Pine Barrens rides (read rules before posting)

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by NJ-Bill, Mar 15, 2016.

1. mda185

mda185 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking at the picture above and zooming in, I can't tell if the route or road you are on is actually showing up on your phone app. It looks like the geographic features nearby are rendered. Does the guru app actually show you the trail or dirt road you are on? That is the feature of the Garmin Montana that I like. In the Pine Barrens and PA State Forests, the Garmin topo maps show a lot of unimproved, unpaved roads that don't show up on many phone mapping apps.
  2. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depends on the maps you load just like the garmin.
    If you download Boyd’s maps of PB it can be loaded on a Montana or in Galileo (guru).

He even has instructions on how to get them in to the iOS app.

https://boydsmaps.com/boyds-map-of-the-pines-hd/

Also side note, i shouldn’t have been where i was. Got lost...
    mda185 likes this.
  3. mda185

Oddometer:
    This is very disturbing to me. Many years ago, I lost a cousin near Hazleton, PA to a farmer that strung a steel cable across a trail to stop trespassing motorcycle riders. It took his head off. My cousin was only 16 years old. Yes, he was breaking the law, but deadly force was and is not the answer.
  4. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    O man!!!! That’s horrible!
    Did they find the guy who did it?
    What is wrong with people!
  5. hodaka125

hodaka125 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If that was my son that farmer would not have made it to court
    NEPA 450x likes this.
  6. mda185

Oddometer:
    Yes, the police knew immediately who did it. The man had been complaining about kids trespassing on dirt bikes for a while. He was tried for manslaughter if I remember correctly and got off without any jail time. This was over 30 years ago and the prevailing attitude was the man was within his rights to protect his property and he did not intend to take a life. For many years after that, I had aunts and uncles from that area who blamed the motorcycle culture of 'rule breaking' for his death and gave me a hard time for continuing to ride. In their eyes, the vast majority of riders are rule breakers and not worthy of respect. My father was in that camp until my oldest brother, a doctor, took up riding in his late 40's. When the firstborn son decided to ride, it was amazing how the old man's attitude changed.

I don't know if this needs to be said, but the Hazleton area has always been a bit behind the times. There is an old story about the rock band, The Guess Who, flying into the Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton airport for a concert. The pilot got on the intercom and said something to effect of "Ladies and gentlemen set your clocks back 50 years." There is beautiful countryside around the town but the city itself is rather run down and depressing. There is a reason my branch of the family moved away.
  7. hodaka125

Oddometer:
    Like I said that farmer would not have made another
    Year as a father I know he would have paid for killingmy son. Right or wrong no way I let that go
  8. mda185

Oddometer:
    I just hope they find out who did it to the young man in the Pine Barrens.
  9. algunn

algunn Adventuring in NJ

Oddometer:
    There's no investigation. Nobody gives a shit but us. People in cars kill bikers all the time and rarely get more than summons. Every time one of us goes down people say "Hey, that's what you get for riding a motorcycle."
    NEPA 450x, MuckSavage and racermx66 like this.
  10. tootallpines

tootallpines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found a little more out about the recent event.
    The rider was, knowingly or unknowingly, on private hunting club property near Wharton. They strung up some line to deter riders. He was at a pretty good clip when he hit it.
    He’s home now after a few days in hospital. Apparently can’t talk much as his tongue is still swollen and purple... ugh
    He got two tickets for trespassing.
    Ride safe
  11. hodaka125

Oddometer:
    Ok now he can sue the owner of the property for putting up the cable. You cannot put up a cable it has to be a gate. So pay the small fine for trespassing and get a big settlement from the owner for being an asshole.
    Glad he going to recover now go get a good lawyer. I would also charge the owner with reckless endangerment
    NEPA 450x, tootallpines and Kevm like this.
  12. algunn

algunn Adventuring in NJ

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear I was wrong (not the first, nor the last time). The club is screwed. You can't set up traps for trespassers. Hope they have good insurance. Of course the insurance company will probably weasel out and not pay for the consequences of the club's illegal act.
  13. hodaka125

Oddometer:
    I hope that what happens and the club has to pay out of pocket
  14. hodaka125

Oddometer:
    I hope they put leans on there homes
  15. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Setting up "booby traps" for trespassers is, as Al says, illegal and will get you at least a manslaughter conviction. But putting up a wire fence (like and electric fence for live-stock) is not, so the lawyers will be the winners here, making billable hours at the expense of the rest of us.
    Riding safely, though, in the Pine Barrens, is pretty easy if you stick to the legal roads and avoid the "No Trespassing" signs. Also, you probably should not be riding over 10 foot artificial sand berms that are blocking a road. Probably put up there by private land owners for an obvious reason.
    I've been riding in the Pine Barrens for 20 years now, and as long as I stay on legal stuff, I feel perfectly safe. If I want to ride single track or the fire-cuts, I pay the fee and ride the organized dual sport events that get the permits.
    Stay legal in the Pine Barrens, and you will be pretty safe.

By the way, a private land owner, like the sand quarry in the Revzilla article, is liable if someone gets injured on their property. Especially if they don't make a concerted effort to prevent adventurous trespassers from crashing in their quarries. This exact situation was one of the questions on the 2010 Bar exam.
    T100-SC and MuckSavage like this.
  16. hodaka125

Oddometer:
    While the state could fix that by passing a law the says if you are trespassing on private property you can not sue unless the set up a trap like a cable across the road. If you are climbing a hill and crash it on you
  17. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Yes, the right laws can protect us from the lawyers, but that is more “govment”, right?
    In fact ski states passed laws a number of years ago to stop all the lawsuits from ski injuries. Buy a lift ticket, ski, and assume the risk. That saved that industry.
    mosey.levy likes this.
  18. BigBluKlr

BigBluKlr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's the same for the Equine industry in NJ. Step foot onto an equine facility, farm, arena, training/show ring and you assume all responsibilities and can not sue the owner. They have to post this but it is at your risk. I think most people understand the risks inherent in these different hobbies and accept that it's on them for the most part. The actions of angry people certainly can add unforeseen risks both on road and off road.
  19. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Ski and Equine are great examples and I don't think people should be able to sue property owners for BS claims like tripping on cracked concrete or not completely ridding the sidewalk of snow and ice. There's a certain amount of bottom line responsibility we must take for ourselves.

HOWEVER - placing something like a thin chain or rope that might be hard to see across an otherwise potentially unclear property boundary or trail at a height where it could kill an unsuspecting motorcyclist is another level. The cyclist obviously shares some portion of the responsibility for trespass but so does the property owner.

At least that's how I see it.
  20. hodaka125

Oddometer:
    I agree but I think whoever put up that cable is 100%
    Responsible. Trespassing is not a crime it a disorderly offense.
    NJDualsporter likes this.