Pics of bicycle racks on 990 Adventure?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Apple Jam, Apr 10, 2010.

1. oktaneho

oktaneho SUPPLIES!!!

Oddometer:
    I care! I'd like to see how you do this as I plan on putting one on one of my bikes.
  2. Holaday

Holaday Man of Leisure

Oddometer:
    Hey I'd love to be able to carry my bike on my bike. I have friends in Squamish and Pemberton which are great mountain biking destinations and I hate driving up with my mtn bike in my cage, I'd much rather have it on the back of my 990. :D
  3. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Boat, towed by a Bike?
    Should take the fun out of the ride to the lake.
    How's the clutch holding up?
  4. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    See what I did?
    [​IMG]

It was pretty easy, three wing nuts and the long Yakima track goes off/on. I even found a use for my old stock rack; It holds the front fork over my back seat and keeps the bike right behind me & sticks out the back a little less. That part uses two long Allen bolts. My wife won't trust enough to ride bitch anyway.

[​IMG]

Today is make the SKI RACK day!! The roads are clear all the way (22 miles from my house) to the parking lot at Mt. Hood Meadows Ski Area, so why not RIDE?
    Take that, you safety skeptics:lol3
  5. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer:
    Nice setup!
  6. Holaday

Holaday Man of Leisure

Oddometer:
    Good idea to use the original rack. I may give it a try. I also have a Specialized Enduro. Great Bikes.
  7. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    I think it is a GREAT idea! I've been doing it for years (one of the pics posted was my first GS). I actually bent and tore the tray for the bike and not the subframe.

This is my current design:

[​IMG]

A lot of folks nay say the idea, but what is one supposed to do that does not have a car? Of all the people to do it, I'd expect the KTM guys to as my experience has shown them all to be infinitely more crazy than the BMW crowd (my best rides have always been with guys on orange bikes).

For anyone interested, here is my thread on building mine through a couple iterations:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215797&highlight=bike+rack

So why am I in Orange Crush is the bigger question. Well, when we get back to the states, I'm mildly debating getting something a bit more capable in the dirt. I just can't get past the reliability and maintenance of the orange bikes... yet... I've got 3 years to decide...
  8. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer:
    32K Miles on mine. Factory installed Fuel Pump, Clutch Slave, and Waterpump seal. I beat the shit out of it and the only issues I have ever had have been "Self induced"
  9. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    35k+ on my '07 with over a couple dozen naps and a few thousand miles in the dirt. Changed the oil, adjusted the valves and I think I bled the brakes once. I've not even changed the spark plugs. I have 2 bent rims in trying to keep up with guys on orange bikes, though. Oh yeah, a battery- covered under warranty. So the bar is pretty high.

I really need to ride a 990 when I get back to see what's the what.

Bottom line and staying on track, I think it is really cool that people with bikes other than tractors are willing to put their other 2 wheel action on there. :thumb
  10. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    We know why you're in OC, no explanation needed. I test rode the GS1200 & thought for sure I was gonna buy it, it was a dream.......Then I test rode KaTyM.....'Nuff Said.

16K miles and I tightened the chain two days ago for the first time. That's it besides the normal recommended services. Oh, and a blinker and a mirror:D .

My new Bike Rack worked well on the road, but the stock KTM rack that I used to hold the front fork over the back seat has a slight torsional twist to it that allows the Bicycle to rock back/forth just a little. The billet "Zip Ty Racing" rack does not twist at all. I'll have to beef that stock piece up or replace it with something custom before any gravel/bumpy runs. I also want that piece to be quick remove with wing nuts like the rear Yakima rail is, without removing the two long Allen bolts that hold it now. I don't want to leave it on due to hassle factor when I don't need the bike rack; It looks like a back killer should I ever go down.

The ski rack worked perfect. I got plenty of smiles and finger pointing from the cages at the Ski Area.

Looks like your rack fixes that by using the bike rack pole to avoid any side to side twist. Maybe I'll attack thet to the Jesse Rack frame somehow.
  11. dakariste

dakariste Over and over the hill...

Oddometer:
    I'd like to order a golf bag fabrication please:clap
  12. Bugman98

Bugman98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wanted to do this a few years ago, bought the rack and associated parts and never did anything with it. Its new in a box. I'm moving and want to sell it. Its a RockyMounts brand, made for a car roof rack. PM me with an offer. I'll let it go cheap.
  13. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Sorry, Don't golf. Too busy doin' forest things to take to the fairway
  14. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    I went the custom route with the front fork mount, with wing bolts for quick on off, bolted to my Jesse bag frames. I also brought it way forward over the passenger seat, right behind my butt about 3 inches, to keep that fulcrum from hanging off the back so far.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I cut off over a foot of the Yakima rail to keep it short
    [​IMG]

Solid as anything now. No rock back/forth or up down. I think the subframe is MUCH safer now with the weight up front way more, not so far off the back. The cross-wind push is definitely more noticable, but completelly managable on this heavy bike. This works VERY WELL now:norton . And without losing the storage of a side bicycle mount that replaces a pannier. Cost me $160 for the custom work at a muffler guy/custom fabricator shop ("Mikey's Mufflers and MORE", Hood River, OR.). He did an awesome job, well worth the price, and just about exactly the $ that I expected when I went in there.
  15. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    That's a sweet setup. The stability of that really appeals to me, but my wife rides her bike even more than I, so I'd want a way to bring her and her bike along, and drop her off to go for a ride. Still thinking about that one.
  16. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    I still love that BLUE of the '06 Adventure S, Zac.

But TWO bikes ona back?, good luck!
  17. kymbo

kymbo kymbo

Oddometer:
    :deal hi over here in aus we have laws about over hang on cars/trucks is there any such in your neck off the woods?:eek1 ride fast and let the wife bring the bike
  18. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    We probly do and should here too, for the Big Cities anyway, where you have to protect people from themselves.

But where I'm at, with virtualy no traffic and virtually no rear-enders, the local Sherrifs will think this set-up is cool too. If I ever see the man at all. Or even a car at all where I ride.
  19. newbaumturk

newbaumturk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  20. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    I'm tellin ya, I REALLY DO like that blue of the 950 Adventure S.

And the two bikes setup also!! Nice:thumb