Pink Crocs in search of Lobsters

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by bESS, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Scooterchick

Scooterchick And then what?

Oddometer:
    Howdy bob,

Too bad you're going to have to fight all those dragonflies all by yourself, but I'll be right behind you cheering you on all the way.:lol3 :clap

Here's to bugs in your teeth! :slurp
  2. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Bob

Thanks for the photos, you work fast! Sasha is looking great! Angele and I miss her a lot. She is one of our best friends in Vancouver.

Don't worry about the Guys at MCL, they are only there on weekdays. I know how hard it is to get from the Coquitlam area to the West End in Vancouver traffic. Angele worked at that dealership, in the Service department for many years. Just having a nice photo of the dealership is great.

Dwight
  3. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pat:

thank you for your Dragonfly wishes. I only wished that you would lead the way and clear them out of my path

Hope to see you when you come back . . .

bob
  4. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Dwight:

No problem. I had a few hours free and it was just easier to go down there right away. We are not far from the city but it's the parking that is hard to find.

bob
  5. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's hard to say what to bring or what to leave and I am trying to carry less. It's not like I am going to be making gourmet meals on the road but I need to conserve costs and be able to heat up instant food and have a hot beverage or two

[​IMG]

so I am bringing my MSR Whisperlite with a small fuel canister. Initially filled with white gas but when empty I will just use pump gas

[​IMG]

I am also bringing a small backup alcohol stove. There is a reason for this but it is small and the stove and fuel can be carried inside of my Primus cookware. It is a Vargo titanium triad which is fuel efficient. I have not used it before so I did a quick water boiling test

[​IMG]

I made a small windscreen using scrap aluminum pieces and left over brass wire

[​IMG]

It is small and packs flat

I managed to fit all of this into half of my right sidecase

[​IMG]

along with some; instant coffee, instant oatmeal, instant soup and some emergency granola snack bars. I don't plan on cooking, only heating up water or heating prepared ready to eat food

I still managed to squeeze in more bulky stuff in the other half; such as my tripod and Alite Monarch camp chair

[​IMG]

My plan is to use the left sidecase to store my camera(s), chargers and cables and whatever room is left will be for clothes. I should not be far from civilization so I will be able to just buy what I need along the way

[​IMG]

I'm not leaving until next week so I have some time to "refine" my stuff
  6. Scooterchick

Oddometer:
    Hey Bob,

Looks like you're just about ready to go. I'll be following along..:clap

I'm lovin that little stove....:wink:
  7. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pat:

You should have a small stove in your emergency kit at home anyway. They sell these at MEC . Alcohol stoves are good for use in warmer temperatures.

Haven't you ever wanted to have a hot beverage while out on a ride ?

Leaving next week, wished you could tag along

bob
  8. Scooterchick

Oddometer:
    I do have a stove, but it is a two burner that we used on our camping trip. Not nearly the size of yours....:-). yours seems to be the size of a penny stove that I have heard about.
  9. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can’t remember a time when I have had a long vacation, especially by myself. I have others to consider so over the years I have been respectful of my vacation time and not to horde it all for myself. So I started off with a weekend and over the years it expanded to a few weekends and then last year I was up to 10 days on my trip to Hell’s Canyon, OR.

I am at an age where I should be turned out to pasture to enjoy my final days but I still work due to the economic meltdown of the past few years and I wonder when the day comes when I can be free, whether I will be physically able to undertake a journey of 6 weeks across the continent riding my motorcycle. So my plan is to do it now, while I am able.

[​IMG]
    checking out my tent

I read many RR’s where the OP goes to far away places and have to learn to speak foreign languages, experience breakdowns in the middle of nowhere and I admire them for their self sufficiency for they are truly adventurers in a strange land. By comparison, my adventure will just be a boring ride across the USA A challenge for me but a walk in the park for many of you.

[​IMG]

My route is sort of unplanned but I will be taking the Northern States route towards Chicago and then I-80 through PA Photography has been my hobby all my life and I can’t resist stopping at all scenic viewpoints along the way

Hope to see some of you on the road
  10. Scooterchick

Oddometer:
    :lurk waiting with baited breath.

I'm from Pennsylvania! So, it will be fun to see some pics from my home state. There is a lot of it that I have never seen before.
    :clap
  11. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:

"I read many RR’s where the OP goes to far away places and have to learn to speak foreign languages, experience breakdowns in the middle of nowhere and I admire them for their self sufficiency for they are truly adventurers in a strange land. By comparison, my adventure will just be a boring ride across the USA A challenge for me but a walk in the park for many of you."

Bob

I admire your humility. I don't think a solo ride across NA and back is a walk in the park. I think you will find Adventure at some point. It can happen when you least expect it. Case in point....I rode to Argentina, no flats, rode across NF last week, no flats....then took my wife for a ride to Bouctouche, NB less than half an hour from the house, had just cranked it on a entrance ramp leading to the higway and settled down to a steady 130k when ...Rear Flat, with Angele on the back. Yikes! Turned out to be a sheet metal screw. No drama, the bike never even wobbled. Lucky!

[​IMG]

We had been on my way to visit my buddy Steve....Steve to the rescue..(so much for self sufficiency) Steve has a nice little trailer for hauling bikes.

[​IMG]

It was much nicer repairing the flat in the shade of my garage rather than in 28C heat on the side of a busy highway. The tire irony of it all is. I had my patch kit and pump but no tire irons as I was still figuring out a way to carry them on the new bike.

Ride safe.

Kedgi
  12. csustewy

csustewy Motojero

Oddometer:
    That little alcohol stove looks sweet! Your fabbed windscreen looks like it will help a lot, too. How did the water boiling test go - it was clearly boiling, but did it take more alcohol than water, for either you or the stove?

+1 to what Kedgi said. Riding for 6 weeks and covering that much ground is most certainly a challenge, no matter what country you're in. Enjoy it!

Definitely not that noticeable, especially with those trademark travel shoes anywhere near it! The tool tube looks great and really is in a well hidden location. However, it looks mighty close to the rear wheel to me. I know that it passed a good bumpy road test, but what if you happen to ride straight over an unexpected pothole that really compresses the rear suspension? Do you have a rough vertical measurement from the tire to the tool tube, sort of a clearance dimension? That dim should be greater than or about equal to the total suspension travel less the sag of the bike resting on its own suspension (~1 inch). Alternatively, what if you mount it on the outside of those frame tubes, well above the passenger peg? I know it's more visible there, but maybe the saddlebag could be close enough to the cap to keep it closed unless the bag was off. Just some thoughts...

EDIT - I think so much about tool tube placement because I searched for a good spot on my Transalp, at first thinking that low on the bashplate was perfect. My eyeball assessment in the garage was apparently not very good - I failed the bumpy road test. Which happened to be in a parking lot with spectators, who were soon wondering why I was picking up a black piece of pipe and trying to tuck it into my pants and jacket (I didn't have any bags on at the time). Luckily nothing got damaged, not even the tube since it was just zip-tied in place, but I am generally against having things interfere with my wheels. Ok. Enough about that.

Most importantly, I'm very much looking forward to following your ride across the north! Good luck with the last few days of the shakedown.

Mike (& Jill)
  13. brunstei

brunstei Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Bob,

Looks like you're all set - hope the trip goes well, and I'll be following along!
  14. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pat:

Won't be long now. A few loose ends like; travel insurance, getting US funds, contacting credit card companies

I was recommended that stove from person who loves alcohol stoves. I bought it from MEC and I love the small size

I didn't know you were from PA. I wished Lawton was closer. I don't think I have time to go that far south

bob
  15. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dwight:

I am lucky to have tubeless tires so I can patch the tire without having to remove it, not that I have practiced but I think I can do it under battlefield conditions. I had Ride-on self sealant installed in my tires so I hope this does the job

If you had your patch kit with you, then nothing would have happened. That's what Murphy said

bob
  16. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike & Jill:

I'm honoured that you found my humble report. I followed you throughout your whole journey but didn't really comment much but you were the highlight of my mornings. and then you bumped into Radioman

I am loving that little Vargo Titanium stove but you have to be very careful, as you cannot see the flame, but you can feel the heat.

I'm going to take your advice and look at the tool tube placement again. I don't feel comfortable with it being that close to the wheel. I'm thinking now that I should make a small Black Tube to put extra $$ and spare set of keys and make it removable by only using tools

bob
  17. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

JB:

I still have a few days to sort out my packing. Things like chargers, cameras, laptop, external drive and whatever space left will be for clothes.

I did ride by a couple of weeks ago but now I know you were away on your trip

bob
  18. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Final weekend of packing my bike. Packing, unpacking, adding and deleting

[​IMG]

I had to make room for my rain jacket and bike cover so today I bought another 35L dry bag as I needed room for my Crocs© They don't compress very well

Leaving next Wednesday morning and I will update daily as long as I can find WiFi

[​IMG]

For the first 2 days I will slab it to MT as riding to places I have been before doesn't make sense. So I-90 to near Billings then south on 212 to Beartooth Pass. My bike stops at all viewpoints and scenic overlooks. From Cody I haven't thought that far ahead yet . . .
  19. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:
    Wow! Now those are some nice looking Crocs! There's something about that color that really catches your eye! The bike isn't bad either as well as the RR so thanks for that.......

Gary
  20. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gary:

thanks for following along. Excitement is building. Still planning to leave on Wednesday.

Had to attend a Celebration of Life on Saturday. This person was only 57 and had a heart attack. You can never plan for the future so you have to turn those plans and dreams into action NOW.

That's what I am doing. I'm trying to turn my boring, routine life, into a few weeks of adventure and self sufficiency. I want to see what's on the other side of those mountains, ride on a road so straight you can see to infinity. See the weather coming from 100 miles and watch the sun rise from out of the Ocean.

Flatistan, here I come . . .