1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

PICTURES of BIKE'S .....

Discussion in 'Australia' started by OldOzy, Jul 8, 2009.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki Team Green used to go with 3 of them down in Baja back in the day... this was the bike ridden by Danny Hamel, Larry Roessler and Danny Laporte... there was an identical second team bike that Ted Hunnicut, Ty Davis and Paul Krause rode...

[​IMG]
    DeLewis, numbat and Richarde1605 like this.
  2. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who needs a fairing tower with that setup?
  3. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    When all three lights kicked in at once at idle... the poor ignition... the bike almost stalled... :rofl
    BergDonk and Richarde1605 like this.
  4. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What winds were they using on the stator, it should not really slow down unless it is a field excited alternator.

Interesting comment Troy, I am interested in how they ran that much apparent power.
  5. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    I have no idea of the technical set up, or how it worked... I just know they drew a lot of current and lit the track up like a lighthouse...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Perth305 and Richarde1605 like this.
  6. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s not ADV unless your subframe is bent, that two smoker has been running hard.
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  7. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Here is some footage of what Baja 1000 is like riding at night;

I've done seven Baja races (1000 x 4 and 500 x 3) quite a number of years ago now... and my riding assignments were always at night; which as Timmy Weigand (in the interview above) says - is pretty funky. Everything takes on a different appearance at night... the darkness hides obstacles and animals... it can also alter your perspective of speed (the lack of peripheral vision - you don't realise that the scrub is flying past so fast)... like racing down a dark, dusty bumpy tunnel.

It places a lot of importance on pre-running and the quality of the light spread pattern your set up offers. I really loved the time I spent in Baja all those years back.
  8. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler

Oddometer:
  9. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    JC is/was exceptional in his preparation, pre-riding over and over, knew nearly bloody whoop for the entire course.

Makes me want to dig-out the old Dust to Glory movie.
  10. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler

Oddometer:
  11. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb Talk about not seeing the corner's exit. I wonder what the differential is between average speed of night and day riding?
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  12. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    One finger brakes.

AC20C4D1-1769-4D89-B0F8-8B82F64BD5EE.jpeg C293B465-7554-4321-9D97-DA91F5D40774.jpeg 25B42EBB-9AF5-480E-A796-9ED44CD5B269.jpeg C911419C-A79E-4045-8DEE-A0F42B7B2FF2.jpeg
  13. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    I love your pics from the Salamanca gatherings :thumb
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  14. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    They are great bunch of eclectic girls and guys.
    020FA20A-E1D5-44EB-97FA-52FA1E226CAF.jpeg 5B113B34-BDA0-4653-8A73-44F165721146.jpeg 45D63000-A75F-49F8-886A-B5D4FB39CE43.jpeg
  15. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've often thought about fitting those indicators to my bikes. I'd imagine they're not legal but what is these days.
    [​IMG]
    numbat and Just Dan like this.
  16. Pob61

Pob61 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20200927-133835.png an old friend of a friend in Germany
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  17. BLU_FZ1

BLU_FZ1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Danny Hammel is, the the best there was. Looks like Guy Cooper behind Danny?
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  18. numbat

numbat Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. rossguzzi

rossguzzi 990 Adv.

Oddometer:
    If I ever slow down so much that I needed a cruiser, may it be an Ambassador. Or better still a nice Convert.
    upload_2020-9-27_20-37-20.png
  20. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Hence my comparison between Hedge and JC... both consumate professionals when it came to preparation and execution of their desert racing programs.

No data to support this... I am sure one could go onto SCORE's tracking records and do a mathematical comparison... average speeds achieved on the common sections they run durinng daylight vs. night... but my seat of the pants suggestion would be, that the top moto teams (out front) drop about 10 to 15% pace on the stages - as compared to what they'd pull in the same conditions (dust free) if run in daylight. Now, that's a top level rider, on a fully pro lit and set up bike, on a stage assignment that he has pre-run multiple times (maybe two or three in the week or so prior) and committed to memory... and going for the win.

Two things that REALLY impede vision at night in Baja (other than an electrical failure) are the infamous fog banks (that occur out on he Pacific coast at night) and hanging dust in the legendary silt (bulldust) that is also part and parcel of Baja racing... these two factors can see the pace drop from anything from 30% to 40%... down to walking pace.

Amatuer and sportsman entries would run (at a guess) at a pace 25 to 40% slower than at daylight... the BIG difference here (other than rider skill) is the ability to have pre-run the riding assignment.

Another thing that knocks the pace of the fastest guys down... is all the spectator campfires, lighting (and booby traps) that litter the more populated nothern sections of tha Baja race course's - up out of Ensenada to Ojos Negros, down around SanFelipe etc. where ther could be anything up to 5,000 crazed fans lining a four mile stretch of the course... The Zoo road (powerline) out of San Felipe - as used regularly in the B1K, Baja 500 and San Felipe 250 races - is a classic example. The thousands the spectators and paraphernalia adjacent to the racetrack is a HUGE distraction (and risk). In the daylight it is mayhem... at night, it's INSANE... it has to be seen to be believed - but as most veteran Baja racers say... that's part of racing the desert in Mexico.

Personally, racing hard at night (with good lights) out on a remote dust and fog free section of the Baja peninsula - on a cloudless night, with only the stars and moon above you - is one of the great memories I take from that place... It was total "in the zone" isolation and at the same a time plugged in communion with the landscape you were racing through. It is something that makes it a special place and one that I feel priveliged to have experienced.

Danny hammel was a phenomenon (like Kurt Casseli) and one truly likeable individual at the same time. Baja took them both... a harsh place - even to it's heroes. Never take anything for granted buring Baja races.

I don't know who that is behind Danny in that photo... but it's not Coop. I recall seeing his face around the team green outfit for a number of years... but no idea of his name.