Pine Barrens rides (please read first post)

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by NJ-Bill, Mar 15, 2016.

1. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As I've said before"any idiot can ride a quad, therefore every idiot rides a quad" Now with sideXsides you get "hold my beer I'm going to climb this hill for the twentieth time"
  2. Oleseahorse

Oleseahorse Formerly Oleseahorse, presently Mr. P

Oddometer:
    Going to make a pit stop at Wawa on Route 70 today at 1. Probably ride east and southeast and try to loop. Small bike.

Marty
  3. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    The only thing more important to folks on here than riding - food.
  4. Montewest

Montewest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How is a side by side street legal?
    It takes zero skill to ride a quad and far too many drunks tearing up the trails with them.
    When they invented them, it was the beginning of the end for dirt bikes.
    I know, I'm old, 75, been riding down here for over 50 years, watching it deteriorate every year. Now the side by sides and monster tire jeeps making it worse. And don't complain, I drive a jeep and ride a dirt bike, a two stroke with a Jersey plate no less. I might be preaching to the choir, but I have a problem with irresponsible 4 wheelers.
    IndigoSwann likes this.
  5. motoben

motoben Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I did end up buying a small dual sport with knobbies! It's a 2014 CRF250L and I'm hoping that I can take it out this weekend for a bit, probably Sunday. Is anyone riding and wouldn't mind me tagging along?
  6. Dragonberry

Dragonberry n00b

Oddometer:
    Brand new to riding off-road. is the pine barrens really not a place to learn?
    some of the stuff im reading here makes it sound really tough haha.
  7. Crazybrian

Crazybrian Resident Moose

Oddometer:
    I disagree. Learn in the sand. Everything is easy after that.
    RebelYell, rkdwp and dstutz like this.
  8. Dragonberry

Dragonberry n00b

Oddometer:
    do you guys organize rides? id love to ride down there and give it a shot! thanks for the response ^
    Crazybrian likes this.
  9. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    It's certainly softer to fall in the sand.
    RebelYell, rkdwp and Crazybrian like this.
  10. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell that to my clavicle, scapula and ribs...LOL.
  11. BigBluKlr

BigBluKlr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm only in to my 3rd year riding and all of my off road was in the Pines and it's riding my Pig (KLR). It's learning and you get better and you get more confident. Wear the right gear and practice in your front yard how to pick up your bike. Two things that took me by surprise is how much momentum a human body has at 15-20 mph when not attached to the bike any more. The other was just how slippery off camber mud is to a front tire.
    This last year not getting out in the Pines made riding mostly pavement (99.8%) a bit of a bore. That not what I want to do.
    By the way I started this at 60 years young. - Just Do it
    rj95lss, dstutz and Bhart89 like this.
  12. motoben

motoben Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was pretty much brand new to off-road riding before my first visit to the Pine Barrens. I was on a fairly heavy KLR with very non-aggressive tires (Dunlop Trailmax Mission) and I dropped my bike numerous times in the sand. But...I lived and the bike didn't seem to mind.

I'd recommend just having a go at it. Wear gear, keep your speeds reasonable, and don't ride into anything you don't think you can get out of. Also, check out the Mototrek channel on youtube for a bunch of good videos, but particularly the one on deep sand.

Edit: Here's the specific video:
    joevacc and dstutz like this.
  13. Nir-ISR

Nir-ISR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    something recent? are you ok?
  14. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have to ride loose in sand and not tense up
  15. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    We are very fortunate to have a great school for teaching the skills necessary for riding in the Pine Barrens. Well worth the cost if it saves you a trip to the ER!:-)
    http://www.pinebarrensadventures.com/
    I am a volunteer helper, but have no financial involvement. Mike and Jack are fantastic instructors.

Speaking of Jack, did a little ride with him and his buddies this a.m. in the 100 acre wood. I dropped back because I like to go a little slower then these ex-enduro riders, but everyone had fun. Did Whitesbog (my favorite) and some BB and Wharton. 60 miles of sweetness. Conditions were excellent. All puddles were easily negotiable. Here's some photos of the legal stuff that I did:

IMG_2650.JPG IMG_2651.JPG IMG_2652.JPG IMG_2653.JPG Spoiler alert!
    Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 4.07.14 PM.png
  16. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    I figured it be flooded out after all the rain we had last night
  17. Oleseahorse

Oleseahorse Formerly Oleseahorse, presently Mr. P

Oddometer:
    Did 70 miles yesterday and there were plenty of puddles but I did not encounter any difficulty skirting edges.

Attached Files:

18. algunn

algunn Adventuring in NJ

Oddometer:
    It's a good place to learn. No hills and no rocks. Lot's of legal dirt roads. Some occasional deep sand is the only challenge.
    RebelYell likes this.
  19. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in early October...was paying too much attention to GPS after I had missed a turn and had a "run in" with a log. Thankfully I was only about 10 miles from my truck...picked the bike up and rode out, wasn't fun. Had some help from decafe (:clap) who's place I had parked at. Back to mostly normal use at this point...I'm sure I'll be back out in the spring. Was a not looking thing, not a doing something stupid (other than not looking forward) thing.
    RebelYell likes this.
  20. Nir-ISR

Nir-ISR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I broke my collarbone many years ago, bad landing with a mountain bike, walked the 2 miles back to the car, pushing the bike with the none injured arm.
    I can't imagine how excruciating it was to ride 10 miles with that kind of injury!