Pine Barrens rides (read rules before posting)

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by NJ-Bill, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Pineyrider

Pineyrider back into woods riding after 20 years

Oddometer:
    No worries, I am a newbie retread. Just trying to keep myself inline and hope to have some fun.
  2. BigBluKlr

BigBluKlr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe he meant and did remove the pictures per your recommendation. I was tempted earlier as well but in the back of my mind was your earlier post warnings.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
  3. Pineyrider

Oddometer:
    Yes, I removed them because of what Jack mentioned. I dont want any of us to have trouble due to my exuberance. I do appreciate the heads-up, sincerely.
    CaseyB and JerseyJeeper like this.
  4. Nir-ISR

Nir-ISR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @NJ-Bill - this is your thread, get one of your students to write a script that will do image processing to identify if it contains water, ask advrider.com to hook it with the image upload and block the upload if needed.
    The future is in automation!! and it will give Jack more time to plan the next adventure for us.
    Long live the nerds!!
  5. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even easier-- just edit/add to the thread title "No Trail Pictures In The Thread Please".
    Pineyrider likes this.
  6. ADVwanaB

ADVwanaB BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer:
    easier said than done Walt. This "post No Pics" has been going on since 2005 that i am aware of, and it wont stop. I can almost guarantee within the next 20 posts here there will be at least one more pic.
  7. decafe

decafe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might try to get out Sunday if weather looks good
    Pineyrider likes this.
  8. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Walter clearly suggested "No Trail Pictures". That would take care of Jack's concerns. Legal main roads should not be a problem as long as there is no water crossing involved. But that's just my opinion, and my father used to call me a moron all the time! :-)
    How is anyone going to show off their new dirt bikes if we don't allow legal pictures not on "trails"?:hmmmmm
    p.s., I had a nice picture in front of the Village Donut, but was afraid to win Gary's lottery!
    :hide
    ADVwanaB likes this.
  9. ebbanflood

ebbanflood Riff Raff Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rather than control the ones that are a problem, we will ban all of them.....why does that sound vaguely familiar?
  10. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Exactly! How do we promote safe, legal enjoyment of the Pine Barrens for the non-racing dual sport folks without pictures? Perhaps we should switch to an audio blog format. Go back to radio.
    For instance, this picture could not in any way be used by the environmentalists, unless they think that donuts are "endangered":
    IMG_0098.JPG

So, Gary, do i win the moron award for today?:-)
    Pineyrider and ADVwanaB like this.
  11. SloRonStinkypants

SloRonStinkypants Without nipples Tits are pointless.

Oddometer:
    Yes but only because you bought an AT.
    LOL!
  12. SloRonStinkypants

SloRonStinkypants Without nipples Tits are pointless.

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be up there a few times this summer.. not going to have time to take pictures..

Gonna be enjoying the ride!
    20190316_132456.jpg
  13. StannisBaratheon

StannisBaratheon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Weather looks good for Sunday @decafe what time were you thinking of starting?
  14. tootallpines

tootallpines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another great day out there yesterday. Not much water on the west side of Wharton....in the Goshen area between 206 and 30.
    That was yesterday....I’m sure all this rain is filling it all back up. Also, a lot of controlled burning
    Sky2adam likes this.
  15. USMC_Engineer

USMC_Engineer E-A-G-L-E-S

Oddometer:
    Can someone better explain the no pictures “rule” to me?

I’ve only been to the pine barrens a couple times with my truck (since sold) and few times with my bike (don’t have my knobby 805’s anymore, as am running 705’s currently) so prob won’t be back for a while..

But the water puddles are all over on the legal and mapped (plated and insured) roads, as we know some are very deep! How can someone on a bike / truck / Jeep get anywhere in the Barrens without going through a puddle or 10 or 100.? It’s impossible!

And how is taking a pic pre / during / post puddle on a Legal road wrong?

Or am I looking at this all wrong? Do you guys and the OP mean bushwacking and doing illegal shit blasting through creeks n stuff off the legal roads and taking pics? That would be very dumb and is totally wrong and should not be done.

Enlighten me pls, And don’t say just read the thread because I have been loosely following it but I’m not aware of all the controversy down there so I’m asking for insite.
  16. BigBluKlr

BigBluKlr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a bit new to the game but it's my understanding that there are conservation groups that do not favor motorized vehicles in the Pine lands. The areas should be for hiking, bird watching, hunting, etc types of activities. That the motorized vehicles destroy the nature aspect of the forests. That these groups exploit these types of photos being discussed (out of context being that they typically are on Legal roads) to impress upon the public and legislators that the wet lands are being destroyed and therefore should be banned.
    rotorhead511 likes this.
  17. ahollow

ahollow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI, the Curly Fern Enduro scheduled for this Sunday in Wharton and surrounding areas has been postponed due to the excessive water on the roads and event approved course. It will be rescheduled later this season.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
  18. ADVwanaB

ADVwanaB BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer:
    2 Enduros in a row have been effected so far this year, one relocated and the next one cancelled. Lets see how many more get knocked down for permits.
    Doc. you didn't win the lottery cuz your pic wasn't even in the pine barons :)

I have heard rumors that the Hammer run will not come to fruition this year and i have heard that the PB 500 will not be an event this year as well. I'm not sure about the truth to these rumors however, this sport of ADV and Dual Sporting has grown exponentially in the past 10 years and that's why there is so much attention. you say the few ruin it for the mass and that is so true. there was a time that nobody cared because there were only a few. since the Internet made it so easy to access places to ride folks from all over now come to the pines to ride. The events bring more folks to ride, the Jeeps bring more folks to ride. Everyone who has any off road interest can now access information at their fingertips of where to ride. Anything done that the majority of folks are against will be shut down. RACEWAY PARK in Englishtown NJ is a perfect example. it was there for 50 years and nobody cared. People started buying houses in the area knowing well and good that the track was there in ear shot. Years later they decided it was time for the racetrack to go and started to complain about a noise issue that was there many years before they moved in. Majority rules and Raceway Park is done. The same thing will happen to the riding areas in NJ. it will only be a matter of time. Enjoy the forum, this will also be my last post.
    docgonzo and Nir-ISR like this.
  19. MuckSavage

MuckSavage A Piney Irregular

Oddometer:
    Well put ADV wannaB. Sadly, we are in a fight for our recreational lives. Sadly, the PPA will name it "wreck-reational".
  20. Pineyrider

Oddometer:
    From what I have been told, our opposition/detractors will use the photos out of context and claim they are pictures of us defiling wetlands or restricted areas. I could see the argument, that's why i removed the pics. the whole situation flat out sucks. I think even if we were the biggest contributors, proponents,worker bees of a preservation movement for the pine barrens, we would still get crapped on. Keith
    StanBo likes this.