Pink Crocs in search of Lobsters

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by bESS, Jun 27, 2013.

1. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had always been intrigued with riding Hwy 50

[​IMG]

I rode it all the way from the Colorado border to Fernley, Nevada, nearly 2 days in 100°F heat

[​IMG]

I had lots of time to take a photo of my bike in the middle of the highway. I must have spent over 10 minutes walking around and clicking my camera

[​IMG]

for hours and hours you see lots of this

[​IMG]

you go through small towns which appear to be abandoned, vacant and decaying buildings

[​IMG]

but not all is flat and boring. You also see some "hills" some curvature

[​IMG]

there are some sections where you have to plan your gas stops

Ride with me for a few minutes to see what it was like

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2xnuwSyAD8w" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>

and thanks for following along

bob
  2. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bob,
    sorry I'm a bit late to this party. I want to thank you for taking us on this wonderful journey with you. The words, the pictures, and everything in between was just perfect. I'm thrilled that you had such a wonderful time. I cannot thank you enough for sharing with us.
  3. BOOGIEMAN

BOOGIEMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    very nice trip thanks for the ride along.
  4. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Clearwater:

never too late. I am still working on video to supplement my RR so things may be out of order. I had intended to post daily but who knew connecting to the internet would be so challenging.

thank you for your kind words

bob
  5. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had always wanted to take a longer trip but was always limited to vacation time. This year I took a few weeks of unpaid leave. It was great to not have a schedule, at least in the beginning. Now I want to take a longer trip every year . . .

thank you for following along

bob
  6. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had not heard of the Eisenhower Tunnel before (info here), but as I was running out of time I had to ride west on I-70 after leaving Denver. When it was built it was the longest tunnel in the world for vehicular traffic

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WyZPrlthGuE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="640"></iframe>

so sorry for being out of order. I was not able to edit my video on the road due to technical difficulties

bob
  7. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I left Vancouver on July 10th, 2013 and a mere 16 days later I found myself in Pocologan, New Brunswick. My tour guide and myself packed up early from our accommodations with a view of the Bay of Fundy

[​IMG]

It was exciting to think that we would soon be riding over the famous Confederation Bridge which connects New Brunswick with Prince Edward Island

[​IMG]

Vstar*Lady had an important family matter to attend to so I waited patiently and played with my camera. As I think about it now, it seems like a dream that never happened. We had finally reached the destination of our tour this year, to spend a few days on PEI

[​IMG]

and ride over THE bridge. A few hours later we finally arrived . . .

[​IMG]

Here is a bird's eye view of the 12.9 kilometer bridge as it looks from the handlebars of my BMW R1200R. You can just notice PEI in the background

[​IMG]

We had been talking about riding our bikes over the Conferation Bridge ever since we were planning this trip, and now we are doing it

[​IMG]

There are not that many vantage points available to pose your bike

[​IMG]

At the time this bridge was constructed, it was the longest bridge over open water. It is now know as the longest bridge over ice covered water.

Here is a video to show you how long it felt . . . VstarLady is in front but I hung back a bit to try and show you a clear road ahead

<iframe allowfullscreen="" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/o8HacPGe-R0" frameborder="0" height="480" width="640"></iframe>

I was having so much lobster I think I was turning into one

[​IMG]
  8. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know I'm getting behind in posting up my videos but we were on PEI for a few days and we rode down to the Historic Wood Island Lighthouse

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BfsqkBJmZMw" allowfullscreen="" width="480" frameborder="0" height="360"></iframe>

While the main roads are paved, most of the sideroads are red dirt which is very slippery when wet

bob
  9. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome trip. Great photos. Thanks for sharing.
  10. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bultaco:

thanks for reading. It was a great trip but I am only now working on my videos. I was editing challenged on my trip, had some sort of a software glitch and my program would not run.

bob
  11. bmwgo

bmwgo I love moto's

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to share your ride. I started this morning with breakfast and found your thread, then read it from start to finish. Super awesome stuff and a wonderful read. Well done man.

Have a nice day.
    Ernie
  12. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Ernie:

thank you for your kind words. While I have ridden to Montana, Idaho, Oregon and Washington I had never taken such a long trip, mostly solo to the other side of the Continent to the Atlantic Ocean . It was just luck that we managed to get bad weather after we arrived and got rained out and could not explore the northern loop.

Everything is out of order now that I had problems connecting to internet when I was on the road as I meant to report daily and also to edit video, that could not be done until now.

bob
  13. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know I may have posted these before but we camped on PEI for 4 nights and spent some time on historic Cavendish Beach

[​IMG]

the weather was not on our side. While the rest of the country was bathed in hot sun, we were on the Atlantic coast in weather that resembled Fall, even though it was July

Our plan was to ride the North Cape Loop which has the highest concentration of lighthouses in North America with a rugged coast line but a weather front moved over Summerside which dumped inches of rain in an hour or so and we managed to see the funnel cloud from Cavendish. Needless to say we stayed put and I rode over to North Rustico Harbour instead

[​IMG]

We had achieved our goal of riding to our most Eastern most point of our trip and now it was time to start heading back to Vancouver, BC

which of course meant that we had to ride back over the Confederation Bridge which links PEI to NB

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/joOW4NVYiWE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="640"></iframe>

The weather didn't start out so great as we had to pack up our tents, WET but wasn't so bad later on as we reached Shediac, NB

bob
  14. tarheel rider

tarheel rider Tight Lines

Oddometer:
    Bob, great thread. I am sorry our paths didn't cross. That is a long way to come and not loop NS! My pink flamingo and your crocs would have drawn a lot of attention!! Come down the coastline next trip and see the outer banks of NC! I enjoyed reading your RR!!
    John
  15. tarheel rider

tarheel rider Tight Lines

Oddometer:
  16. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    John:

Your pink flamingo would have been too large for me, unless it was an inflatable pink flamingo and I agree my pink crocs© would have been a good match. I am planning to visit all the places I missed in July/Aug 2015

Next year 2014 I will be farther south, down to Kentucky and Tennessee and then head West from there

and I just found out where the Scallop capital was, thanks to you

bob