Pine Barrens rides (read rules before posting)

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by NJ-Bill, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    That's funny because the kids and I ran from Batsto on Washington Tpke up to Godfrey Bridge, then back tracked up to Hawkins bridge, and finally out to Carranza in the Jeep (late Sunday) and ran into only a little water and no downed trees on the road. But I guess one turn could make the difference.
  2. JerseyJeeper

JerseyJeeper Pine Dog

Oddometer:
    Doc hit it on the head. He's lucky he got out. It took a couple of us in water to the knees to get through and it was a legit road and we were dead center on it. Once we got through two other vehicles were buried in puddles about a thousand feet up heading in the opposite direction, stuck cold. Luckily there were Jeeps with winches coming up behind them. I was gonna notify the rangers as soon as we got back to Atsion as it was getting late. I wasn't worried about them getting in trouble because they were literally on a fairly main sand highway.
  3. olegbabich

olegbabich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All this talk about no photos is silly.

Joe Shmoe parks his Road Legal Dual Sport Bike in front of a puddle and takes a photo. 1 bike in front of 1 puddle and people ask him to please remove it.

Every fall there are dozens of photos of many many bikes in this forum of Pine Barrens 500.

Riders are going through puddles and roosting the deep sand sections and everybody is talking about how many people there were and how much fun it was.
  4. ebbanflood

ebbanflood Riff Raff Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of all the unscrupulous things the tree huggers have done to prevent a group of responsible riders from traveling on legal roads.........dividing this group and pitting us against each other will be their crowning achievement. Don't let that happen.
  5. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    That's why there will be no more PB500.

You just don't understand the issue. And no matter how many times people like me or Scott try to explain it , you and others still don't get it. Or disagree.

Thats why we give up, shut down web sites or events. After years of trying to educate people, we realize we can't stop it.

My take away from it all is peoples ego's are more important then keeping the event running.
    No matter how many times you ask that they behave a certain way, some riders choose to disregard the request, so they can show their facebook and social media friends how great they are.
    It doesn't matter if the event gets shut down, they got the "LIKE".

Jack
  6. BigBluKlr

BigBluKlr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is sad. As a new rider I was hoping to use the PB500 as a gauge this year. It has to be frustrating to deal with the authorities who tend to knee jerk react to public pressure with no warning and minimal long term plan. Then on top of that, have to take something you've grown, been invested in and feel it just not worth it any more and shut it down. I'm sure the work you and your associates have done in the past have contributed to some of riding privileges we have today. Though I have a bad feeling that there could start to be an erosion of the riding privileges we have today.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
  7. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    As my mother used to say, "This is why we can't have nice things"! : )
    Rusty Rocket, JerseyJeeper and ssor17 like this.
  8. StanBo

StanBo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @JerseyJeeper thanks for hosting those cleanups. I was just mentioning it to @Pineyrider when we were out Sunday in the woods. I was one of the guys with trailer in tow pulling out garbage and junk (shoot I remember cleaning up what looked like a full bathroom worth of trash). Trying to explain why we weren't going to post any pictures and not share links to people we don't know.

@ebbanflood great point bro!

It is a shame though.

I grew up in the City and without places and people like you I wouldn't be having the fun I do out in the woods on my bike and once upon a time my Jeep.

Not all of the City folk want to ruin everything but there should be a vetting or earning of routes. If anything a new rider can figure their own stuff out by doing the leg work.

We all have to be Ambassadors and show that we are not just a bunch of horrible people.

-Stanley
    JerseyJeeper and tootallpines like this.
  9. ebbanflood

Oddometer:
    No Jack, I appreciate everything that you guys do and are 100 percent on board with no pictures or anything else that takes away from what you all have been working on for years. Personally I will do better at understanding what you are dealing with. I am on board with you...totally.
    JerseyJeeper and tootallpines like this.
  10. tootallpines

tootallpines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there really no PB500 this year...?
    Tell me that’s not true
  11. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:

What you may not know, is every year, at every riders meeting and info emailed ahead of time to the riders, I ask, "PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES OF BIKES IN WATER!

And your post sums it up... Every fall there are dozens of photos of many many bikes in this forum of Pine Barrens 500.

No matter how often, no matter how dire I say the stakes are, a handful of riders post pictures anyway.

I see them and PM the riders, "Did you attend the riders meeting? Did you hear what I said?
    Some say "Sorry, I'll take it down" others say "F You" !

I'm serious. Thats what I get.

Jack
  12. JerseyJeeper

JerseyJeeper Pine Dog

Oddometer:
    Here's a bit of info for those of us that park at Atsion every weekend.

I was approached by a conservation officer who was checking a riders paper Sunday @ 10AM (very nice guy by the way) who said you are not supposed to park here, that sign says horse trailer parking. He walked up on me as I was backing in. He was walking away from others. I said, ok (NP), but what happened!?

Apparently two riders got into it with some horse trailer people over parking and the cops were called on the previous weekend. (please be nice to the horse people but I wasn't there and have no idea what the whole story was). I can say that there was no room really for horse trailers this past Sunday.. FULL House with bikes.

I made mention that the grounds keeper was OK with us parking there and did not want us on his grass up front. Officer said OK, this time park, but no next time.

Anyway he was nice, I was respectful. Some hikers come by lost, looking for a trail and I get them a map out of the jeep. We talk a bit, officer joins in and some others walk up and tell him the same thing, that the grounds guy says park back there. One guy goes "it doesn't say "Horse trailers only though!" that wasn't going to help anything (but i'm sure we all felt as though "what are we red headed step children")..? Yes we pay taxes too. But Officer gets it and decides to reason through it when he could have just said.. X.

End of story he gets on the radio comes back and says OK park here until you hear otherwise, that they and the park service grounds people will work on communications and try to set a place set aside for us, probably up in front of the horse trailer sign.

More to come, maybe? maybe it goes to sleep if there are no more confrontations? BTW He was checking the papers on a bike with no plate but the rider had the plate on his hydration pack, all went well there.

I really need to park at Atsion. I hope all goes well.

And the saga of trying to ride NJ continues.
  13. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Park at the Caranza Memorial. :D
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
  14. JerseyJeeper

JerseyJeeper Pine Dog

Oddometer:
    I would but the guy I ride with lives by Atsion and age befor beauty! lol he's banned now and can't talk back :)

Seriously Caranza is an option but It's kind of secluded and I just had stuff stolen off the trailer so it's a little sketchier.
  15. enormiss

enormiss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wassup Scott, I'm an old head JD4x4 from way back. Good to hear you are still around!
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
  16. JerseyJeeper

JerseyJeeper Pine Dog

Oddometer:
    Hey Pal! How ya been, great to hear from you! PM me if you're out riding. It would be great to see you, maybe a beer at the pic?
  17. JerseyJeeper

JerseyJeeper Pine Dog

Oddometer:
    Yea it seems intensional. They could have linked a toys for tots ride, or a "for the veterans ride" but they choose to put bikers in a bad light with a bike life mob ride.. I hope the woman the rider and the track make it through this sad situation without serious harm.
  18. algunn

algunn Adventuring in NJ

Oddometer:
    I love the woman who says "this is their livelihood". WTF? Then she says there's a great park downtown perfect for ATVs. Priceless.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
  19. ebbanflood

Oddometer:
    Anyone up for big bike ride tomorrow?
  20. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pic-A-Lili is an option too.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.