Pink Crocs in search of Lobsters

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by bESS, Jun 27, 2013.

1. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike & Jill

I am so far behind. I have already been to Montreal for a weekend, then to Kingston for a few days and Toronto. Then I crossed back into the USA at Sarnia and rode a few days in Indiana

It is a pedal to the metal day today to try to get out of Nebraska

I will see if I can get internet later today

bob
  2. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JB:

it's nice to have extra time but my time is running out. I am nearly out of Iowa and into Nebraska. I am sadly behind. It was always the intention of updating daily but often I could not get onto the "net even though I had a good WiFi signal

bob
  3. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was difficult to ride on the decaying cobblestones of Old Montreal

[​IMG]

buildings are similar to those in Quebec City

[​IMG]

lots of tourists walking about

[​IMG]

you can also take a horse and carriage ride

[​IMG]

I was taken on a quick tour of Montreal. Here is the Olympic Stadium

[​IMG]

we are out all day and into the night. Here is a skyline shot of Montreal at night

[​IMG]

and imagine a 24 hour bagel factory

[​IMG]

thanks for following

bob
  4. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've gotten behind. mainly due to lack of internet and being off the grid for a few days

After Montreal I was invited to spend a day or so relaxing in the Toronto area and after I visited a few relatives in London, ON I decided to take the USA route back home to Vancouver and re-entered the USA through Sarnia

[​IMG]

this is the Blue Water Bridge and it costs $3.50 toll but you have no choice if you want to get to US customs

[​IMG]

here's the centre of the span

[​IMG]

and this is what you see at the front of the line

From there I travelled through Indiana and made it to Chicago before I spent 2 days on the highway and try to put on the miles so not many photos except of the highway

[​IMG]

so on Saturday I had breakfast in Chicago with a friend

[​IMG]

and I made it to Denver for dinner on Sunday

I have skipped out on photos taken on the backroads of Indiana but I wanted to bring you up to date . Next week I have to get back to work. Tomorrow I leave Denver and head through UT, NV, CA, OR & WA before I reach home

here are my GPS tracks since I left Vancouver on July 10th, 2013

[​IMG]

hard to believe that I have nearly travelled across this continent twice. I hope that I will have more time in the next few days to stop for more photos

bob
  5. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you come through near the SF Bay Area - let me know. Might not work out anyways, but maybe we can have a coffee together again!
  6. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Bob

You have certainly been covering a lot of ground since you left Shediac. It's going to be tough going back to work after such an epic ride. Ride safe and enjoy the beautiful mountain scenery about to unfold.

Kedgi
  7. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G....o:

I think I may stay north of Sacramento to avoid the SFO traffic, unless of course you wish to take a day ride . . .

then we could get our two R1200R's together for a photo. I am thinking of taking hwy 50 to Reno and then ??? from there ?? who knows , perhaps CA20 to the coast

bob
  8. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dwight:

I really wanted to go to that little town on the south shore of Superior but I was planning on meeting someone along I-80 near Lincoln, NE but it didn't work out so I could have . . .

I used to think that SFO was far away, but now I think it's too close. I have gotten used to long riding days.

Shediac seems like a dream that never happened but I am glad that we had a chance to meet, and of course we will again.

Don't forget my spare Vstrom in Vancouver. Just let me know when you want to borrow it. Fly out and ride to the Rockies

Work will never be the same. It will take some time to get my mind back to business mode. I should be riding the Loneliest Highway in America tomorrow Hwy 50 in Nevada

bob
  9. cug

Oddometer:
    When will you be in the area? During the week won't work and as you have to get back to work, you'll likely pass through before the weekend, right?
  10. Scootard

Scootard Scraggle McSquarely

Oddometer:
    If you want to go to the coast, might I suggest 50 over the top to Tahoe, (you will love it) then into Truckee and 89 north up to and around Mt.Lassen. This road is in great shape and a joy to ride, lightly travelled and picturesque 2 lane, or was the last time I was there. Then 44 downhill to Redding and 299 out to the coast. 299 is one of the great motorcycle roads of all time, lots of twisties but not too many. Dumps you out just north of Eureka. From there 101 North through the redwoods.............ah, I'm drooling aren't I? Scooterchick says hi :ricky :ricky
  11. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G:

I'll probably be on the northern CA coast on Thur Aug 15th.

I don't have enough time to stay the weekend. I should be down again next year, and also the next year after that when I do the southern states

bob
  12. cug

Oddometer:
    Yeah, can't make that. Have to work. Unfortunately.
  13. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I left Denver, CO on Tuesday morning (yesterday) and after two 500 mile days I finally got to ride Hwy 50 from Utah to Nevada, the Loneliest Highway in America. Here are a few "postcards"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks for reading

bob
  14. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:

That's cool Bob

That road is on my bucket list.

Kedgi
  15. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was along day so after I finished riding Hwy 50 I ended up just East of Reno in Fernley, NV. The original plan was to push on to Susanville, CA but I was tired. This meant I had to ride longer the next day. I got an early start

[​IMG]

and after passing through Lassen park, hwy 299 West of Redding I finally made it to the Northern California Coast in one day

[​IMG]

this was my first glimpse of the Pacific Ocean. I had now ridden to both coasts on this trip

[​IMG]

I also managed to snap a photo with Paul and Babe

[​IMG]

It was getting late but I still found time to stop and admire the ocean views along hwy 101

[​IMG]

I decided to camp. So now I have camped on both the Atlantic and Pacific shores and I was too tired to go out for dinner so I broke into my emergency rations which is a food pack to which you just have to boil water

[​IMG]

and this was my view for the night

and this was my work station

[​IMG]
  16. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dwight:

You should have just tagged along with me. If I had a few more days I would have ridden the Million dollar highway. I was also around half an hour north of Arches NP but I had to keep heading towards home.

bob
  17. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The next morning I leave Crescent City bright and early and hit rain for the next hour or so while riding North on Hwy 101

[​IMG]

the coast line is foggy/misty

[​IMG]

but I stop for photos anyway

[​IMG]

of course I have to pose my bike too

[​IMG]

before long the heat starts to burn away the sea mist

[​IMG]

and I make it into Southern Oregon

[​IMG]

I was starting to get hungry so I stopped at this little place in Port Orford. I might add that they serve large breakfast portions here.

[​IMG]

you ride over a few historic bridges along the way
  18. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It wasn’t long before I reached Florence, OR and then I decided to make a right turn towards Eugene instead of having to deal with the tourist traffic heading north on Hwy 101. My original intention was to camp out at Waldport and then head into Corvallis the next day. I was feeling so relaxed as I was only a days ride home to Vancouver

My GPS was controlling my route and I was just following the purple line towards my home for the night, with friends when I noticed that I was cruising up Hwy 99 and made a quick detour to see if an old friend was at work

[​IMG]

I arrived at Team Oregon for a short visit. I try to make a point of stopping here but the last two times my friends was not in the office but today I was in luck

The next morning started early and I said my goodbyes to Troubadour as he is a motorcycle instructor and had to be on the road by 6:30am to set up the “range”

[​IMG]

I wanted to have coffee with the Corvallis riders, so I follow Trobairitz to Coffee Culture

[​IMG]

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JkJXwa5rvC0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We were not the first ones there and they ride an assortment of new and vintage bikes

[​IMG]

Here is a nice Vincent with sidecar

[​IMG]

After coffee I had an uneventful 8 hour ride home but encounter heavy traffic south of Tacoma . I eventually cross the Cdn/US border at Peach Arch

[​IMG]

And get back into British Columbia. By now the sun is nearly setting

[​IMG]

And I arrive home around 8pm. It was the culmination of 39 days on the road all the way from Vancouver, BC to Portland, ME and then North to NB and over the Confederation Bridge to PEI and then my ride back to Eureka, CA and then north to BC

[​IMG]

Nice to be home and also nice to be away.

Thanks for reading, bob
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
  19. csustewy

csustewy Motojero

Oddometer:
    What a trip, Bob! Thanks for taking the time to share your journey with us. Your photos are brilliant.

Where's your next trip going to take you? Would you pack the same kit?
  20. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike & Jill:

thank you for being faithful readers. I should have changed the title to Coast to Coast or Crossing North America but of course this wasn't my original plan. It was the first time I had no plan and just went with the flow and changing directions a few times then at the last minute I headed for Eureka, CA so I could say I went from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

Photography was always my hobby so it mixes well with riding and stopping.

While I was in Denver I was thinking of you two but I know you are still in SA somewhere.

I wanted so much to post daily but I had WiFi problems and not being able to actually login to the "net. I also have lots of video to post as the editor in my laptop refused to work and bugged out

so here is one from our ride to Hartland, NB

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AsfOi7FfVgg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>

not as adventurous as SA but now you can see what the roads are like in Atlantic Canada

I am already working on my next trip which will be longer and I may use my Vstrom which has longer range, more storage and better suited for rough pavement

bob