Pirelli scorpion rally STR

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by modestmuscle, Jul 20, 2017.

1. ntino

ntino n00b

Oddometer:
    Curious as to why everyone says a 70/30 - 60/40 tire would be better on pavement than a pretty much road tire - i mean there is a lot more rubber on the anakees
  2. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    It seems counter to what you would think. I've used mainly Pilot 4s on GS bikes because I decided road riding was the truth of what I do after trying noisier rubber.
    Fact ism thought the STR's 'sing' a bit, the are phenomenal in the turns. Actually better than the NEXT I had from the factory.
    Believe it or don't ;)
  3. modestmuscle

modestmuscle Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, some people like to talk, and are rude....

I say this HUMBLY, I've never ridden with anyone that can keep my pace...

I have no idea what you are talking about, with the center stand being worn down before scraping panniers and pegs. That is an ignorant statement.. Pics to follow!

I won't argue with you about anything...

If you are ever in Northern California, pm me, and we ride....

Have a good day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
  4. ntino

ntino n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh wow. Anyhow what I said is that the center stands scrapes before the panniers. Footpegs scrape first obviously tho some people on this forum have trouble keeping their shoes intact it appears

You must be very very quick and humble if no one keeps up with you jeez. In that vid You were riding a r1200gs with an rr. I am sure it was no competition and you were both taking it slow but next thing I will hear is the the GS is the better faster bike lol. Sorry to have offended you and I am sure I won’t look you up for fear of crashing trying to keep up.
  5. modestmuscle

Oddometer:
    Yep, you are a funny guy

6. modestmuscle

Oddometer:
    Right side [​IMG][​IMG]

7. modestmuscle

Oddometer:
    Left side [​IMG][​IMG]

8. modestmuscle

Oddometer:
    I can't for the life of me, understand if you are being serious about the center stand statement... You do realize that you would have to burn through the rear swing arm to get to the center stand...

Seriously, clear this up for me...

I understand you want to be a sarcastic a$$ hat. But some people use this site for information..

Thanks

9. ntino

ntino n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok, so on the right side of the bike my center stand grinds after footpegs, on left side of the bike where the center stand has the lever that curves up it does not grind. I have the stock pegs that are narrower and dont have feelers. I mean do you really want me to go and take pics?

You have aftermarket bags it seems so I guess those can grind - i dunno, stock ones do not. This is a 2018 on auto preload and dynamic suspension. From my experience the max preload is more on the newer 2018 model - I have both a 2018 and 2016.
    So I didnt know you have aftermarket bags and therefor I apologize but the idea of the stock ones being on the ground is silly with proper preload - or atleast for me the center stand grinds first. Either way this is not a rooster measuring contest I just didnt get how you are scraping panniers.
    In the interest of being informative - as I am sure you know this already but touching bags (as is scraping center stand) is not the best idea off the track as a dip in the road or a bump can lift up your rear wheel. Also lean ≠ being fast ;).
    I put on PR4 as I figured its just as good as the anakees for the kind of "off road" I will be doing and should be a lot nicer on the road. I still have the STRs for when I go somewhere I would need them.

(I was gonna get the TA2 that you seem to have on the bike which I have really liked using on my SMT990 for everything but I figured that there is really no point compromising on a heavier bike)
  10. FJKai

FJKai Off Road Lurker

Oddometer:
    :imaposer

Always entertainment to be found on this forum. Man, I was following along with this thread because I'm considering the STR's.............. and then.....:fpalm (Although I agree with with the statement "lean does not equal being fast")

Anyway, hope it gets back on track since this is the only STR dedicated thread I've come across, and the more experiences the better.

And seriously, calm your jets on the public roads, you're gonna kill yourself some day, or worse, kill someone else.
    Chaostrophy and jiml53 like this.
  11. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    I've switched my TKC-80 out for the Pirelli before heading of to Croatia and Bosnia Herzegovina (those are countries in europe). I did so because I was warned repeatedly about the slippery tarmac over there, this when the roads get wet. The TKC-80 is also slippery in the wet so that combination is far from ideal. Since everyone seem to like these Pirelli's I thought I should give them a try.

In short; i did like my decision because they are indeed better on wet tarmac and I drove that a lot. I also didn't like my decision because they are not very good for off-tarmac riding where the terrain is slanted (with ruts an such) and slippery. This mainly because they don't have grip (knobs) sideways (apology for not explaining this very good, but English is not my native language). But that is to be expected by just looking at the profile of these tires. I therefor still prefer the TKC-80 for offroad (off-tarmac) riding. The Pirelli will almost always also get you where your going, but you notice the added difficulty. However, would I go again to those country's I still would mount the Pirelli because of the nature of such a trip. With riding enough wet tarmac where I really need the extra grip (because otherwise it can get dangerous fast). That's enough to sacrifice some off-tarmac traction on muddy trails and such. Just my opinion.

It could be a coincidence but one guy in our group crashed his bike over there, while riding no faster than 35 km/h on wet tarmac while running tkc-80. Those roads where indeed slippery as hell when they got wet.
  12. sphyrnidus

sphyrnidus born to ride

Oddometer:
    So after the Pirelli’s I tried the Bridgestone A41. The Pirelli’s lasted 12k km and then started cupping, but still had 4-5 mm left. The A41’s are gone in 7.5k km. So I’m going back to Pirelli if available in Andorra.
    CopperGreen likes this.
  13. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    Just put a new rear on after 12500 kms. There was still a bit left. Third rearSTR all with roughly the same result. Happy to continue.
  14. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No worries, buddy. Your English is very good, and I understand your post easily.
    terriblemog and pklop like this.
  15. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    Dang...No way I'll get 7K miles out of my rear unless I slow the hell down run it to the cord.
    Mines looking like less than 3/16" or less before the wear bar at appx 2500 miles.
  16. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'll just strap the A3 to my bike just in case then.
    RunninRanger likes this.
  17. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    What pressure are you running the rear at?
  18. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    40-42psi
    75% canyons
    100% solo, tankkbag/tailbag, (occasional panniers but not on these tires)
    (note my OEM NEXT lasted about 4K-ish)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  19. FJKai

FJKai Off Road Lurker

Oddometer:
    Well fellas, after much "research" and reading around, I decided to go with the STR's and just recently put on a set. I know, I know........a KTM guy posting in the GS Boxer forum, blasphemy! But it's all real life experience and every little bit helps us ALL out right? Besides, I've had a GS 1200 prior to the KTM and struggled with finding the perfect tires, I'm just now doing it on a different bike. I was hard on tires (still am) and found myself only getting around 2k miles on rears. Same story with the KTM, even worse with the the hp it puts out.

I tend to push it on the street and let it rip on the dirt so if I can get 3k miles on a rear tire I'd consider these my new favorite tires. Only time will tell since they don't even have 30 miles on them yet, but they'll eventually get some miles on them once it cools down a bit here in So Cal.

Anyway, more info and experience can only help right?
    kvango likes this.
  20. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer: