1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Pine Barrens rides (read rules before posting)

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by NJ-Bill, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Nir-ISR

Nir-ISR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First, I would like to share this video from eveRide:

We all agree that we don't want to take any risk here that might take away the privilege of riding.
    But, I want to raise the other side.
    Up till 20 years ago, I've been riding dual sport in a country that I consider a dual sport heaven (Israel), great all year round weather, endless opportunities to ride in all types of terrains and all in max 1.5 hours ride/drive away.
    Multiple relocations, family, job, etc. put that to an end.
    A few years ago I relocated with my family to NJ, first thing I asked was about off road possibilities in NJ and I was told there are practically none.

About two years ago I found eveRide's channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBn8MR2Gyc_Ee50y_4ECfaQ
    and I felt that itch again!
    But what made the real difference is this forum and specifically this thread!
    I learned that there is an option to legally ride not far from my home.
    I contacted @NJ-Bill who helped me in the process of buying a motorcycle, join rides in PB, help me with replacing the steering bearing and meet amazing people (list is too long, but thank you all!!).

So, while eveRide gave me hope, this thread and @NJ-Bill made it a reality.
    Without this forum I would probably be still itching.

As @docgonzo wrote:

As long as we're talking about the legal stuff which is open to every street legal vehicle and with some additional restrictions like no water crossing pictures, etc. I believe we're all responsible grownups here and can conform to the rules. For the rare cases of people not reading the **rules, we have plenty of moderator here that can explain.
    ** yes, we need to post the rules and maybe change the thread name from "Pine Barrens rides (no pictures)" to "Pine Barrens rides (read the rules)".

I just came back from India, they have a lot of gods there, I think @jack splash should be one of them!
    @jack splash is promoting adventure riding in the PB in a responsible way, all the rest of us simply need to be responsible!
  2. JerseyJeeper

JerseyJeeper Pine Dog

Oddometer:
    @nir "Pine Barrens rides (read the rules)" +1

I was wondering where you've been. I rode the TE300i yesterday and the 701 today. The dirt was great. Just damp enough! :) I was hoping to run into you.
  3. Nir-ISR

Nir-ISR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, been in India, did a lot of exercise! A lot of running from the meeting room to the toilets (or as they call it, washroom).
    Bought Matka Kulfi the first day, the rest of the visit was quite 'fluid' .
    Wednesday have another flight, so I'll see you in May.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
  4. JerseyJeeper

JerseyJeeper Pine Dog

Oddometer:
    Lol... stay safe my friend. I'll keep some tracks clear for you.
    Nir-ISR likes this.
  5. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Anyone interested in a hooky/retiree ride tomorrow (Wednesday) with the little bikes?
    I was thinking about starting at the WAWA in Whiting at 10. Let me know if anyone else is interested so I can look out for you.
    Kinder and gentler. All legal tree-hugger-friendly roads. Pictures only of nice legal landmarks.:-)
    Maybe do the bogs around Whitesbog, or South and East towards Lucilles to see what the fire damage looks like in Penn State.
  6. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    We had a very nice kinder and gentler ride around cranberry bogs of Whitesbog, as well as some BB and Wharton.
    Beautiful day, 60 degree high, no bugs, and great company from Al and Jim. The 25 horsepower on my Honda was plenty for the 25 mph average!:-)
    Here's an innocuous photo of the legal road past one of the bog areas:
    IMG_1022.JPG
    PullingG's, rkdwp and JerseyJeeper like this.
  7. rkdwp

rkdwp Axel Anderson Supporter

Oddometer:
    is there a safe and legal place to park a vehicle near or in Brendan Byrne? I typically just ride down so this isn’t an issue but will be coming down with a vehicle this weekend. I’ve parked at Atison but I’m wondering if there’s a good spot further north?
  8. tootallpines

tootallpines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome day out there today. Some water but still pretty dry. Sands seems to be warming up and getting a little more “fun”
    The big XR loves it. Can’t believe I only saw two other riders out. I did see a bunch of hikers and people fishing. I slowed way down, like a “no wake zone”, and we all waved and smiled, gave some thumb ups and everyone was pretty happy. A real coexistence out there.
    It’s cool to share the forest. Ride safe
  9. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    We had the same experience in the bogs near Whitesbog Village. We slowed down nicely for a number of dog-walkers, who smiled and waved at us. "What a beautiful day" was yelled back and forth as we passed. Nice to share some of the most picturesque areas of New Jersey with others. Sweet!
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
  10. trek686

trek686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I park at Pakim Pond. Never had an issue.
    rkdwp likes this.
  11. Jersey Lou

Jersey Lou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like it’s going to be a good day Thursday. Is anyone else going to be around Wharton? My big bike is a drz, but I can blend. Let me know if I can tag along.
    Thanks
  12. mda185

mda185 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lou, you know me from riding with Eric at FRO. I'm the one that was teaching my daughter to ride. I am interested in riding but not real familiar with where to go yet. I live about 45 minutes from Chatsworth near Trenton, NJ. I would probably ride my DR. If I bring a friend and load bikes in my truck, I will ride my KTM and buddy will ride the DR. If it does not work out tomorrow, I am interested in getting out soon while the weather is still mild.
  13. mda185

mda185 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lou, if you don't find someone experienced to tag along with, and are going to ride regardless, I will repeat advice an inmate here gave me last year. Park at Atsion and start riding Quakerbridge Road down towards Wharton and explore side roads that connect to it. If Wharton is a better staring point for you, maybe there is a good place to park near Quakerbridge Road down there and you do the reverse. I don't have a map to look at right now and don't know if this advice is solid. I am taking my girl down there in about 2 weeks and I will start at Atsion as suggested and do some low speed exploring.
  14. hodaka125

hodaka125 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can at Atsion ranger station
  15. hodaka125

hodaka125 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Park at the ranger station just not where the horse trailer park
  16. Jersey Lou

Jersey Lou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, what's up. Thanks for the response.
    I've ridden out of Atsion alot. I find my way around without to much of a problem. I get turned around sometimes, then I use my gps for position and my paper map for where I want to go. All that water has been more of an issue this year. I was looking to explore some other areas from Wharton, Like BB or ?
    Let me know. We'll catch up on your home field soon. Maybe Eric will come over too.
  17. Jersey Lou

Jersey Lou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks,
    That's what I usually do.
  18. Paulie1960

Paulie1960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I probably be at atsion 2pm be on a small 250 yamaha if it doesn't rain
  19. Jersey Lou

Jersey Lou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm be there early. I'll look for you, but l might be on my way out by then.
  20. Paulie1960

Paulie1960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem. There is always somebody riding out there I can hook up with