Pine Barrons 300

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nightstalker, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    An epic adventure awaits. 300 miles of nasty New Jersey sand, whoops, and water played host to twenty-some ADVRiders this past weekend. Many pictures were taken, many bikes were dropped, some left early in not quite the same condition that they had arrived...

Story and pictures to follow...
  2. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Crashman and I met up at the Mickey D's in Morgantown, PA on Friday night to head down to the Ramada Inn in Hammonton, NJ. We were treated to 100 miles of rain, traffic, and accidents.

We arrived at the hotel just after 9PM, cold and wet.
    [​IMG]

First things first, where do we get PIZZA??? Here at Brothers.
    [​IMG]

The goddess that brought us the pizza.
    [​IMG]

Our room. Could believe that Beavis and Butthead are still on TV!
    [​IMG]

EugeneOrange was supposed to meet us at the hotel. He finally showed up at 11:55 PM. Now that's a long day!
    [​IMG]

There was a wedding party going on in the SIX rooms aside of us. They asked us to join them in the celebration, but they were already mega hammered, and I didn't wan't to be there when the police showed up. They all finally went to bed around 5AM. WOW!
  3. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Saturday morning we're up early. Unload Eugene's bike from his truck, and run down the street for some gas and breakfast.

It's a chilly 30 miles to the start, in what used to be called the Lebanon State Forest.

Bikes at start.
    [​IMG]

Bike on trail.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bikes in water. Deep water. Filthy water. Smelly water. It would be the first of many.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. Red Stripe

Red Stripe Church of the High Desert

Oddometer:
    Any of those bikes stall?
  5. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    We were treated to lots of sandy roads and trails. And cranberry bogs.
    [​IMG]

This fella from North Carolina dropped his KTM 950 and was having problems getting it restarted.
    [​IMG]

If you look closely, you can see gas shooting out of the top of the carburators when the starter was engaged!
    [​IMG]

Since I towed Crashman out of the woods a few weeks back, he felt obligated to return the favor to a fellow KTM rider.
    [​IMG]

So we towed him out to the nearest blacktop intersection and called the support vehicle and left a message. Then, we took off! Here is his last known whereabouts.
    [​IMG]
  6. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    There were terrible, aweful, beasts to contend with! This one nearly took my leg.
    [​IMG]
  7. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Whoopdie trails.
    [​IMG]

Did I mention the fact that it rained for an entire week before the event in New Jersey? Crashman on that Triumph Tiger.
    [​IMG]

Here's Doug on his KLR 650. He didn't have a whole lot of off road experience under his belt, but it sure DIDN'T show!
    [​IMG]

Joe on his BMW 1200 GS. Money shot, wow!
    [​IMG]
  8. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    We got to this, puddle?, stream crossing?, lake?, I don't know, but it sure went on forever! The A group was ahead of us (the B group) and we could see their tracks heading into this wet wonder, but where did they come out? Could it be that this section of woods is included in the Bermuda Triangle and aliens had abducted the A group? We wouldn't find out for sure until later.
    [​IMG]

Doug, the team player that he is, volunteered to measure the depth scientifically. He's such a trail blazer!
    [​IMG]

Gregor, the fearless leader of B group, mounted aboard his KTM 950, had no fear of the dreaded water. This would eventually lead to a fatal mistake, he should have read his horoscope.
    [​IMG]

Doug, KLR 650.
    [​IMG]

Ed, BMW 650.
    [​IMG]

Mark, BMW 650 GS.
    [​IMG]

Crashman, Tiger.
    [​IMG]

Joe, BMW 1200 GS.
    [​IMG]
  9. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Mark had crashed his 650 GS real hard in this puddle, right in front of me!! He bent his gear shifter flat against his footpeg. He managed to bend it back into the correct position, but had no confidence that the repair wasn't temporary.
    [​IMG]

It wasn't long before we found ourselves at another stream crossing. It was deep, but it was short.
    Crashman.
    [​IMG]

Doug.
    [​IMG]

Hey, who's that guy?? I'm not sure.
    [​IMG]

Is this guy with us?
    [​IMG]

Mark's shifter had failed. There was a short delay before a solution presented itself. Hey, I've heard of guys riding all day with a vise grip as a gear shifter, let's give that a try.
    Mark crossing with his new shifter.
    [​IMG]

Joe, he really displaces some water with that 1200 GS.
    [​IMG]

Close up of Mark's new shifter.
    [​IMG]

And Mark.
    [​IMG]
  10. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    We had been through a lot already today and sure were hungry. How can you not stop at the Woodshed for some grub?
    [​IMG]

Our lovely waitress.
    [​IMG]

Gregor.
    [​IMG]

Doug.
    [​IMG]

Lunch was delicious!
  11. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    More water. We came up on these three guys running the dual sport on their own, on 2 KTM 640's and a KTM EXC enduro bike. They were just standing at the edge of this puddle, "What are you guys doing?", the Gregor asked. "We can't find a way around this puddle!", they replied. Gregor showed these boys the way through! As did the rest of us, one by one, some better than others...

Doug didn't quite make it all the way across on his first attempt.
    [​IMG]

Joe.
    [​IMG]

The guys did put on a good show for us, once we all reached the other side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    We would run into those three guys again soon enough. As our two rival groups approached the trail entrance from a sandy road, Gregor and I charged for the lead and beat those boys to the punch! We had gained a lot of confidence since lunch, boldly blasting through countless water crossings. However, our nemesis lay directly ahead. This puddle looked hardly any different than any of the many we had previously crossed. On a dirt bike, I would have expected to wheelie across the entire puddle. We didn't lift off the throttle one bit, hadn't given it a second thought. Unbeknownst to us, this peckerwood puddle had to be at least 30 inches deep! We were hauling ass, Gregor hit the water, it was slow motion, the red sea parted exposing the sea floor, Gregor's 950 went completely sideways and made a mad dash for the tree filled woods to our left. I thought for sure it was going to be an ugly scene. Well, I thought that for an instant before it was my turn to pass through that same puddle. I grabbed hard on the front and banged the rear brakes, little effect that has on a 500 pound bike off road. I had slowed enough and entered the ravine still in Gregor's wake to pass through in one piece. I ran to Gregor's aid, as did the rest of our group who had now caught up to us. Miraculously, Gregor suffered no apparent bodily injuries!! His 950 on the other hand had sprung a leak, a gas leak!! We turned off the between-the-tank petcocks and he made some quick repairs to his turn signals.

Gregor and the tree he hit, covered in KTM orange paint.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, the battery had drained down during the repairs (he left the ignition on) and the bike didn't have enough juice to restart. We pushed him down the trail a few times, trying to bump start it, but to no avail. There was a hunter and his pickup truck right there who gave us a jump. Jumping a KTM 950 is no easy task, especially with super rusty jumper cables.
    [​IMG]
  13. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Gregor headed back to New York City and the three of us remaining took off for the Ramada, the meeting place for this evening's activities.

It wasn't long before the A group pulled in, less than 10 minutes in fact. They did manage to cover a bit more ground that us, but we had extenuating circumstances.

FOOD was the order of business and as always a priority. A guy at the Ramada gave a recommendation and we followed it foolhardily. The West End Grill and Bar, in downtown Hammonton, NJ. Crashman.
    [​IMG]

EugeneOrange.
    [​IMG]

Cheeseburger with bbq sauce and bacon.
    [​IMG]

The ride director, Jack Splash.
    [​IMG]

The primerib special!
    [​IMG]

The Pine Barons 300 overnight crew.
    [​IMG]

Denise, our hottie waitress. She touched Ron, like two times!
    [​IMG]

The rest of the photos for day one I can't post here. What happens in Hammonton stays in Hammonton, that's what the Piney's say.

You all will have to wait until tomorrow night for the day two shots!
  14. crashman1400

crashman1400 Bullfrog dual-sport

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Jack, for an awesome, awesome weekend!!!!!!!!!!! This whole weekend was just tooooo much fun!!! Can't wait to get together and do it all over again!!!
  15. ducky950

ducky950 Gnarly Water Fowl

Oddometer:
    Damn,

So you guys went to the West End for dinner and beers? I rode past there twice that night too! The dweeb behind the desk at the hotel said he didn't know where you guys had gone.

Oh well.....
  16. Smithy

Smithy Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer:
    I am now glad I didn't take the Nighthawk up there. Sheesh.
  17. woodsrider

woodsrider .........................

Oddometer:
    Great pics and report!! Thanks for posting. I can't believe the deep, nasty water you guys rode the big bikes through (KTM 950, 1200GS, Tiger, etc.), although it looks like a bike or so perished along the way (the blue 950S).

Looks like fun, but I think I'd rather have been on my 450!
  18. deerslayR

deerslayR Spodely Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great shots dood!

Wish I coulda made it.

deerslayR
  19. rw4x4van

rw4x4van East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    Nightstalker

Great photo shoot.....and a "Big Thanks" for the test ride.

I'll "Party" with you anytime :D .........
  20. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    Hey: From the looks of all the pic's, one would think most of the trail was underwater, the truth is I only rember 2 or 3 deep long watercrossings, and most these puddles had go arounds. I think only one guy drowned out in the 275 miles. 80% of the route was perfect traction sand and gravel roads. I know that the extreme pic's look great, I just want to say that they were only a small fraction of the route.
    Thanks
    Jack