Pine Barrens rides (read rules before posting)

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by NJ-Bill, Mar 15, 2016.

1. designo

designo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guess I'll enjoy it while I can. I can always drive 2 hours to FRO , but the PB is a lot closer.

Speaking of which, I'm wondering if the PB will still be puddle after puddle Sunday (supposed to be 60 degrees). Will it be worth the hour drive? If anyone is out there tomorrow, please report back.
  2. rkdwp

rkdwp Axel Anderson Supporter

Oddometer:
    there were puddles but conditions were pretty good today. tomorrow should be a nice day to ride.
  3. designo

designo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode for about 3+ hours today; it was so good to get out on the bike again. Yea, surprisingly not too wet out there. Plenty of Harleys on the roads. Even a gathering of Pagans at the Pic-A-lilli Inn.
  4. SloRonStinkypants

SloRonStinkypants Without nipples Tits are pointless.

Oddometer:
    PAGANS?

you guys are devil worshipers too.

"The Jersey Devil"..

I got a sticker..
    tootallpines likes this.
  5. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I was out with the kids in the Jeep and I'll second that. There were some puddles here and there but it was much drier than I'd expected. Largely the sand was packed and smooth.
  6. JerseyJeeper

JerseyJeeper Pine Dog

Oddometer:

We went through that spot today where we saw you guys last time... it's ugly, deep, trees down across it. Bad.. if you're back this way don't even try it.
    dstutz likes this.
  7. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    What, no pictures? :imaposer
  8. BigBluKlr

BigBluKlr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The deeper puddles are still there on the south side (Between Atco and Atsion) but I guess I'm feeling a little less intimidated (repetition helps). I thought the sand was drier. I did venture over to the North side for a few miles and got bitten by a sand snake. I guess when ski season ends the snow snakes morph into sand snakes.
    Pushing Buttons are we????
  9. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just "testing the waters" so to speak.
  10. Pineyrider

Pineyrider back into woods riding after 20 years

Oddometer:
    Had a great day yesterday, rode with two friends, trails were just perfect, puddles to bomb if wanted, nice temp. Bike rode great on new d606s. Looking forward to some cogent suspension goodies and a great season.
    StanBo and dstutz like this.
  11. Nir-ISR

Nir-ISR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "A picture is worth a thousand words", Scott, without a picture you need 992 more words to describe the it!!
    We're going to have long posts now.
    JerseyJeeper, Sky2adam and dstutz like this.
  12. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    Thanks you guys for trying to understand. This is from the ECEA (East Coast Enduro Assoc) Facebook page administrator.

Beware people, the Nature Nazis are not going away. This A-HOLE just tried to join our group. For those who don't know him, he is the guy that takes pictures after an event, and supplies the PPA with ammo. He is the guy that takes images from social media and websites of events that are not even from our area and pretends that it is local. This is the guy that scans social media for helmet cams and videos that are posted to use them against us. He is the enemy. There are many more like him, and we can be sure that they already have moles in our organization. We can not let our guard down, not even for a minute. Perfect example, this weekend was supposed to be an enduro. The local forest superintendent manufactured some BS that the trails are impassible from the rain. Really? Those firecuts are all SAND. Where do you think the water goes? The point here is that even when things are quiet, the anti-everything groups are fighting against us. We have been lucky that they have been busy fighting the pipeline project. Well, that project is now dead. We all need to do our part, and we need to do it NOW

al horner-1.jpg
  13. BigBluKlr

BigBluKlr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I try and drill into my kid's heads "The Internet is NOT Free" there can be a big price to pay for not being responsible with what gets posted.
    Thanks for the heads up
    Nir-ISR likes this.
  14. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    I had trouble yesterday getting back to Atsion from Washington on Quaker Bridge Washington Road. Downed trees and some water that was "difficult". Broke my rule of never riding with the big twin without two other youngsters with me. Almost got stuck. Would have been a long walk out. Finally laid the bike down on the berm, then was able to lift the front tire to the side of the obstruction. Then I walked it out. I think this is the approximate location, on a perfectly legal named and GPS'd road:
    deeppuddles.png

I ended up going back to Washington Turnpike and going the long way around Batso.
    Was a beautiful day to ride around in the 100 Acre Wood!

p.s., Jack, is this OK? If not, I will delete the post.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
  15. algunn

algunn Adventuring in NJ

Oddometer:
    Screen_Shot_2015-08-03_at_10.32.15_AM.0.0.1438594388.0.jpg
    Still some really deep water out there
  16. MichalKub

MichalKub Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice try Al, but that water is too blue to be from the pine barrens.
  17. racermx66

racermx66 Suzuki

Oddometer:
    The Sierra Club is going to use that pic to say that dirt bikes are the real cause of beach erosion.
    Whiskey Tango likes this.
  18. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango 1*

Oddometer:
    Anything with an internal combustion engine is evil and life is the leading cause of death!
  19. JerseyJeeper

JerseyJeeper Pine Dog

Oddometer:
    What will posting pictures hurt?

Many of you guys may remember the grass roots "pine barons cleanup" Jeep ralleys from years ago. It was run by the local Jeepers. It was always held in Wharton. At Atsion about 200 of us would gather up in our Jeeps, many with trailers every October. We would cleanup Wharton of all the crap dumped, at least as much as we could. We would completely fill the 4 "30 yard" dumpsters that the state would pay to have delivered to the lot up the road across from the lake. I helped run that most years, if not running it I would still donate time to cleanup the forest. I even had the the editor from Peterson's four wheel and off road and JP magazine out there pitching in.

Well it ain't no more. The state stopped buying the roll-off dumpsters. Why? The doo gooders kept complaining to Trenton that Jeeps were invading the forest whenever we ran the cleanup.

They kept pulling pictures off of my website (jerseydevil.com, now closed up) of Jeeps going through puddles and used them against us. Eventually the doo gooders, all of about 5 of them won. The state no longer sanctioned the pine barrens cleanup. But they did give me a forest stewardship certifucate (and a lunch bag!)... errr and thanked me and said sorry but higher-ups said pull the plug. The local people understood it was all bullshit. So the largest recurring grass roots cleanup of state forrests in nj came to an end.

In the beginning I monitored my forum asking people to take down their pictures, then it moved to taking their pictures down for them, then banning them (friends and that sucked), trying to protect the sport. The worst part was I knew the pics were mostly taken on legit roads, but it didn't matter, it was ammo for the opposition.

End of day I couldn't do it anymore. There was no way to be right, so in order to "protect the sport" I shut down JerseyDevil.com, a very popular Jeep & 4x4 forum site in its hey day. That shut down hit me hard. That forum was like home. But there is just no way to have a "public forum" where you can post pics when it relates to matters like this.

Things continued to decline and being a jeeper in the pines was not the fun it used to be (with all the drama) so I parked the Jeep and bought a husqvarna.. and now here we freakin go again...! Same shit.

I was thinking of re-launching jerseydevil.com for us local pinedogs as a private "invite only" local forum (read as in regular local rider, not as in having to live local). Something like: At least 3 people had to ride with someone and vouch for them for the new guy to get a log-in, but I'm not sure even that would protect the sport from posting pics of bikes crossing a puddle on a legal dirt road. Frankly I think the doo gooders will ruin everything they can to get their way "only they are allowed the use" of OUR public lands.

In short Jacks right, been there done that, pics will ruin it for us.
  20. MuckSavage

MuckSavage A Piney Irregular

Oddometer:
    I was a member of jerseydevil & participated in the cleanups. Thanks for your hard work thru the years.
    StanBo and JerseyJeeper like this.