Pics of bicycle racks on 990 Adventure?

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by Apple Jam, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer

Oddometer:
    <HR style="COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I want to make / have made / a mountain bike rack for my KTM 990 adv.

I know some of you nut-jobs (nut/bolt jobs??) have done this before.....

Please Share what you know.
  2. promac

promac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, maybe a trailer would be a better way to go. Like a trapeze artist with the long pole, the bike may significantly affect the balance of the motorcycle. In addition, wind would also be an issue. If you dropped the motorcycle, you'd do significant damage to both bikes. However, if you took off the front and rear wheel of the mountain bike and put it in the trailer along with the rest of the frame and tied it down, I'd imagine it would work a lot better and be safer as well.
  3. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    Way Too Much Stress on the Rear Subframe :nono .
    Even if it was Beefed up as ADV'rs are doing.
  5. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:

I rather doubt that a 27lb mtn bike is going to stress that rear end.

I've seen it done on other makes...

[​IMG]

DW
  6. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    Man, that's a load on that Beemer! I find it hard to believe there isn't some serious stress somewhere? I haul my mt. bike on my PC but its a easy do compared to most bikes. I would go the trailer route if possible, that way you have room for all the other junk.
  7. Brown Dog

Oddometer:
  8. Brown Dog

Oddometer:
    That's just STUPID & Unsafe :nono
  9. jonyfi

jonyfi 21st century adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put a bicycle rack on my first dualsport (KLR650) and then realized afterwords that by motorcycle is just not an ideal way to go some where for a bicycle ride.

You have to carry with you, on the motorcycle, your bicycle riding gear and the bicycle, then you have to change from your moto gear to bicycle gear when you get to your destination, then you have to have somewhere to store and lock up all your moto gear (i.e. boots, jacket, helmet, pants, etc.)...if you have a car/truck all this stuff happens so much easier.

And, the moto handles well with a bicycle hanging off the back end while it is moving along at faster riding/moving speeds but when you are going slow all the weight of the bicycle and rack makes a large motorcycle even more awkward to move around at slow speed...

But hell ya, if you want to build one, it is possible :D I have yet to see a KTM with a bicycle rack on it... have fun with the project!

Also, as mentioned previously you can almost count on your rear rack/subframe failing at some point...just make it beefy and hella reinforced and maybe you won't have any problems...the KLR had a steel luggage rack I think, my BMW GS rack failed (without a bike rack mounted to it, just a top box), and you saw the failures of other KTM racks in that link and those failed with just "normal" luggage use(that is why I don't use top boxes anymore, at least on the KTM 950)..

I somewhat know of the guy pictured above with the bike rack on his BMW and he has done many mods to his GS and he does with knowledge/experience/tools/resources most of us don't have available...so my guess is that rack is super bomber.
  10. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer:
    Brown Dog, Tell us how you REALLY Feel. Great topic. I will be doing something similiar on my Adventure.
  11. ganze

ganze apocalyptic defender

Oddometer:
    I don't have an adventure but when I got to putting the rack on my motorcycle, I just kept seeing the bar ends puncturing the the back of my neck in even the mildest of crashes and decided that I should use a trailer if I wanted to do this.

still more power to you. I saw a pic somewhere here of a ktm supermoto with a bike on it. try searching if you haven't.
  12. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    If there is one good thing about a Pacific Coast its that it is a good bicycle hauler. Its easy to make a rack for it. The bicycle doesn't block the rear lights and turnies and you can stash all of your junk in the trunk. I don't worry about the bicycle ending up in my lap any more than I worry about getting rear ended in the first place. Whats a little more danger in our lifes? I love bicycling and motorcycling and this is a perfect combo. You never know when your going to have a breakdown and a spare might come in handy. There is a picture of my contraption somewhere deep in the bicycle thread, good luck finding it........I found it..#9775 in bicycle thread
  13. Dogtown

Dogtown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really? 25 lbs? Most riders are at least 25lbs hevier then I am? I know the weight may sit far back, but?

14. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer:
    I think my Gobi's and the racks weigh more than 25 pounds when they are Empty.
  15. dino2000

dino2000 No Bad Daze

Oddometer:
    watching for a real solution. Going to go to work on this myself this week, will share any progress here
  16. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    I have used a Thule brand mtn bike rack on my 950. It has a tray that runs from where the forks attach (front wheel removed) all the way to the back wheel. I simply bolted the rack onto a stock 950 flat rear rack. Bungy the front wheel onto the side of the frame main triangle and away you go.

Gobis hold the helmet and bike shoes, clothes etc. Totally doable and nowhere near the weight of a pillion.

In a pinch, I have also just strapped my daughters mtn bike flat accross the back seat of my 950. It is about .75 scale, but it weighs just as much as my bike.

I beleive the BMW picture above is Ricardo Kuhn, and he has carried more stuff on a motorcycle than you can believe. There is a picture on his Smugmug of him on a BMW with a new BBQ in the box!

Brown Dog, more power to you for being cautious, but it really is more fun out here on the edge!
  17. Captregis

Captregis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the prototype development stages for my new rack. They are being machined out of aluminum now, but will probably be finished out of stainless. I have 2 made now and am testing......... I plan on marketing these as soon as I can have a very solid design. They will mount off of existing pannier racks and will have less stress and weight then the models I've seen that mount up on top of the rear fender. I have found that riding my KTM everday, my mountain bike has been sitting to much, and I am getting to fat. I will post pics as soon as finalized, and I have some available......I hope to have them for sale within 2 months.
    They will replace one side bag with the mount........
  18. brents347

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. brents347

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Click on any picture to go to Rickys Smugmug page and peruse the madness. The guy will ride any bke with any load!
  20. BENJAMANIAC

BENJAMANIAC Dakar aspirations!

Oddometer:
    Mine is getting one, I have plans to ride up to whister BC and play a little down hill then moto my way back to co this summer. I see no problems with a rack mounted design.