1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Pirelli scorpion rally STR

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by modestmuscle, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    You can do it online as well and they'll give you a case #.
  2. speedkelly

speedkelly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, just did it. Thanks
  3. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ricky

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180814182818268_COVER.jpg
    FarmerKeith and Oeths like this.
  4. Jerm21

Jerm21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Count me in - just ordered a pair. I’m currently running Shinko 804/805s on my ‘14 GS. I’ve liked them a lot and they still have a little meat left, but I have a trip in mid-September, and never like to push it with tires.

I was going to give the Shinko 705s a shot, but at the Zilla price combined with the rebate, the Pirellis seemed to be too good to pass up.
    Jettn Jim likes this.
  5. fanatic father

fanatic father n00b

Oddometer:
    I put a set of these on about 3 weeks ago. Does anyone else get an unbearable howl at around 80mph? I think it's coming from the rear. I had them mounted at Cycle Gear and I think their balancing job could be suspect.
  6. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    There is some singing, I believe from the front when new that seems to subside with wear in.
    I wear earplugs.
    Nothing like the howl from stock Anakees though.
    Best to check your bead alignment and balance yourself if you can.
  7. fanatic father

fanatic father n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, something must be off. They're way worse than the Anakees ever were.
  8. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    Hard to find good help at CG.
    It's worth investing in a Marc Parnes balancer and some weights if you normally pull your wheels and take them in for mounting.
    I usually tell the shop to not balance, just mount, and balance them myself.
    That way I know they're right.

[​IMG]
    530steve, Oeths and trapperj like this.
  9. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    Coming from street tires, I noticed that they're really loud. But the grip is great and the ride is pretty smooth. No balance issues.

FWIW, I'm running a 19/17 setup in stock sizes on my VFR1200X.

[​IMG]
    Mr. Goodkat and 530steve like this.
  10. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    does anyone happen to know the starting tread depth, front and rear? Has anyone measured it?
  11. Phil8dirt

Phil8dirt '17 BMW R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    I installed the STR's last week and had just a short opportunity to try them out. They are definitly quiter than my original Anakee 3's that I had (just under 8k miles on the A 3's). With the little bit that i have ridden on them so far, I am impressed on the road, with road snakes. I also had a chance to ride a little on gravel roads and which was definitly better than the Anakee 3's.

On another thread I remember someone posting new tread depth for the STR's being 7mm front and 9mm rear. I measured mine just after i got them and i think they were closer to 8mm front and 10mm rear (I'll check again when I get home this weekend).
  12. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    Thank you. That sounds about right for that tire.
  13. speedkelly

speedkelly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tires arrived today. Bummer is that I have a bunch of work trips, so won't be able to ride on them until End of September. Still, can't wait to try them out on the Ducati Enduro.
  14. speedkelly

speedkelly Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    I got 4000 miles out of the OEM rear TKC80 on my 1290 SAR. I just put a Pirelli Scorpion on for a coming rally. I used to get ~6 kmiles out of Scorps on my Ninefiddy. Be interesting to see what 50% more power results in.
  16. muscadel

muscadel Maxx

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys

I thought I'd give you my subjective views on the Scorpion STR's, as I've now done 8000km with them front and rear.

3b9bedf0-9a52-42df-bd10-f29dc44ff9f9.jpg 9dad893a-e8f5-406b-83d9-4b1eb0e33990.jpg 36CB367D-26FE-4C79-8C33-A58D44C7ED57.JPG IMG_1452.JPG

Firstly, when I compare the Rally STR to my previous tyres, I should probably say what I've ridden before, where, how far, how, etc....Some perspective so to speak

Bikes:
    KDR200
    F650GS
    R1150GS Adventure 1
    R1150GS Adventure 2
    R1150GS Adventure 3
    KTM 250 WRC
    R1200GS Oli Cooled
    KTM 990 SMT
    R1200GS Oil Cooled Triple Black

Tyres Ridden:
    Continental TKC 80
    Bridgestone Trailwing
    Metzler Endurance/Tourance? and EXP
    Various Mitas
    Metzler Karoo
    Michelin Anakee 2
    Michelin Anakee 3
    Perrelli Angel GTII
    Probably another few I cant remember

Currently Scorpion STR
    Pressures: (Sorry we dont work in PSI)
    Front 2.3 Bar on and off road
    Rear 2.8 Bar on and off road

Where and what I ride:
    Southern Parts of Africa
    Karoo, desserts, Namibia, hard pack, soft pack, marble, lots of corrugated hard pack, deep sand, mud, clay, asphalt, from long straight roads to incredible passes, twisties, mountain passes to die for, to technical washed away erosion where no car can go, we sort of have to ride it all here.

How long?
    Probably 20 years or so?
    Distance.. who knows, but at best guess, on and off road, around 500 000km... most probably off road

Riding style:
    Calm. I'm not a flat boxer, I do the occasional high speed 100mp/h plus on good hard pack, and overcook some technical sections when I'm in the zone, but as a rule, I'm a conservative, technical rider, I like the skill more than the speed. After all, I want to see the scenery too... I've had the odd un-elegant dismount off road , and only one accident, on Asphalt.

So against that background, here is my views on the Scorpion STR's... phew at last

So my "Go-to: Tyre has always been the TKC-80
    As soon as I have a 1000km plus trip planned off road, the TKC-80's go on
    When I commute, or do mostly asphalt, I would normally have the Angel GT's on

Then these Scorpion STR happened.

Let me be very clear, its the best tire I've EVER had on my bike, bar none.

Wet (oh my word, do they stick in the wet), Rain, Asphalt, Dry, Riverbeds, Mud, Gravel, High speed, technical, I have yet to to find a situation where I wished I had "those ***tyres" on.
    Pillion, no pillion, I can scrape my front pegs on the GS with confidence and comfort on Asphalt mountain passes, Pillion or not, standing or sitting, off road has become a bloody pleasure.

I ride with traction control on, and ABS in "S" mode, limited slip and wheelspin

I was absolutely blown away when i realised the traction control did not kick in crossing muddy standing water stretches in the karoo. How does these things grip so well off road?
    Cornering is a no brainer, the grip goes on and on and on
    As for Asphalt, there seems to be a little sport bike in the tire, in fact, I cant even remember the 90/10's gripping so much

After 8000km, my tires are about 50%, having dealt with 200km/h plus tar speeds, offroad rocks, slate sharp technical sections, riverbeds, mud, sand (they track particularly well)

Any questions, I'll be happy to answer. I would still like to try a set of Karoo STR'S, But I think the Scorpion STR will be my go-to for a long long time

Ride Safe
    Muscadel
  17. Boss Ross

Boss Ross Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thumbnail_IMG_2616.jpg thumbnail_IMG_2617.jpg So these are the tires after 3000 miles. The rear still has life and hooks up off road. These 3000 miles are mostly street but when I have had them off road they didn't slide or slip at all. They even did some stream crossing with ease. So far I have been really happy with these tires. Their street manners are excellent.
  18. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    My rear is down to the wear bars and still corners like new.
    Oeths likes this.
  19. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very encouraging.

Just ordered a set with the $50 rebate (expires 8/31) for my 990 adv. (net $210/set revzilla)
  20. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks to whoever posted and reposted about the rebate. Ordered a set from Revzilla, $217 plus tax and a $50 rebate is almost free tires. TKC70 currently, I like the street and dirt road traction and mileage but the front cupping is way too much. Looked at several other tires but the STR sound like a fair compromise between street, dirt road, wet performance and mileage. For me anyway.