Pics of remarkable road "strangers" you meet while riding....

Discussion in 'Photos' started by rarepartbuilder, Nov 21, 2015.

1. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    This thread is about interesting people "you" meet out on a dual sport ride .

Insert a snap shot of them ... maybe a blurb of their "story"...and the humbling experience it was for the picture taker.

As a tribute to the trials and tribulations of "your" stranger's story .. i would like to add this
    Enjoy:

I'll make the first of i hope many installments .....

I was out on early November 15' DS ride in a place called North road.. Collingwood NS. The road seemed to have an odd amount of graveyards,but for the most part you could easily look in from the road to see them while riding..except for the third one..

Just a small sign pointing off into the abyss.. so of course i followed it..

[​IMG]20151110_132514 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

After riding across a large field maybe a few hundred acres in size.. i encountered the fenced in grave yard which had an old 4x4 truck parked in front of it.. There was an 81 year old man showing his respects to a comrade he had attended a funeral service for {in the same spot} circa 1950's..

He wanted to mow the grave yard so others would know the deceased were "not forgotten"

[​IMG]20151110_135246 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

I ride during week days and had to keep moving to get back in time for work.. my heart was saying something much different...
    LoneWolf3, alpina, Uke and 9 others like this.
  2. kvsoldseca

kvsoldseca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats very touching. I hope when i'm gone, at least someone will feel that way about me. We should all be so lucky
    ChiriLeo likes this.
  3. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    As many of you riders know the real story is about what is unfolding before us. There is a bit of what i feel is forwardness to to take a stranger's picture... but the humbling part of the experience over shadows that.. for me any way....

Advocate Harbour Nova Scotia.. ... Mr Alan F.

Stopped for a treat at a Rite stop gas bar on a 14' trip ..before the bike was shut off i got a pretty big surprise. I noticed a gentleman i had met three years earlier when i had ridden solo through the area.He had told me about his wife passing 15 years ago and his yearly pilgrimage back to Advocate from the States to his birthplace near by. Alan's stories had very startling familiarity to them and hinged on some hard learned truths in my worldly beliefs ...Beliefs many live by and follow through example but never talk about.
    The conversation on this day was about where i had been off roading and his suggestions of "what to see" and the history of same ..from his recollection...
    I regretted years earlier not taking his picture.. lesson learned... got a photo this time...

Allan F.

[​IMG]20140718_191307 by freewillieklr, on Flickr
    alpina, Uke, st2sam and 3 others like this.
  4. ftw

ftw Live to live, ride to ride

Oddometer:
    DSC080321.JPG DSC080331.JPG
    DSC080141.JPG
    LoneWolf3, alpina, knight and 3 others like this.
  5. L0nerider

L0nerider 2003 XT600E

Oddometer:
    E Yorkshireman...divided between Chum Phae & Iraq
    The guy in the photo below is the owner of the Bikers Bar in Budva, Montenegro. When I stopped there for some food and a drink he came over and started to talk to me. He told me a lot of places to visit in Montenegro but to top it all he let me sleep in his bar for the night rather than go looking for a hotel or put my tent up. He also told all his staff that I was staying as his guest and was not to pay for anything. So I had a nice meal and a few beers on the house. He had a lot of bikes of his own

[​IMG]IMG_2348 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_2345 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_2344 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_2343 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_2342 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Wayne
    knight, kvesi122, 9Realms and 5 others like this.
  6. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This past May, we went on a dual-sport ride in northeastern Oklahoma with ADVer Airdale. This is an excerpt from a ride report I wrote about it.

After crossing the dam, we ended up back on Hwy. 100. Dale said that he had someone he wanted us to meet. We stopped at Country Cycle and Marine, a small rural repair shop. We introduced ourselves and talked for a while with the owner, one of his helpers, and his wife. The owner was introduced to us as Doug Sehl which meant nothing to us. He laughed a lot, chain smoked, and talked about the upcoming local strawberry festival. Then Dale asked if we could go into the front of the shop and see his trophies. On the wall, he had four plaques as Canadian National Flat-track Champion 1975-1978, along with numerous other awards and pic’s. He said he started out in motocross but would win an expert race and receive 50 cents and a bottle of oil. He knew he would never make any money that way so he concentrated on flat-track. He said that soon he was making $1000 a month along with working a full time job – good money at the time. He told us of smoking Kenny Roberts at a race and said that he was still good friends with him. He said that he was never allowed to ride for factory American Harley because he was Canadian, that they would only hire American riders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He also appeared in “On Any Sunday.” He was number 75 in the ice racing segment. He was the guy who rode “flat-track style with his foot out.” He talked about sitting in Bruce Brown’s living room, watching clips, and talking about which ones should be in the movie. He also showed us some stacks of Cycle News and said that he had every issue ever printed. He was quite the interesting fellow. I wish I would’ve asked him how he ended up down here in Oklahoma.
    alpina, katbeanz, Uke and 5 others like this.
  7. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    Wonderful

I find that after meeting such memorable.."genuine" folks there is always the questions that come to mind afterwards. For me in the case of Alan F, i never dreamed our paths would cross again... a humbling experience is the only way i can describe it... and its my lucky day when life sends these treasures my way.

8. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    July 12th 16'

Met a pretty remarkable gentleman this afternoon.. to put this in perspective, one needs to deliberate for a moment ...on how precious time is ..let alone the size of retirement projects one person can take on...anyways ... the story went like this......

I Hosted a ride in a nearby county for a young biking newbie wanting to experience his first DS ride after completing a motorcycle course last week.Enroute to the ride zone i passed a church that just 3 weeks earlier had the shingles stripped from the roof...and i "thought" new roof products were going on the 160+ year old structure...

Fast forward to today....i was shocked to see the building stripped to the frame and immediately pulled off the road to absorb what i was seeing...

as it sit Feb 1st 16'

[​IMG]20160201_164133 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]20160201_164229 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

inside through the side window......

[​IMG]20160201_164206 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

Enter Mr. P. Smith....{he was having lunch when we stopped in..lawn chair/cooler/food to his right coleman stove to his left}

[​IMG]20160712_124424 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

After hearing that a demolition crew was contacted to tear down a community landmark..he sprung into action and convinced the land holders to let him "disassemble" the church to "re-erect" on property he would provide....

Other than having a family relative supply a 1 ton truck to haul the plaster away,,he has been working on this by himself since the 24th of May,,,all the mortise and tenon beams are marked for reassembly... {other than the roof beams that were marked with roman numerals from the original build...}

This is where Mr. Smith's disassembly project to save the church is visually at...

[​IMG]20160712_124402 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]20160712_124804 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

he was showing me how the main floor beam locked to the front wall beam to keep the building from spreading apart... (in his picture above you can see the approx 1 - 1/4" floor boards originally hand grooved with a rabbet plane to make the boards female edges.. by his left foot a small pile of atrips used as the board "tongues"

[​IMG]20160712_124931 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

the large mortised beams in "x" fashion to keep the building square.

[​IMG]20160712_125200 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

[​IMG]20160712_124340 by Freewillie KLR, on Flickr

a big project.... and a pretty big person doing it.....alone ...wow :thumb

I genuinely told Smith "best of luck" when we parted...
    Think I'll dedicate this tune as a tribute to his energy....

LoneWolf3, alpina, jwc and 7 others like this.
  9. ChiriLeo

ChiriLeo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Too bad this thread does not have more stories and photos of the people met on the road.
    Are there not enough genuine characters in the world, to write about?
  10. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    didn't even know this very cool thread existed until today! i'm sure there are many of us with many stories to tell. i have met a lot "remarkable strangers" in my travels and will try to get pics and post on this thread in the future. :nod
  11. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    I never knew Yock... but given he inspired others to honor him with this simple marker...I'm sure I missed a genuine 'character'.

image.jpeg
    ChiriLeo likes this.
  12. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's an excerpt from a ride report that I did in May, 2015. This was in rural eastern Oklahoma. We had stopped to take pictures of a distant grass fire.

This old couple pulled up on their atv. He introduced the lady as his girlfriend, then began telling us his life story. He was a former cop, bass player in a country band, current fireman, and somewhat of a real estate tycoon - well, as much as you probably can be in that area. His dad was a moonshiner. He was very good-natured and kept going for probably thirty minutes. We finally said that we had to get riding. He told us where his place was and said to stop by next time we were there. He directed us to the scenic route and we were on our way.

[​IMG]
    alpina, Uke, bomose and 4 others like this.
  13. ChiriLeo

ChiriLeo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This summer I did my first "real", multi-day, road trip. One week, 3400 km - through Alberta, British Columbia, Washington, Idaho and back to BC.

The last night I stayed in Kimberley, BC, at a pair of very nice newlyweds that moved away from Calgary, AB. As I was preparing to go back home to Calgary, I stopped on the side of the road, somewhere in Kimberley. It was in August and there were people walking on the sidewalk. One lady came to me and asked me where I have been and where I am going. I told her my short story, that of my 3400 km, my first trip, I was very excited about it. She told me then that she was a local, from Kimberley, and this last summer took her 500cc CBR to Tofino, as well. We exchanged some experiences and felt a strange and strong connection. We did not exchange phone numbers or emails, something I should have asked for... since I'm still thinking about that meeting.

During this trip, I have to say, I was amazed how friendly people generally are, how approachable. And how more approachable and better connected I feel with people in general, when I'm riding my motorcycle as opposed to driving my car.
    jwc likes this.
  14. rarepartbuilder

Oddometer:
    Imagine how floored you would feel/be to encounter the same person the second time on another trip..somewhere down the pipe. For me a second time /by-chance meeting changed manyyyyyyyy things.. The awkwardness to get the camera out or ask candid questions is such a small deal compared to regrets.. and how short this freaking pony ride called life really is.
    ChiriLeo likes this.
  15. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    This guy followed me onto an elevator in La Paz Bolivia , with his handout
    He never said a word

Turns out he was the owner of the hotel where I was staying
    Earlier that day I had damaged a plastic door while riding into his hotel

Front desk clerk later told me that had to pay to replace the broken crystal .......and the bill was $12

[​IMG]
    alpina likes this.
  16. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    This Mexican told me his remarkable life story , we were both sober
    He then offered me some tequila out of a brand new bottle, it was 9am
    [​IMG]
    LoneWolf3, alpina, Uke and 2 others like this.
  17. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Truckers in Argentina
    The big guy looked at every word in my Spanish / English dictionary........ looking for the translation of BMW

It wasnt a great day for the guy in the red shirt , as he had always claimed to his mates that he was fluent in English
    He only knew a couple of words

[​IMG]
  18. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Waiting out a down pour, I met these equipment operators taking a break from clearing the rain forest

They were taking turns relentlessly taunting the kid in the shorts for being gay , which he had to deny every single time

[​IMG]
    LoneWolf3, alpina and bomose like this.
  19. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer: