Pics of my DIY bike lift.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by BigT, Jul 15, 2007.

1. BigT

BigT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know I could have just used a piece of wood found by the side of the road, but some of the places I ride are a little short on trees.

If I had a shop, instead of a studio apartment with no garage, I might have put something together out of aluminum pipe and a TIG welder. As it is I had to make due with an vintage, 7.2 volt Makita drill and a hacksaw.
    I'm not complaining, though, projects like this are always fun, no matter the process/parts.

Hey, for just $6.35 it didn't come out too badly.

The ingredients:
    1 1/2" ABS/PVC pipe
    2" ABS/PVC pipe
    2 couplers and some 3/8" hardware.
    [​IMG]

The notch in the top is so the swing arm has a place to sit and not drop the bike on my head while I'm working on it.
    The coupler on the other end is so I have a cheap piece to replace if/when it wears out from being on the ground.
    [​IMG]

It also works under the skid plate when you need to remove the front wheel.
    [​IMG]

Fully adjustable, light weight and compact (more or less).. I think it will do fine.

-T
  2. beyondhelp

beyondhelp likes cheese too.

Oddometer:
    That looks cool, can you show a pic of it in use? I'm not quite grasping it.
  3. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    i did a similar DIY with a 1" wooden dowel and a thingy that you screw in to your garage wall to hang a shovel or rake(?) Shaped like a wishbone, I guess.

I just lean the bike onto the side stand and kick it into place to prop the rear wheel. Works on the front with a bit more fidgeting.
  4. BigT

BigT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll see if I can find a picture.. In the mean time just look at the last photo and imagine it sitting just like that with the swing arm resting in the groove at the top. The bike sits on the side stand and that black pipe for removing the rear wheel, and the side stand and the skid plate for removing the front.

-T
  5. Squeaky

Squeaky A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer:
    Me likey! Ok, off to Home Depot...
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks good :thumb My off road riding buddy carries 3 short plastic pipes smaller than these and one fits into the other and it works great for lubing his chain, or removing a wheel.
  7. kerhonky

kerhonky Adventure Poser

Oddometer:
    Here's what I made:

[​IMG]

I left enough space between the two pieces at the hinge so that it goes slightly past straight, kind of like hyper-extending a knee.

[​IMG]

I use a velcro strap around the front brake lever to keep the bike from rolling. Put the notch under the spool (OK so it's just a bolt put in the threaded spot for a spool with three nuts put on it to keep the bolt from bending).

[​IMG]

Then push in with your foot (you can use your hand if you want, I find it easier with my foot.

[​IMG]

Lifts the tire about a half to three quarters of an inch. When I'm done lubing the chain or whatever it was I was doing that needed the tire lifted, it folds up to about 6 inches in length and goes in the side case.
  8. BigT

BigT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job.. What happens if you bump it with the rear wheel while removing it to fix a flat?:lol3 j/k.
    btw... Are those Oxtar boots you're wearing?? I love mine.
    Actually, I went to OSH, but I guess either will work.
    I'm doing a nice, long ride on Saturday and will see if I can get you a picture then.

-T
  9. kerhonky

kerhonky Adventure Poser

Oddometer:
    Actually, when I changed the rear tire I just used a bottle jack under the front of the swing arm. I was really careful when I put the tire back on, though.

Infinities. Love 'em.
  10. fixer

fixer KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    you can find an old pair of aluminum crutches at a thrift store, yard sale, etc. for about $5 or so, and use the adjustable leg to make a field jack.