Pine Barrens rides (read rules before posting)

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by NJ-Bill, Mar 15, 2016.

1. rj95lss

rj95lss still searching...

Oddometer:
    So if you drive/ride through Wharton on the legal roads, you’re ok? Just don’t park in the lot(s) and/or go on the trails? Yeah?
    NJDualsporter likes this.
  2. Helo Driver

Helo Driver n00b

Oddometer:
    Maybe check the web site tomorrow as it does not take effect until 8:00 PM tonight. Confirmed it with some State employees.

Electronic signs along the highways are now saying all County and State Parks will be closed.
  3. jm19328

jm19328 2020 KTM 500 Exc

Oddometer:
    Thats crazy social distancing in the middle of the woods?
  4. rotorhead511

rotorhead511 Live and let live.

Oddometer:
    Liquor stores stay open but the government closes the woods. Bunch of asshats.
    RebelYell, rw4x4van and Kingpf like this.
  5. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:

Well if I had to pick just one...

... And yeah considering I was taking my family out there to literally isolate while getting some air I kinda get it.

I mean I've never seen Batsto so crowded as it was on Sunday. The roads around all the various entrances we're lined with cars. And though maybe they were all staying away from each other on the trails i could see bigger groups getting together in some areas with the weather so nice.

I dunno. Let's f'n hope this passes and passes "quickly".

I'm still bitter about all the pubs closing in Ireland two days before St Paddy's day and having to come home a week early.
  6. deliberate speed

deliberate speed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw this on twitter posted by NJDEP. Different than the one posted above. :(

IMG_1877.jpg
  7. Mr Slowski

Mr Slowski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are riding to get to your job or going to the liquor store I say go for it.
    rj95lss and rotorhead511 like this.
  8. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the problem, there's no chance this WILL be over quickly...unless this whole country was locked down and everyone stayed completely home for the ~2 week incubation period and it passed and didn't have a chance to infect anyone else that would be great but let's be honest, that's just not gonna happen in this country. But since people are still going to work and playing and what not....it's just gonna keep spreading around and around and around. Once things start to look a little better in a few places people are going to relax and then it's gonna flare up again...the weather getting nicer isn't helping. This is a rough situation and we're in it until they get everyone vaccinated or enough people survive to get that herd immunity.
    bemiiten, rkdwp and keepshoveling like this.
  9. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I hear ya, but even then there are so many unknowns or things we're not sure about from amount of transmission in the air to actual incubation period to the amount of asymtomatic transmission etc.

We're all flying blind here while trying to do our best to allow the transmission so it doesn't spread past resources (ICU beds, ventilators etc.).

I agree some people aren't taking it seriously enough (in our view), but there's a lot of gray area.

And that makes it the old George Carlin joke. Anyone going slower than you on the highway (being more careful than you) is a moron and anyone going faster than you (less careful) is an asshole.

I've watched my physician wife go from "hey let's keep our trip to Italy and Ireland in March to let's make it only Ireland to buying new tickets home a week early to stripping in tht garage and throwing her clothes in the washing machine on the way to the shower before she says hello".

It remains a fluid situation. And I better get out of bed to start my work before it gets interrupted half the day for homeschooling.

Though I understand the reasoning behind closing the parks there's a part of me that also sees the ridiculousness.

We're all flying blind or at least with one eye and no depth perception.

Stay well/ride safe
    sarcoid and Kingpf like this.
  10. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, there's so much of the..."well it's ok if I do it" mind-set out there.
  11. dblacknj

dblacknj Master of the Obvious

Oddometer:
    The WMA's are still open and alive! I live across the street from the WMA near Allaire State Park. Last year at this time the trails were maybe 8 inches wide, barely passible for all the greenbrier. Somebody put together a crew and now all the trails are 8-10 feet wide. The trails look like asphalt. I've spent 20 years hoping for a day I could take my KTM into the WMA. Always wanted to do an outlaw run, in the spirit of Lindsay Prairie, but it's not happening this month. (Is he still out there?) Way to many mtbs and hikers. Haven't seen a SXS yet, but it's only time.
  12. Mr Slowski

Mr Slowski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Due to social distancing herd immunity is impossible and pointless after the global economy was destroyed in order to stop the spread and save lives. For herd immunity hundreds of millions would die from this. No country is going to give up half way through after financially ruining itself. We are waiting for a vaccine now.
    Roaddogg likes this.
  13. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Aw, gee..... When I took epidemiology at Penn Med, it was clear that it was complex, with many variables. As hard as organic chemistry. To think that any of us "civilians" can understand it is wishful thinking.
    That being said, herd immunity isn't impossible, it's just delayed by social distancing until the medical facilities can beef up to handle the crisis. Without social distancing, the medical community will be overrun, as it was in Italy.
    By staying home except for essential trips, you are saving the lives of the EMTs, Paramedics, nurses, doctors and ancillary workers at the hospitals while they try to cope with the volume of ill.
    That's what "flattening of the curve" means. Social distancing is not pointless. You are saving lives by doing it, even if it's not your own life.
    ADVwanaB, XTfiltnib, bemiiten and 3 others like this.
  14. Mr Slowski

Mr Slowski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn’t mean to imply that it was pointless for the current situation. It is very important. I just have not seen many put social distancing and using test and trace and have herd immunity as the end goal unless they are talking vaccinations.
  15. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be safe everyone. Living is a prerequisite to riding.
  16. svr32

svr32 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ugh. It is true https://www.nj.gov/dep/newsrel/2020/20_0012.htm

We are not only socially distanced from other humans but trees now too. I get it though, I saw more people in large groups lining the roads all around Batsto village the last few weeks. Almost looked like the fall festival was going on. If they don't close all the parks that crowd will move from the village into the edges of the woods. Right or wrong I don't know but its the rules for now. Sadly, I still have to work everyday with 900+ people (essential business) but cant go in the woods where there are but a few. Never saw that coming. Right now I'll sacrifice in hopes things go back to normal in the next few months. Stay safe everyone !
    ADVwanaB likes this.
  17. rj95lss

rj95lss still searching...

Oddometer:
    IMG_5317.jpg

Drove by yesterday to this sign.
  18. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    I got thrown off of Ashbrook Golf course's cart path yesterday where I've been riding my mountain bike to get some exercise. No fine. The official was very nice, but said I had to leave. Broke my heart, but I understand, considering the crowds I've seen at the walking parks in my area. Here's a line from the mandate:

“This is not a decision that DEP makes lightly. We understand that New Jerseyans particularly need fresh air and exercise during this stressful time, but as the weather warms, our parks are becoming crowded and it is difficult in many places to observe the social distancing that is so critical to fighting the COVID-19 outbreak.”

Guess I'll have to make a loop on the roads around my house, looking for hand sanitizer....

Sure hope the labs get ahead of the curve with the testing for COVID-19 and the antibody test for immunity. We need to know who is safe to head back out into the work-place. The alternative is to let people back to work without this knowledge, and allow the weak and elderly to just die when they get sick, while the stronger of us ride out the illness till herd immunity sets in. Not a good alternative.

Again, remember that this social distancing is to help the hospitals and hospital workers cope with the volume of patients. We don't want the system overloaded like it was in Italy. There, they were running out of body bags.
    mentolio likes this.
  19. Crazybrian

Crazybrian Resident Moose

Oddometer:
    Trails maybe closed, but the roads aren't. And you can get exercise, which is an essential task.
  20. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I'm sitting here at the intersection in Batsto Rd and Washington Turnpike and have watched Jeeps, bikes, and forest service all come by. The roads are indeed open even if the parking lots and trails are closed. IMG_20200412_152148.jpg IMG_20200412_152201.jpg
    dstutz and rotorhead511 like this.