Pics of Woody's NEW ,TRICK,Superlite hubs R1200GS/GSA/HP-2

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Nov 28, 2007.

1. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    "trick nipples with sealing o-rings and specially drilled rims to properly line up and mate "
    You make it sound so dirty.:rofl
    Great looking hub/wheels. I need to get mine done.
  2. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3 Oh ye Scots! You will need those lighter rims when you try and keep up with me on our next ride mate! :katAnyway how's the pinky mate? Still giving you trouble?? :rofl
  3. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    Woody!? Is the G650X front end the same as the HP2 front? If so you only really need to come up with a rear hub for the G650X... And since you will find more 650 riders out there, you might actually get a return on your valuable time investment when you lathe up for us mate!! C'mon Chris, you're the number man!! :deal :D
  4. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    Hey guys... Need a volunteer!? :huh Woody says he may be interested in building some alloy Billet hubs for the X-Challenge to superlace onto some sexy excel rims. However he needs a doner bike to measure up! http://www.advrider.com/forums/priva...m&pmid=2164656

Someone take two steps forward please.. Or everyone else take two steps back! :lol3 This is for the good of the GX community :deal

Cheers
  5. WaterOx

WaterOx Farklevergnügen

Oddometer:
    I can loan mine...I live just north of Denver! :D
  6. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    BRILLIANT!! :clap Give Woody a PM.
  7. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Woody you're killing me. Now tell me you can lace up a hub and hoop for the HP that won't taco as easily as the OEM.
  8. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    i've already been doing that since the bike came out,,,,1.60 x21 A-60 Excel will be your choice du jour,,,mo pricey but IMHO mo betta,,,:thumb

not only that,,,but my Superlace is one tuff concoction from the feedback,,,,7000,,miles across Baja including prerunning the baja 1000 course at warp speed,,,or doing last years paris dakar,,,without touching the spokes!!!!:super
  9. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Here's a little layout of how our new front billet hub was created.

ya start out with a great big chunk of billet 6061-T6,,,and start cutting it up like this.....

[​IMG]

then it gets turned down in a rough profile on the CNC lathe.....
    [​IMG]

some more steps in the lathe....
    [​IMG]

not pictured are the first and second steps on the cnc mill...the first step is cutting the inner and outer shapes,,,then it gets flipped and mounted on a second fixture for the same process,,after that comes the drilling/countersinking on the angle plate pictured below.....
    [​IMG]

this is the final finished prototype,,,,,just before we laced it up and found out EVEYTHING CLEARS!!!,,,,with a little fine tuning we were able to shoot the narrow gap between the clunkiest /widest calipers i've run across.....

[​IMG]

then we do a quick lace ntrue to check that everything clears,,,,AND IT DID!!!!
    [​IMG]

so off to the 4 decimmal point accurate machinists scale to find out that!!!!!.....
    we are lighter than our expectations,,,you allwant me to add some more meat anywhere????

and these number's don't lie:

[​IMG]

These wheels aren't only stronger, but shave over 5 pounds off of the stock set-up. Plus, they're pretty too.

Chris

PS,,,,,on the actual run ,,,all these holes will get a finish treatment with a ball cutter to debur all the edges....not to shabby,,,got it all figured out with just three practice hubs.....i love working with mike berry and making this stuff for you all,,,,he builds all our trick parts for whatever it is i can conjure up,,,,kudos to him and his gang at MB Precision Machining,,the last thing we just did today was make the HP-2 single disc hub whoich will be EVEN LIGHTER yet,,,,pics will follow,,,,
  10. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Here's a little sample of the current color choices for our new Billet hubs for the HP2, R1200GS, and R1200GSAs. Let us know, which one you like best.AND PLEASE pass the word to your fellow GS/HP-2 crowd....there's one more color that intriques me and that is anthracite/gunmetal grey,,,similar to the color of the latest nipples on the bmw x-laced wheels

FYI,,,the picture does'nt do justice to the two silver hubs in rear ,,one looks silver just like your standard silver rims,,the other is a clear anodized hub that was bead blasted prior t the treatment,,,and it is stunning,,looks like factory magnesium casting.....

[​IMG]

Will have some picture's on the bike and with rims in the next week or so.

Chris
  11. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    They're... So Fucking BEAUTIFUL :cry :raabia It just makes me want to... Well, order another set for my Pig! :lol3
  12. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a good thing you're done with my wheel before you posted these pics!! I like the black hub and the blue one too.. just gorgeous.. let's see what they look like laced up!!

:lurk
  13. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    we can work you up a ''spare set'':thumb
  14. Steady

Steady Flogster

Oddometer:
    B - E - A - U difull.

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Nothing nicer than seeing something well done.
  15. WaterOx

WaterOx Farklevergnügen

Oddometer:
    So I dropped off my XCh at Woody's yesterday (more on that later) and today he left me a message that he had some exciting news. :clap

I'll post when I know more but sounds like billet front hubs are a go and maybe rears as well...stay tuned.

Go Woody!
  16. Firefight911

Firefight911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    SSCCCCCHHHHHHWWWWIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ricky:wings:ricky:wings
  17. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    well,,,a little mod here n there,,and i can convert certain existing trick billet hubs to your needs,,, and add much better rims ,,spokes ,,lace patterns etc ,,,we can impove the oem experience,, as well as the bling,,techno enhancemeent program,:wink:,
  18. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    This is great news Woody! I hope my wheels come with the trick hubs :rilla Still as Chris says... "He will keep me informed!" :ear
  19. fixinbones

fixinbones Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chris,
    Could we see some better pictures of the silver hubs showing their detail and the difference between the two finishes. Thanks.
  20. WaterOx

WaterOx Farklevergnügen

Oddometer:
    So I spoke with Woody again today and the options at this point (for the X Challenge) are:

1. use BMW OEM hubs and superlace to Excel rims
    + less expensive and no customization required
    + yields good strong wheelset
    - no trick looking, lighter hubs

2. use RAD KTM hubs, use KTM rear rotor and sprocket set, use stock front rotor, add some Woody work and superlace to Excel rims
    + trick RAD hubs
    + yields good strong wheelset
    - requires using KTM rear rotor and sprocket
    - slightly more money since can't re-use BMW rear rotor/sprocket

3. wait until RAD or someone else is willing to make BMW XCh specific billet hubs...Woody is currently tied up with the HP2/R12GS custom hubs

I chose option #1 for my purposes...I don't care about bling. That said, Woody is great to work with and will build almost anything you come up with.

Woody or Chris: please correct me if I didn't capture the currently available options correctly