Pics of bicycle racks on Adv Moto bikes?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Apple Jam, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    In my experience, you get thrown from the bike during a rear ending and land a good 15m away from whats left of your ride :bluduh
  2. SpitfireTriple

SpitfireTriple Seek Truth

Oddometer:
    ...I shall refrain from asking you how you know this...

But would you have been thrown from the bike had a bike rack been in place, or would you have been impaled on the bike-rack?
  3. kbasa

kbasa Being, human. Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    If you could tell me about this, I'd be appreciative. This is the first rack I've seen that allows a passenger. Would it be possible to carry two bikes with this type of arrangement?
  4. NoobIAm

NoobIAm Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer:
    kbasa, I'm not the designer of this rack, but I think based on what I see here, that a two-up version should be possible. You might have to offset the height of one vs. the other in order to get the handlebars to work together, but ultimately it shouldn't present as wide of a load as the panniers. I think it's a great design, with the one caveat that I posted in post #20.
  5. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike" Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. NoobIAm

NoobIAm Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer:
    Now this one is outright scary. One tap in the back and instant severed spine. No thanks.
  7. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to have that bike! Except it had a rock shox indy sl.
  8. HeadShrinker

HeadShrinker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  9. 1reddawg

1reddawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is my set-up.Had it for about 3 years.No problems at all.Takes about 1 minute to take it off..
    [​IMG]
  10. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went the custom route with the front fork mount just like the last post, with wing bolts for quick on off, bolted to my Jesse bag frames. I also brought it way forward over the passenger seat, right behind my butt about 3 inches, to keep that fulcrum from hanging off the back so far.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I cut off over a foot of the Yakima rail to keep it short
    [​IMG]

Solid as anything now. No rock back/forth or up down. I think the subframe is MUCH safer now with the weight up front way more, not so far off the back. The cross-wind push is definitely more noticable, but completelly managable on this heavy bike. This works VERY WELL now:norton . And without losing the storage of a side bicycle mount that replaces a pannier. Cost me $160 for the custom work at a muffler guy/custom fabricator shop ("Mikey's Mufflers and MORE", Hood River, OR.). He did an awesome job, well worth the price, and just about exactly the $ that I expected when I went in there.

BTW, ain't no traffic in small town USA where I live. Not worried about being rear ended. I Never will take it to the city or the hi-way, just 10-20 miles on country two lane & easy gravel, where there are dozens of trails here.
  11. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Since no one bothered to answer: them folding jobbies ride like poo. Prolly OK for a spin round the neighborhood, but they suck ass for anything tougher.

My $.02

M
  12. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never rode one of them foldy jobbies, but had to assume that was the case.

Fold-up bike...:huh?? This is the OC, you know....Not the Pussy Parade:rofl
  13. HeadShrinker

HeadShrinker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  14. Drewccc

Drewccc Hey, wait for me!!!

Oddometer:
    2x2cycles.com makes a pretty sweet looking setup. A little expensive IMO, but they do have a lot of detailed shots in the photo section of their website. Anyone with a welder and a little knowhow should be able to copy it pretty easy. I'm gonna try it out, just gotta finish my ammo can pannier project first.
  15. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those look nice. I think the price is pretty in line for what it is. It is a very smart design.
  16. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. f1xedgear

f1xedgear SCREW COASTING

Oddometer:
    Since getting my Street Triple three years ago I’ve been an occasional lurker here, and I’ve recognized a couple ADV Rider posters from different Triumph listservs. I hadn’t really thought of my Streety as an ADV Moto at first, but I do now more and more. So, I’m going to post up for the first time by throwing in my contribution to this wonderful thread.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    But first, gotta say with warmth: what a bunch of whackos.

Back to the rack: I&#8217;ve had this particular set up for about a year. An earlier set up had the rear wheel still attached to the bicycle frame, but I found that it stuck out way too far to the rear for my liking, and the cantilevering effect was unnerving. So, I moved both wheels forward (I now have them angled forward as well so the tires rest lightly on my rear panniers/bags&#8212;these pics show wheels vertical).

[FONT=&quot]Even so, with this set up&#8212;on the longer moto rides&#8212;I was still getting bounce that would flex the bike tray and make it creep farther rearward. The SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack mounting arms that I&#8217;ve used to take 100% of wheel weight and ~80% of frame/fork weight were flexing too much. I&#8217;ve known that I needed to find a way to make a direct tie between the grab rail (which takes about 20% of the frame/fork weight) direct to the MOTECH arms to give the whole system a reliable stability. What would work? I tried U-bolts; they worked okay but were damned ugly. I finally found an industrial-strength zip tie that I think is gonna do the trick long term&#8212;and I&#8217;ll follow up with a pic shortly. I am very happy with my set up; I think I&#8217;ve finally got it right. Though, I&#8217;m not sure it&#8217;d work with a heavier bicycle such as an MTB, but I&#8217;m a roadie type so I&#8217;m happy.

Added 8.30.2010: Below are pics of the ziptie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [/FONT]
  18. reed523

reed523 To pedal or not to pedal

Oddometer:
    All right! Another bike on bike thread. I thought i had them all covered. Here's my setup on my previous MC. I did learn the hard way not to hang a bicycle off the right side of a KLR with stock suspension. When parked, the suspension would start to sag and before you know it, the whole mess was on the ground. Mounting on the left made it a little unhandy getting on and off, but much better operation. I rode this rig over 4000 miles with no other issues. *Note i still stuck a piece of wood under it for a "safety stand" since it was such a mess to pick up if it fell over:D
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

I now ride a wee and want to take a different approach. I generally haul the bicycle when on extended trips and need room to secure all my gear at the trailhead (or parking lot for road events) so i think a trailer might work better. The project has been stalled for months but perhaps i can get it finished soon with some inspiration from this thread. Here was a mock up of the basic concept:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Didn't like the looks of the tongue weight so the actual trailer is much shorter with the bicycles centered over the trailer wheel (trailer started life as a little Yamaha GT80). Sorry about the lack of pics but hopefully you get the idea.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

The biggest hangup so far has been building a hitch for the wee. I wasted a ton of time trying to rig something...my son finally stepped in and finished it up.
  19. reed523

reed523 To pedal or not to pedal

Oddometer:
    Finally got started back on this project. Somedays i think i'm on the right track and some days not so much....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    Pretty cool trailer, I like the low center of gravity. It looks like you could use it for a cargo trailer too with very minimal mods.