PinlocK

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by OFOAM, Feb 14, 2020.

1. OFOAM

OFOAM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought an HJC helmet at the Cleveland IMS. It's a brand new model (i90) and has a Pinlock ready shield. Before I buy a pinlock insert, I'd like to know if they actually work. So, if anyone has an insert, I'd like to know your opinion.
  2. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    yes, yes they do. I have the Pinlock on my Shoei Neotech 2 for about 4 years now - they work great. Just like double-lensed ski goggles, they are all but impossible to fog up. I've ridden through torrential day long rain storms and mid-30's days many times.

The thing to remember is that it has to fit right. The pinlock has to be fully sealed all the way around with no air gaps. Generally though, they just snap into place and by design that's that.

Final note: do everything you can to not have to clean the pinlock shield. They scratch super easy.
  3. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I've tried them all. Pinlock. CatCrap. Spit. Rain-X anti-fog. Nothing ever worked. I just went and got a heated visor. Works 100%. Never have an issue. Would recommend.
    Stasher1 and Booghotfoot like this.
  4. vasuvius

vasuvius wannabe something ... don't know what

Oddometer:
    Pinlock works. I ride through the year in NJ and winter would be impossible without pinlock. Don't try to clean them.
    They do cause Starbursts and some Halo effect at night and more so on rainy nights.
  5. Pilotuh1b

Pilotuh1b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep. Pin lock work as advertised. The pins are oval so make sure you rotate them until the lens is tightly sealed against the visor. I won’t get another helmet without it now.
    phreakingeek likes this.
  6. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    They work great for me in two different helmets; I get zero fogging in either of them. There have been several threads and many posts over the years about how Pinlocks either work great or don't work, so YMMV.
  7. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    huh. weird. I had a Pinlock and it was no better than the rest of them. The heated visor was the end-all for me.
  8. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wont buy a helmet now without a pinlock visor. You do need to take some time and fit it correctly to the visor so it has the proper amount of squish on the gasket for it to work. It will eventually show it's age and start fogging, but for me that takes about a year. I just resign myself to replacing the visor and pinlock every year...but that's due to high miles and lots of dirt/bugs and frequent cleaning.
  9. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    Had several pinlocks and as posted on this thread, the majority are great. Also, you can buy different tints, including photochromic (changes tint with change in ambient light). Most come with a very thin peal off film for shipping. Easy to miss, so look close and make sure you remove it.
  10. BigMac75

BigMac75 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You may have to adjust the pins themselves - to ensure that the pinlock is sitting against the visor nice and tight. They are set in the visor itself, and will rotate. I had a problem with my pinlock fogging - and upon closer examination- that was the problem... a few quick turns- problem solved.
    smbjm, phreakingeek and Tigershark48 like this.
  11. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine worked for fogging, but hard to see at night with the headlights coming at you. I wear glasses, too, so I get extra images. Add rain and it gets down right scary. Want to buy one for an Arai cheap?
  12. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I just bought a new helmet with a pinlock visor. Nexx X wed2. The pinlock was in the box with the helmet. I look forward to trying it out come Spring and cold temperatures. I don't need glasses any longer so I look forward to seeing if they are worth the hype. If not I have another new visor ready to go.
  13. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    My helmet is a Nexx XT-1 with pinlock that came with it. That was the one with near invisible peal-off protective film I mentioned earlier. Make sure you remove it for excellent clarity. Works great.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  14. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I start commuting again tomorrow, and am just going to refit my pinlock. Fog starting in the mornings now, sunstrike too...my latest helmet has Pinlock and a flip down sunshade, so it will be interesting to see how it compares to my old helmet without either.
  15. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    I’ve found that my flip down sunshade fogs if I put it down before I start moving. Once I’m getting fresh air flow, it’s fine.
  16. PaulTim2000

PaulTim2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using Pin lock inserts for at least 10 years here in the damp UK, wearing glasses makes the whole fogging thing a real issue. They work brilliantly, you might need to crack the visor slightly in town but you'd have to do it without as well.
    Only downside is that they are fragile and easily scratched, don't clean them unless you really have to and be ready to replace them every couple of year but a lot cheaper than a new visor. If you regularly change visors then think carefully how you store the one with the pin lock fitted.
    Its now one of the things I look for when buying a helmet.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  17. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some may not realize that to get a good seal you need to flatten out the shield a bit, insert one side of the Pinlock, and as the shield relaxes and finds it's natural curve insert the free end into the pin. This assures that the seal is in good contact all the way around. I figure most know but I've seen a few riders try to "snap" it in and it never will seal correctly that way.
  18. Vrode

Vrode Long. Standing. Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use one and my shield never fogs up. My glasses though......
  19. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    I used a pinlock visor and liked it. But, after time, it became scratched up big time. I did not notice it until I was riding down a dark interstate in traffic. The lights from the cars around me reflected in the scratches and it was difficult to see.

When I got home, I ordered up a new visor and pinlock. At this point, I am using it without the pinlock.

In other words, it worked well but does need replacement periodically.
  20. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been using pinlocks for about 10 years or more. Really like them. Work about 98% of the time. As others have mentioned:
    - install the insert correctly
    - be VERY gentle when cleaning the insert. It scratches if you look at it wrong.
    - why are they so expensive!?