Pilbara gorges - Western Australia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by OzBen, Mar 17, 2009.

1. OzBen

OzBen KTM690ER

Oddometer:
    Four 1200GS&#8217;s on a 7 day - 3,500km ride to the gorges in the Pilbara region of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Western Australia</st1:place></st1:State>. The Pilbara is a hard, rocky, tyre destroyi<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName> landscape about 1,500km north of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Perth</st1:place></st1:City>. It&#8217;s rich in iron ore, red dirt and spinifex and known for its beautiful gorges, natural pools and spinifex fairies (local jargon &#8211; I won&#8217;t explain that one). We walked and swam the gorges, made up the itinerary on the run, rode tracks we hadn&#8217;t planned for and lots of dirt. Jono lay down with his bike in soft sand, Gavin hit a sheep and I broke my folding chair, but otherwise thi<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName>s went well.

The first two days were relatively dull as we headed north on the West Coast highway to get to Nanutarra road house, about 1,300kms north of Perth. From there we would turn inland into the heart of the Pilbara. Day 1 we did 600km and camped at a nice spot on the banks of the <st1:place w:st="on">Murchison River</st1:place>.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 2 we did 800km and after turni<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName> east at Nanutarra, camped in a not-so-nice clearing in the spinifex about 1km off the road. At least we were now in the Pilbara amo<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName>st the red dirt, the spinifex and the wildflowers so it was all good.
    [​IMG]

How many kilometres back to the main road Gavin?
    [​IMG]

The next morni<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName>, on our way back to the main road, Jono had a lie-down with his bike in some soft sand. Fortunately his 1200Adv was too heavy to get back up before we got photographic evidence.
    [​IMG]

We fuelled up in Tom Price and headed for Hamersley gorge, where we spent most of the afternoon in the pools.
    [​IMG]

A good way to relax after two days ridi<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName>...
    [​IMG]

It was all dirt now and we were where we wanted to be.
    We did a 100km burst on dirt late in the afternoon (ka<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName>aroo time - keeps you on your toes).
    [​IMG]

We found a clearing in the spinifex to camp.
    [​IMG]

The bourbon facilitated a great eveni<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName> around the campfire. My foldi<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName> chair broke somehow (maybe we shouldn't have finished all the bourbon...) but in amongst the spinifex I found a toilet seat mounted on a milk crate, so I had a comfortable seat. We spent the night under the stars...
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Taking the toilet seat with me was tempting but after mounti<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName> it on the bike I decided it was too big and clumsy so I reluctantly left it behind for the next lucky adventurer...
    [​IMG]

The next day we walked and swam the gorges. Some of them are close together so we could do Oxer, Weano and Knox gorge.
    ...Oxer&#8230;
    [​IMG]

...Weano&#8230;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and Knox gorge.
    [​IMG]

A dirt ride in the afternoon to get to Dales Gorge where we spent the rest of the day in the pools.
    [​IMG]

Another late afternoon burst on the dirt before we camped near Auski road house.

[​IMG]

The next morning, after breakfast at Auski <st1:personName w:st="on">we</st1:personName> tackled the 230km dirt stretch alo<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName> the Roy Hill road to Newman.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My GS with its budget panniers...
    [​IMG]

A pub lunch was in order at the Red Sands tavern in Newman.
    [​IMG]

We continued south alo<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName> the Great Northern highway to Meekatharra, where we camped the night.
    Day 6 saw us travelli<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName> a little further south to Cue where we turned south west, back onto dirt towards Yalgoo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On to Morowa from Yalgoo. Gavin hit a sheep but managed to stay upright so all was well (except the poor sheep that hobbled off into the bush with a damaged back leg). We stopped at an abandoned homestead&#8230;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

...Walgahna Rock&#8230;
    [​IMG]

...and Dalgara<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName>a.
    [​IMG]

That afternoon we struck rain sheltered in the old Morawa convent where we got cheap, clean rooms and a shower.
    Back to <st1:City w:st="on">Perth</st1:City> the next day alo<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName> the Three Spri<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName>s&#8211;Moora road, taki<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName> the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Chitteri<st1:personName w:st="on">ng</st1:personName></st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Valley</st1:placeType></st1:place> loop for more a more scenic ride.
    Cheers
    OzBen
  2. dwestmodesto

dwestmodesto Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Ride sounds great, but for some reason, all your pics are not coming in.
    Dave
  3. mrazekan

mrazekan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pics came through for me.

Nice pictures and WOW! Those pools are awesome!

Folding chair huh? You guys pack light I see.

Thanks for sharing.
  4. selkins

selkins Gotta light?

Oddometer:
    A few days of riding and swimming in those gorges sounds like a good-sized chunk of heaven! Thanks for posting.
  5. BigX

BigX n00b - Yeah, right

Oddometer:
    Nicely done!
  6. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard

Oddometer:
    Geat thanks for sharing, it looks lot like a part in South Africa.

BTW how do you guys like the Heindies, we also get them in South Africa now, seems like a excellent tyre?
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your first ride report looks great, thanks showing us the Pilbara gorges, and welcome aboard :thumb
  8. zadok

zadok Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice one, Ben.:clapGotta love that toilet.:D
  9. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the forum OzBen.. :wave

Excellent first post with this ride report mate.. Beautiful part of the World you visited and only wish I had enough time to take it all in when I was there in 2007.. :thumb
  10. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nicely done!
  11. Stiner

Stiner Son of Dakardad

Oddometer:
    great report, looks like you had alot of fun! hopefully someday i can go down and ride those roads!
  12. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    Hi Ben, nice to see you on the site. (I'm sure we met when my mate John bought some bits of your mate in Attadale).

Good report by the way, nice to see all the red dirt on the bikes.

Andrew Linton.
  13. AUS CRUZER

AUS CRUZER Lets Cruz

Oddometer:
    Great report and welcome OzBen.That gorge is great:clap :wave
  14. LC8TY

LC8TY must......find........fuel

Oddometer:
    Bloody good stuff mate, you got the words/pic ratio spot on I reckon.

Karijini is a great spot to ride, good dirt roads and great scenery. :thumb
  15. guzzimike

guzzimike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where do you get them Ben? (The tyres)
    Great report mate, bit of a killer photographer too!
  16. Clancy

Clancy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ben. Great report. you're a lucky lucky man, and I hate you:lol3 :thumb
  17. Sofa King

Sofa King Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great lookin trip.:clap
  18. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Top report Ben.I should be over your way next year so looking forward to seeing it myself.

Cheers
    A2
  19. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    magic !!!, I got to get up there one of these days:thumbup
  20. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    brilliant! you can be proud of that ride and report.:clap