. :deal
  17. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Been down that road before! I'll still take a heavy truck over a tractor. Just my experience, the trucks do far better.
  18. tvpierce

Oddometer:
    Tractors are great if equipped with a snow blower, but they're simply ill-equipped for the job for plowing snow. Generally, a tractor will have a fixed angle blade, so you're not plowing snow, but rather pushing it. The difference being that when pushing snow, it builds up in front of the blade. If you have lots of snow, you'll eventually end up at a point where you can no longer push. And even if a tractor did have an angled blade, the tractor can't drive fast enough to effectively plow snow.
    A truck on the other hand with an angled plow or a V plow utilizes of the angle of the plow and momentum of the plow vehicle to "throw" the snow off the blade.
    showkey likes this.
  19. tvpierce

Oddometer:
    With the plow package I presume that means additional transmission cooling and higher capacity alternator with second battery? What part of NY are you in... read: how much snow do you typically get?
    There's an old adage about who's considered a "Yankee"? But it can be adapted to New Yorkers.

To a resident of NYC, Upstate NY is Poughkeepsie.
    To a resident of the lower Hudson Valley, Upstate NY is anywhere from Buffalo to Albany.
    To a resident of Albany, Upstate NY is the Adirondacks.
  20. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both machines have their purposes but far less expensive to outfit a tractor IF? you already own one plus the stuff has other non-snow uses.
    My PU's are always "sweet trucks" not beaters so I'd never put a snowplow on them. many snow contractors use truck plows given they travel well compared to a tractor.
    For small jobs I fail to see why tranny cooling or 2nd battery is needed?
    Probably the cheapest machine overall is a beater truck with a used plow that may not get a license plate-just plow duty. It will be a PITA though as sitting makes for lots of getting it to run, etc.. So, probably the cheapest overall solution is to pay someone to do it for you?
    My ~ 1/2 mile of private road and reality of owning a tractor anyway makes my choice for me-> FEL bucket & grader blade depending on snow depth. The Kubota shown above has industrial tires which don't handle snow well if steep grades are involved, thus chains matter in winter uses.
    Don't you have a neighbor who'd do your drive cheaper than you buying stuff that sits around?