Pirelli MT60 VS Tourance, Scorpion, etc

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by switchback, Aug 21, 2008.

1. switchback

switchback Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer:
    With all the 17 inch front wheeled, road oriented adventure bikes out there I was wondering how tires like the MT60 and any other recommended 17" fronts perform on dirt/gravel roads compared to something like a tourance or anakee?

I realize that there is nothing like a TKC for the front but the MT60 looks more aggressive than a tourance or comparable tire and should stick better than a knobbie on the tarmac.
  2. 2StrokeBloke

2StrokeBloke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You must be psychic...
    I've been mulling this over for the last two days.
    Lets toss in the IRC GP1, Gripsters and the D606.

I need something in the 70street/30dirt to 90street/10dirt range that'll fit my DR. Street usage trumps gravel, and gravel trumps mud.

Any takers?
    Forget about the Mefo since it's unobtanium in North America...unless someone has a source?
  3. rocker59

rocker59 diplomatico di moto

Oddometer:
    The 120/70-17 MT60RS front and 160/60-17 rear were developed as a WET DOT tire for supersport racing. They don't last long on the street. A few thousand miles.

That being said, I ran a 19" MT60 on the front of my Ducati E900 for a while and really like its gravel road performance.

Good tires, just don't expect 'em to last long if there is an "RS Corsa" in the tire's description.
  4. switchback

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info.

I know that there are a couple of other less aggressive 17" ADV tires for the front like the Scorpion Syncs and I think there is an Avon Distanza option. I would like to hear opinions on these as well compared to the less aggressive ADV 19" tires like the Tourance.
  5. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    I really like the MT-60 for the front of my Versys. The first one lasted 6500 miles. It really isn't totally worn out, but worn enough that I changed it since I already had another one. :D I think using one on the front with something like a Tourance on the rear is the way to go.
  6. switchback

Oddometer:
    Most of the tires you mentioned are not available in a 17" front, a radial or tubeless. That being said I have GP1s on my DR and they are fairly good for a 50/50 but wear fast. I am looking for tires for bikes like the Versys, Multistrada, Ulysses, and other 17" non conventional adventure wanna-be's with 17" fronts.
  7. switchback

Oddometer:
    It is odd thinking about replacing a front (MT60) twice as much as a rear (tourance). I got about 12-13k out of my tourance and scorpion rears on my Tiger.
  8. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    They really do make the bike handle great on gravel, though. :thumb
  9. J-Ball

J-Ball Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you look on the Pirelli INTERNATIONAL website you'll see that there is a MT-60 Corsa and a "regular" MT-60 listed in a 120/70/17 front.
    http://www.pirellityre.com/web/catalog/moto/moto_catalogoDett.page?categoria=/catalog/moto/on_off_road/enduro_street&vehicleType=MOTO

But on the U.S. site there is only a listing for the MT-60 R/RS CORSA.
    http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catalog/moto/moto_catalogoDett.page?categoria=/catalog/moto/on_off_road/enduro_street&vehicleType=MOTO

I wonder if the "regular" corsa is available here in the states? I wonder if it would have "normal" wear?

I've been digging for months for ANY dual sport 17" front tire that will have a decent service life and it just dosn't exist. The MT-60 and Distanzia's look great but soft compound = short service life. The Pirelli Scorp Syncs look like the closest match for me (perhaps with a MT-90 or Trail on the rear) BUT the Sync in the size I need is supposed to go on a 3.5" rim and I've got a 3"! At this point I'm thinking about just using some Metzler 880's or Pilot Roads or something and giving up on the whole D/S tire. BUMMER! MAJOR BUMMER!!! The only other option would be to run a rear on the front which I hear is fine from some and forbidden by others. If it's cool to do then the options really open up, but again... it's a gray area and moto tires are too important to mess with gray areas.:eek1
  10. switchback

Oddometer:
    Considering many of the "Adventure" bikes are not much more than a regular standard with another inch or two of travel, it would be nice if there were some 17" options out there for dirt road cruising. After all, the whole world is not paved! :evil
  11. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When people say "dual sport tire" I normally think knobby. Continental sells the TKC 80 in a 120/90 - 17. Not sure that will fit a 3" front though.

Also, Conti sells a new ContiTrailAttack that looks interesting but I wouldn't call it a "dual sport" tire. No 17" front though.

I like the Pirelli Scorpion Syncs myself (Pirelli themselves categorize the Scorpion Sync as a "Sport/Sport Touring" tire) but again I don't categorize them as a dual-sport tire.

Pirelli also sells a new Scorpion Trail in a 120 front.
  12. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Gen, nice to "see" you around here, man.

I agree, the Sync is a pretty good alternative, but not a real D/S tire. Also, I can't find the Scorpion Trail front in 120/70-17, I only see a rear 120/90-17 listed... :scratch Where did you see a front in 120? :dunno

Gustavo
  13. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gustavo! Happy new year. Please give my best to all on WL.

I don't think there's a front 120. Clearly it's a rear. How about that TKC80?
  14. Skyclad

Skyclad Original Bastard

Oddometer:
    I ride a Ulysses, and since I did not get the "not a dual sport" memo, I am always looking for the best combination of tread life and dirt capability. I have used the Scorp Synchs (stock), Avon Distanzias and MT60R's.

Scorps are agood street tire, but I was somewhat less than impressed by their characteristics on anything other than pavement.

Avon Distanzias work good on pavement and dirt. The sizes for the Ulysses (120/60-17 front and 160/60-17 rear) are supermoto compound, but I still got close to 5000 from the rear and about 8000 from the front. The front was cupping pretty badly, or I may have been able to get more out of it.

Pirelli MT60R is by far the best tire I have put on the Ulysses. Unbelievable grip on pavement, and pretty damn good on dirt as well. To give you an idea what I mean about grip on pavement, I was able to scrub off the chicken strips on the front tire to about 1/4 inch from the edge of the tread. I did this running the Dragon, and did not even realise how far I was leaning the bike. Very stable and planted the whole time. However, the rear tire looks to be about half gone at 1100 miles. I am hoping to get 2500 out of it. I will replace with another MT60R rear, but hwne it comes time to replace both, I am not sure I am going to stick with these tires. They are also a bit on the pricy side.

I am going to try the Dumlop D616. I have heard good and bad things about them. biggest gripe that I usually hear, for Uly guys anyway, is they have a bit of a weave at higher speeds. I have heard they are pretty good other than that, so I will have to check them out.

Hope this helps.
  15. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The MT60R was designed to be a supermoto race tire, and a rain tire, so your experience with it is exactly how the engineers designed it to be: excellent grip on both street and light dirt situations but low tread life.

I think the Distanzia is a good compromise tire.

Personally I'm sticking with either the MT60R, which comes stock on the KTM Supermotos, or the Scorpion Sync, which I run now and like a lot. But then again a KTM Supermoto is not a 1000cc ADV bike.
  16. Skyclad

Skyclad Original Bastard

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was fully aware that the tread life would be poor when I put the MT60R's on the bike. To be honest, I would probably suck up the cost of using them if I didn't have to try to explain it to the wife.:evil
  17. sailwa66

sailwa66 Captain Cheap A**

Oddometer:
    I'm on my third or fourth set of Dunlop 616s on a Multistrada 1000DS, which sees a LOT of dirt road/two track, and I'm very happy with them... especially for the price. They're great on hard pack, and actually handle sand quite well, until it gets deep. Forget slimey mud... they're worthess in it... don't ask:bluduh

No problem dragging the footpegs on pavement, and the rain performance is phenominal. I'm a very aggressive rider, and running 30F/33R pressures, I get about 12,000 miles out of the front, and 6000 from the rear.
  18. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Multistrada comes with the Scorpion Sync as OEM, no? What was it about the ScorpSync that you didn't like?
  19. Skyclad

Skyclad Original Bastard

Oddometer:
    No worries about the slimy mud, the MT60R's did not handle that well either.

Wet Alabama clay + wet leaves = nappy time

[​IMG]

Of course, the KTM running TKC 80's right in front of me did not fair any better. Synchronized crashing...the newest Olympic sport
  20. sailwa66

sailwa66 Captain Cheap A**

Oddometer:
    $$$ (see my avatar caption) and the D616 is a more aggressive tread pattern.