"Pioneer Village" in Nebraska worth a visit?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by EdM, Jan 28, 2010.

1. EdM

EdM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good day:

Planing a trip this summer to the west (sadly by car) and trying to decide on places to visit.

I have the Nebraska travel guide and now have received a brochure on "The Harold Warp Pioneer Village" in Minden. Seems like an interesting stop but wondering if anyone in the area could comment?

Thank you.

Ned
  2. Metallic Waste

Metallic Waste Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer:
    Carhenge, in Alliance, is a must. :deal

[​IMG]
    -K
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I passed on it when I went through, but it looked very interesting. Some say it is Nebraska's #1 tourist attraction. There are a few others from that area that might be helpful in your planning in this thread:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382552
  4. flyrodder

flyrodder nothing bugs me except insufficient applause Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's worth a stop.

When are you coming through? Is this a family vacation? Are you into outdoor stuff like camping/fishing/hiking stuff?

Most of the cool natural sights to see are north of I-80, including the Sandhills and the Niobrara River valley, plus many others.

Between Lincoln and Omaha is the Strategic Air Command museum adjacent to a really good state park.

Give us some details about when and the kinds of things you want to see. Hope you have a good trip!
  5. EdM

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies.

Flyrodder:

Don't have many details worked out yet. There will just be my wife and I. We're both 67 so don't mind fairly short walks but will not be doing long hikes or climbs.

I really enjoy learning about the "Old West" and also like older firearms so my plan is to work our way to Cody, WY to the Buffalo Bill museum & to see their Winchester collection. Hope to also see a bit of Yellowstone.

I don't think my wife is as enthusiastic about my interests but she likes to travel so goes along. We'd actually like to see the Great Platte River Road Archway in Kearney and that looks fairly close to Pioneer Village.

We're retired so don't have to worry about work but with 5 kids and 10 grandkids there are always some engagements we want to attend so I think 3-4 weeks would be the most we could take. Not much time to see a huge area I know.

Ned
  6. flyrodder

flyrodder nothing bugs me except insufficient applause Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ned,

The firearms museum in Cody is outstanding. Huge collection. If you are coming from that direction, I would very much recommend visiting or even staying at Fort Robinson State Park near Crawford, NE in the very North Western corner of the state. (Crawford is about 100 miles or so south of Mt. Rushmore.) The Fort was instrumental during the waning years of the Indian Wars (the Sioux Chief Crazy Horse wall killed there in 1879), served as a cavalry remount station during the early 1900's, then as a POW and Army K-9 training post during WWII. Their museums are very good and it's truly a beautiful location. They have minimalist hotel rooms, and pretty nice cabins that reflect the Fort's early days. You should make reservations there. I have a meager RR here.

This is the post HQ (now a museum) at Fort Robinson
    [​IMG]

From there you can follow HWY 2 all the way to Grand Island through the heart of the Sandhills. You really should see this short-grass prairie. If you have not already seen this RR, you should take some time there also. Buffalo Bill is one of the local riders here with excellent photog skills. Lots of other plaines state stuff there, all of it very good.

This pic I stole from fifthcircle. It's along HWY 2 east of Alliance, NE.
    [​IMG]

Alternately, you could drop south from Crawford on HWY 71 to Scottsbluff and see the famous Scott's Bluff and Chimney Rock along the North Platte.

You will probably like Pioneer Village and also stop at Stuhr Museum of The Prairie Pioneer in Grand Island along with the River Road deal. They are all within about 75 miles of each other. The River Road is kind of poo-pood by the locals, it was marketed as a very big deal. You need to check their website for scheduling; they are not open every day.

Probably more info that you are looking for.........
  7. EdM

Oddometer:
    flyrodder:

Many thanks for taking the time to post your suggestions.

Certainly not more than I was looking for but it does reinforce my fear that "so much to see, so little time to see it" rings quite true!

Ned
  8. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    I loved Pioneer Village. The thing I liked about it was the stuff that he had there may not have been a pristine example but he had one, an example being a 1973 orange vega with a dent in the side. One of my favorites was the very first RV. It had quarky cool stuff IMHO. We still refer to Harold to this day when we are on the road and I stopped there probably 16-17 years ago. If we see something that somebody preserved no matter how dumb it may seem, we'll say, "Harold would be proud" :lol3 It also may be the only thing in Nebraska worth seeing...I kid, I kid.:D
  9. 2whelman

2whelman addict

Oddometer:
    If you are into anything, and I mean anything, old or funky, you will see it at Pioneer Village. Its easy to kill an entire day there and is a stop you will not regret. Dont miss the collection of old motorcycles, I know people who spent an entire day there and didnt even know they had a barn full of bikes.

Even the kids & wife/girlfriend can find something of interest.
  10. GSbiker

GSbiker new and un-improved

Oddometer:
    Damn, I have lived here 50+ years and have never been there. Sounds like I better make the trip. :lol3
  11. GSbiker

GSbiker new and un-improved

Oddometer:
    This is the worlds largest porch swing.

[​IMG]

It is in Hebron, NE. Definitely worth a visit.
  12. racer49

racer49 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. EdM

Oddometer:
    I truly appreciate all the suggestions.

Ned
  14. dfc

dfc nonattractive

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Golden Spike, especially if you like trains.....
  15. 2whelman

2whelman addict

Oddometer:
    The Strategic Air & Space Museum near Ashland NE is a top of the line exhibit of aircraft, nuclear weapons, spacecraft, etc.

Another great stop. www.sasmuseum.com
  16. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    I thought I would spend a hour or 2 there and spent half a day and did not see everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. scarter435

scarter435 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To answer your original question, yes Harold Warp's Pioneer Village is definitely worth a stop, particularly for people of our age (65-70). In many ways it's like the Smithsonian focused on 1900-1975 and without the crowds. You can tell when Warp died (1994) - the collections just stop about ten years earlier. He must have been quite a character judging from what he found interesting.

Our daughter went to college in Hastings, and we drove by Minden on I-80 and one day decided to take a little time to see the place. We spent most of the day there.
  18. TroyWolf

TroyWolf Student in the art of less

Oddometer:
    Dad took us kids to Pioneer Village many moons ago--it was great. I'd like to get back there someday and spend more time. You could easily spend an entire day there looking at his collections. What I liked was how his collection shows the progression of things. Take dishwasher's for example, he'll have an example of one of the first dishwashers ever made and then he'll have one for every major advancement showing how dishwashers changed over time.

Ajayhawkfan, this sounds like another excuse to ride!
  19. scarter435

scarter435 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amen!

I remember the old road trips in the mid 1950's from Illinois to Colorado on US 36 seeing the signs for hundreds of miles to SEE PIONEER VILLAGE. Despite our pleas, dad would never do it. My wife remembered the same thing, which is one reason why we found it so wonderful.

The next scenic wonder on my bucket list that Dad never stopped to see: the geographic center of the US.