Pine Barrens rides (please read first post)

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by NJ-Bill, Mar 15, 2016.

1. StanBo

StanBo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @RebelYell the only time I get bike envy is when we are at the parking lot of an event. Oh and sometimes when there is a stretch of blacktop highway between dirt sections.

DRZ is an awesome bike.

Hope you all had a good time yesterday. Was out from sun rise to sun set riding dirt. Temps and sun was perfect. Couldn't ask for more.
    RebelYell likes this.
  2. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Stan, you should have joined us. What a beautiful day for a big bike ride in the Pine Barrens. 66 degrees, damp dirt (so no dust), and some nice puddles to negotiate on Glassworks and Muddy Road. Thanks, Roaddogg and Marty for the company. Whitesbog was as beautiful as ever!

IMG_2567.JPG IMG_2568.JPG IMG_2569.JPG
  3. StanBo

Oddometer:
    @docgonzo it would have been with a pretty big group of riders! We had a ride going with some friends of friends and friends of their friends so I just rode with those friends :imaposer

Either way it was a day stolen from the Summer and I am so glad I went out and rode it. A south jersey local rider changed up our routing to keep us away from the deep water and the group had a good time.

Lesson of the day:

Make sure your gear bag is closed.

I was mid sweep and while doing my normal pick up litter looking I saw a pair of pant liners. Then an upper liner. Picked both up and kept riding.

Only to catch up to the front of the group circled around a bike doing the "well let's fix it shuffle".

Seems another shirt had worked its way into the riders drivetrain and stalled the bike out.

He wasn't hurt.
    He didn't loose the car keys he had in his bag.
    He got a set of his base layers back.

I don't think an open bag will be an issue with him for a while. :loco
  4. rgordon

rgordon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good Morning,

I will be returning to NJ with my KTM 450 EXC. I have been away for many years and have been exclusively riding in New England’s rocky terrain.

I am registered and insured. I am looking to ride some legal sandy NJ fire roads. Does anyone have any info on routes? I do have a GPS and any shared files will be greatly appreciated.

I will be staying in Brick from 11/25 to 11/29

Ross
    rj95lss likes this.
  5. Glade

Glade Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Friday and Saturday look good-is anyone planning a ride?
  6. Oleseahorse

Oleseahorse Formerly Oleseahorse, presently Mr. P

Oddometer:
    It's going to be a great day tomorrow. I will make a pit stop at Wawa in Whiting tomorrow around 9:30-10 and continue on my way if anyone would like to join me.
    Marty
  7. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want to ride so bad unfortunately right now I'm dealing w bronchitis / sinus infection n its making me feel like crap right now
  8. Glade

Glade Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Saturday is looking like a better option for me.
  9. T100-SC

T100-SC Ride Old Bikes

Oddometer:
    Just wondering...if there is any advice regarding Pines rides during deer hunting season. From both a personal safety as well as a courtesy to the hunters aspect. I've had deer hunters tell me that during our typical riding window...say 9am to 4pm...go ahead and have a good ride. The now nocturnal deer are mostly bedded down then and not moving anyway. Other hunters may feel otherwise. Also, is there deer hunting in NJ on Sundays? I appreciate any advice or suggestions...
    StanBo likes this.
  10. Crazybrian

Crazybrian Resident Moose

Oddometer:
    Thats pretty true, Sunday hunting is still allowed with bows only.
    StanBo likes this.
  11. StanBo

Oddometer:
    Have never caught a stink eye from Hunters while riding in those hours. Riding past slow enough to give them a good morning most just wave and continue on their business.

Thanks for mentioning the hours. I didn't know there was a "prime time".
  12. KIM750

KIM750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve never been to the pine barrens and would like to ri
  13. KIM750

KIM750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live in MD about 2 1/2 hours from the Pine Barrens from what I can tell. I have a tagged Husky and would like to give the Pine Barrens a try. If anybody is riding Saturday and wants some company, let me know. Right now, my Saturday looks good.
  14. T100-SC

T100-SC Ride Old Bikes

Oddometer:
    No...of course there's no prime time, I didn't mean to imply that. But at this time of the year most of my off-road rides fall somewhere between 9 and 4. And my sense is most deer hunters are active at either dawn or dusk. I'm told that's when the deer are most likely to be moving/feeding. So...perhaps...the hunters favored times differ from our's...perhaps...
  15. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    If you stay on the legal stuff, you will not be bothering the hunters. In fact, you are probably helping them by moving the deer towards them. They are not supposed to hunt from the road or open fields, I believe.
    There were dozens of pheasant hunters out around Assunpink this afternoon with their dogs. They didn't shoot at us much....:-)
    T100-SC likes this.
  16. jimj911

jimj911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All those hunters searching for pheasant and the only one I saw was the one you kicked up off the road as we went by.
  17. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    When i had my ape it was starting to get dark and I heard someone yell shut that bleeping thing off..I was dressed in bright color riding gear n I'm thinking great this is gonna be the day I get shot..I was nervous thinking if someone was hellbent I could of gotten an arrow or buckshot in my back and I'd of been an easy target
  18. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thinking of coming down for a few days... was never there... where is a good place to camp?
  19. fitzPA

fitzPA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    where is a good place to camp?

Any of the State Campgrounds is good (Atsion, Bass, Byrne); None have hookups (elec/water)
    but all have bathrooms with toilets/showers - Byrne has the more modern bathrooms.

Large sites, fire-ring and the trails/roads are literally right from your camp-site.

Water is available from a spigot but may be turned off for the winter; Batsto camp-grounds
    (Bodine, Godfrey, Mullica) are PRIMATIVE - ie no bathrooms, pit toilets and may not have
    water.

Book early as the camp grounds are at 50 capacity per Governor mandate.
    eddie bolted likes this.
  20. Sky2adam

Sky2adam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    eddie bolted likes this.