Pics of bicycle racks on Adv Moto bikes?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Apple Jam, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want to make / have made / a mountain bike rack for my KTM 990 adv.

I know some of you nut-jobs (nut/bolt jobs??) have done this before.....

Please Share what you know.
  2. Sludge

Sludge Waiting for the snow

Oddometer:
    Here is my creation, not a KTM but it will give you an idea. Let me know if you need more detailed pictures.

[​IMG]
  3. safetybob

safetybob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not ktm but another option for ideas?

[​IMG]
  4. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Sludge..... I like it! I have those parts in my Garage now. Simple enough, and I have a big top rack from ZipTy Racing. It sticks out the back a ways, should be safe enough for where I'll take it, pretty close to home 'n all. I might try to find a way to attach the front fork holder over the passenger seat. Have you ever been hassled by the Blue/Red lighted guys in the black & whites?

I Don't care if pics are for KTM or not, certainly. What we're bolting them to ain't a KTM part anyway.

Thanks for the ideas, these are great!! Keep 'em coming.......
  5. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    F' N' A!! Nice setup indeed! Two seats..... but only one bicycle? what's the miss'es ride when you get there Safetybob:huh ?
    Safetybob..... I like the way that sits closer to the moto. Looks like somebody's factory made aluminum parts hold it together. Did you purchase, or create?
  6. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    I know there's more help out there.........
    I'm starting my creation tomorrow, we'll see how it goes.
  7. Sumo64c

Sumo64c Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's the KLR version for you ff's.. [​IMG]
  8. Cumminsman76

Cumminsman76 befuddled

Oddometer:
    I beleive there is a similar thread in GSpot.
  9. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:

Now if only you could attach a smaller bicycle to the rack on the Specialized.

Of course, it'll have a rack too....

[​IMG]
  10. NomadRip

NomadRip Always a n00b

Oddometer:
    Google has hundreds of images.
  11. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    See what I did?
    [​IMG]

It was pretty easy, three wing nuts and the long Yakima track goes off/on. I even found a use for my old stock rack; It holds the front fork over my back seat and keeps the bike right behind me & sticks out the back a little less. That part uses two long Allen bolts. My wife won't trust enough to ride bitch anyway.

[​IMG]

Today is make the SKI RACK day!! The roads are clear all the way (22 miles from my house) to the parking lot at Mt. Hood Meadows Ski Area, so why not RIDE?
  12. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is one I made for a friend. I made it work with his Jessie rack. It is quick release, on and off in a matter of seconds. It is tucked behind the rider. You barely tell you have a bike on there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. NoobIAm

NoobIAm Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer:
    Guys, that looks cool, but won't it eventually fail just off the edge of the seat rack? Looks like a fulcrum to me. :dunno
  14. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can make a bike rack the ski rack is easy. Some big zip ties and your done.

[​IMG]
  15. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    There's another post out there ?Long Tall Sally? who built a bike rack similarly that did that very thing.

Me? If I hadta design a rack, I'd see if I couldn't brace it from under somehow. The GS-Adv has a bar that goes around the backside of the rear wheel... Obviously you don't want a lot of weight on it, but a little support can go a long ways!

My idea involves a stand similar to what the pro mechanics are using:
    [​IMG]
    Use the BB instead of the rear wheel. The ups: less lever arm. The cons: ya gotta have a tube size that'll fit the clamp on the downtube. The downtube isn't usually designed to attach a bike to something by.

[​IMG]
    You could prolly get away with something like this. Heat up the long arm, bend it downwards to get the bike outta the air some, then run bolts thru it to secure it to the MC. Use a regular fork mount from PBS or some other rack and you have a fairly cheep rack setup!

:dunno I'm thinking as I post, so if ya have better ideas, post em up!

M
  16. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Thee ski rack was easy. Considered big zip ties, but went with wing nuts. One Yakima piece on the back rack, one Yakima piece on the top of the Jesse Panniers. Forgot to take pics in the snowy parking lot.

My Bike Rack allows a little side to side action from the front fork holder. The stock KTM rack I used to hold it over the back seat allows some torsional twist. Another whiskey glass engineering session is still in order before true perfection.

I like the idea of the custom side mount rack that uses the Jesse attachments a lot, but seems to me it needs to be held at the bottom somewhere to avoid that side to side bob of the fulcrum mentioned in above post.

I really considered going that side mount route, but I need both Jesse bags to store bike shoes, helmet, water etc. and hold all my moto riding gear, boots, pants jacket while parked at the trailhead, + all the normal tools, safety/emergency first aid gear and walk out tennis shoes and other items I like to ride everywhere with.
  17. NativeSon

NativeSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    which bike has the higher value?
  18. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    The bicycle of course!

M
  19. NoobIAm

NoobIAm Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer:
    I like what safteybob has done in post #3, but with one revision. As is, the weight of the bike appears to be carried by the front fork, which in this case, transfers and concentrates a dynamic side load to the headset of the bike. That is a stationary bearing at this point. It seems to me that would run the risk of flatting the bearing, beating against it from one side, as it were. If the lower end of his rack were modified to pick up the weight of the bike at the bottom bracket, it would solve that problem.
  20. SpitfireTriple

SpitfireTriple Seek Truth

Oddometer:
    Lots of innovation here, and that's a good thing.

But no-one has yet made the obvious point (ouch):

What happens if you are rear-ended by some myopic SUV driver?

And from what I read on ADV and elsewhere (eg ST-N) they are ten-a-penny in America. Hey, if they can't see you when you're sitting on 600lbs of metal, wearing a fluo jacket, what chance do they have of noticing a 1" wide bicycle?

I have visions of the bicycle being pushed into your back. Worse still, some of the rack designs have horizontal groove-struts that support the bicycle's rear wheel; imagine one of those through the base of your spine.

Would it not be better to buy yourself a folding bicycle? I don't mean one of the super-portable city models - here are two extreme examples
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Strida vs A-bike comparison
    pump-a-bike (way off-topic here but...)
    but there are plenty of folding mountain bikes around. Maybe weigh a pound or two more than a non-folder, but so what? You've got a motorbike, so the push-bike is for fitness - a pound or two extra will burn even more calories.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hey, you can even get one with a BMW badge on it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: Hmm, that BMW is rather tasty. And could be made even more compact if the seatpost-beam (?) had a hinge in it, enabling it to fold forward across the wheels.

Folding bike manufacturer directory