Pine Barrens rides (read rules before posting)

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by NJ-Bill, Mar 15, 2016.

1. SloRonStinkypants

SloRonStinkypants Without nipples Tits are pointless.

Oddometer:
    It's so much "beta" than a Honda.
  2. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the newbs out there...just cause it's on a GPS doesn't mean it's a legal road. The Batona Trail, for instance, shows up on mine and that is 100% not legal to ride: "The Batona Trail is designed for hiking, cross country skiing, and snow shoeing (weather permitting)" So not even horse people/bikes are supposed to be on that one. What sort of sucks/is somewhat confusing is that trail in particular does share the road in a lot of places.
  3. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    I should have been clearer. My GPS, with topo maps, will re-route on named roads. It doesn’t go on single track. Also, the Batona trail and other hiking trails are marked “no motorized vehicles".
    But yes, as you know, you can’t always trust your GPS. If it tells you to make a right turn into a lake, don’t!:-)
  4. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    StannisBaratheon likes this.
  5. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. BigBluKlr

BigBluKlr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wait you can't trust the GPS!!!
    Buzz kill
    Next you guys are going to tell me not to believe everything on the Interweb
  7. JerseyJeeper

JerseyJeeper Pine Dog

Oddometer:
    This news alert just popped up. It's all I can find on it.

upload_2019-4-4_16-3-49.png
  8. JerseyJeeper

JerseyJeeper Pine Dog

Oddometer:
    Found this:
    upload_2019-4-4_16-6-43.png
  9. JerseyJeeper

JerseyJeeper Pine Dog

Oddometer:
  10. tootallpines

tootallpines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great day in the woods yesterday. Very little water but I’m sure today will change that. Atco to Ship Bottom with very little slab, hardly smelt any smoke from the fires.

Met a guy who wanted to ride a bit together, he was a good rider, but told me he was banned from the forums for “some racist sh*t” as he put it...he then proceeded to tell me his racist views. Yup, racist.
    That’s all
    Have a good day everyone
  11. BigBluKlr

Oddometer:
    I was going to post if there was a woodsy way to get from Atco to the shore (Bridge on 72) and here you are. I have been looking at various maps and I can see many off road roads that eventually dump you out in Manahawkin. How long did it take you?
  12. tootallpines

tootallpines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe 2.5 hours there..I was sight seeing. Racing the sun on the way home it took just about an hour. PM me if you want more details
  13. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    So, we’re planning our first day trip to the Pine Barrens this Saturday 4/13. I’m about 2 hours away so we’re going to trailer the bikes.

Is there a good place we can leave the truck & trailer just for the day?

Also, any suggestions on where to ride?

Thanks!
  14. designo

designo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I always park at the Atsion Ranger station: http://tinyurl.com/y6mzxgqp Plenty of EZ parking and access to trails. If you have an iPhone, use Pocket Earth. It has a good map of many of the trails. Here's a map of our ride 4 hour 50 mile ride Sunday: http://tinyurl.com/y22hokb5
  15. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    Yes, Atsion is the most popular and probably safest place to park a pick-up or trailer, and a great entry spot for the Pine Barrens.

One of the tricks I use to safely and legally ride around in the Pine Barrens is to plug in a number of landmark waypoints into my GPS before heading down there. Like Apple Pie Hill, or Lucilles, or Pakim Pond, or the WAWA in Whiting. Then, I set my GPS or smartphone on "motorcycle" routing, and let the device lead me around. If I don't like the road I'm on, then I go another way, and the GPS re-routes.
    If you have a decent GPS unit like a Montana 610, it will record your current track for you, and be able to "track-back" to your starting point if you get lost.
    If your GPS tries to take you on a single track, don't. Leave that for the organized events with the permits. We have to keep the "greenies" happy!:-)
    rkdwp, jack splash and MuckSavage like this.
  16. BigBluKlr

Oddometer:
    You can download a pdf map of motorized roads
    Search Warton state forest motorized access plan
    I know it's old school tech (paper maps) but I'm old
  17. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    The "motorized action plan" (MAP) was a proposal. "Last summer [2015], the DEP announced a new Motorized Access Plan (MAP) for Wharton that included closing about half of the park’s 500 miles of roads and firebreaks to motor vehicles, in order to protect the park’s 122,800 acres of Pinelands spanning three counties."

View the MAP map (heh): https://www.njparksandforests.org/parks/maps/wsf_motorized_access_plan.pdf

Except, the MAP was never approved.
    "That plan ran into serious pushback from people who drive street-legal, four-wheel-drive cars, trucks and motorcycles on roads and firebreaks in the park. All-terrain vehicles and nonregistered vehicles such as dirt bikes have always been illegal there.

The plan also was met with opposition from hunters, kayakers and horseback riders who use vehicles to access remote areas.

The roads have been used by locals since before the park existed, they said, and proper maintenance would solve many problems. They also said it was unfair to punish everyone for the bad actions of a few, and suggested the state could end damage by stepping up enforcement."

If you use the MAP and stick to things that it says are legal, you know you're legal. But there's a lot of stuff that it says are illegal that are legal (and going off blazing trails on your own or riding single-track is almost always illegal).

Dunno if it's possible, but if would be nice to put some info in the first few posts (if the OPs are still active) to provide some FAQ-type info to new people that are looking to ride such as parking places, good (legal) areas to ride, etc.
    rkdwp likes this.
  18. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    Was a nice day today to ride around the parks. Val joined me and we started at Assunpink, then wandered down through Collier's Mills, then across some of the nicest farm country in Central NJ to Carranza. From Carranza, did some Wharton, down to Batso and back up North.
    All legal. Got to see some of the burned-out areas (lots on both sides of Washington Turnpike). Amazing how the taller pines survive and flourish. Hard to kill a Piney!:-)
    For pictures, check out the NY Metro thread!
    rkdwp and PullingG's like this.
  19. Montewest

Montewest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jack's right, not only does it provide fodder for the tree huggers, it lets everyone else know where you are.
    Then they come down and add to the problem. The woods are getting more crowded every year.
    Keep your riding private.
    tootallpines and JerseyJeeper like this.
  20. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    "Adventure Rider" is a forum for promoting safe, legal riding off-road. I don't think there is anything wrong with promoting safe, legal riding in the Pine Barrens. We all lament the closing of motorcycle dealerships and the continued bad press about riding motorcycles in general. Legal Adventure riding, and sanctioned, permitted enduro racing and Hare Scrambling are good for the sport. "Keeping it private" allows the bad guys to get all the press.
    I love the Pine Barrens. I love riding safely around the 100 acre wood. I like getting others excited about doing this stuff.
    I understand Jack's concerns about the water crossing and mud puddle photos. But the photos of Washington Turnpike or any of the legal car/jeep roads should not be a problem.
    And I don't see the "crowds". If I bump into one or two other dual sport riders in a three hour ride, it's notable. Rangers are as rare as foxes, and the rangers always seem nice to the legal riders.
    IMG_0997.JPG
    p.s., for the fox lovers, this was from the Rutgers Golf course last week, not the Pine Barrens!:-)