1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Pirelli scorpion rally STR

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by modestmuscle, Jul 20, 2017.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    About the only positive thing I have to say about these tires compared to other off-road tires is they haven't started cupping / whining yet which is nice. I still don't plan on buying another set.
  2. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there something special you guys are doing for these prices? I have a set in my cart and it is totaling $404.98?
  3. Ken Oath

Ken Oath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could you provide what you consider the negatives are? Would value balanced facts to make an informed decision, thank you.
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I didn't plan on really making a review until the tires were completely spent. They still have about 500 miles left in them. The thing about these tires is that most of the people buying them are coming from 80/20 street-biased tires marketed as "dual sport / adv" and to them, the STRs are really fantastic and I would agree but compared to the Anakee 3, TKC80 and Anakee Wild (the tires I've burned through in the last 12 months), I really don't like these tires but I spend most of my free-time on dirt and these things just don't make me happy.

They are great on-road but there are a lot of great road tires that fit the GS. They don't have any flex, give or grip on anything more than a hard packed dirt road. If you live in a city with the occasional dirt construction zone, you'll love these.

I'm sure if I was a better rider, I could wrangle these to work off road but I only put these on for a long road trip and the bike fell out from under me every day I was off-tarmac.

Positives if you're coming from a road tire:
    • Decent mileage considering the blockiness of them
    • Very good wet traction
    • Even wear

From a dirt tire (knobbies)
    • very good mileage
    • okay job of clearing dirt
    • no cupping
    • Very quiet
    • Improved gas mileage

Negatives coming from a dirt tire:
    • no flex
    • you won't be able to climb baby head hills with these
    • you will have an issue in mud with the front just sliding out from under you
    • the blocks are fixed so they don't really tooth up like a knobby would
    • airing down doesn't really help just increases a contact path that sucks at clearing mud
    • Gravel really has no where to go since there is so much rubber contact and not deep grooves like the Anakee Wild / TKC80 so you're just riding on marbles just like you would be on a street tire

Over 2 weeks and 3600 miles (400 on dirt), I crashed 5 times on these tires because I rode them just like I had the last 7K miles on knobbies. I made the mistake of developing a riding style that allows me to be a hooligan on dirt on a 600 pound bike because the TKC80/Wild allowed that behavior. I didn't adjust my riding style to street tires because I saw blocks and thought "oh it's just a baby knobby" wrong. and if I had been coming from a tire like the Trail attack 2 or TKC70, I probably would have enjoyed these more.

I needed these tires for the long life they offered but for my riding, I don't plan on buying another set.
    Tumer, Jettn Jim, bnsutton and 4 others like this.
  5. Ken Oath

Ken Oath Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you Adam.

Interesting points about running lower pressure and gravel clearance as I predominately ride with those conditions.
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Like most of my opinions, I am most likely wrong so take that into account :)
  7. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like the price went up. For my sizes they were $217 a set a few weeks ago, now showing $310.
  8. fire88dog

fire88dog CaptainStache

Oddometer:
    Can you tell me where you found the rebate info?
  9. kehale

kehale Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. fire88dog

fire88dog CaptainStache

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  11. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LAST CHANCE - rebate expires today
    - Thanks Boxer you saved me $50. 'Owe you a brew'. . . . :drink

Curious if it was the front or back that caused problems?

I was thinking about the Anakee Wilds, but saw this review on revzilla (currently 2nd review, NSDenver). On-pavement, wet pavement and 80mph are important to me(and safety concern), so willing to give up a little mud/dirt performance with the STR - and from this review the Wilds seem unacceptable on road:

Interesting, but not in a good way...
    . . . .
    Pros:
    * Decent-to-good overall off road. Not as good as the TKC80s, and a good bit better than the TKC70s. Let's call them TKC80 Light in the dirt, with longer tread wear.
    * I did not notice tread chunking off road, but I am not ripping around off road-- just moderate pace. They seem stoutly constructed to me.
    * Hold pressure well. I'm not sure what causes this, but I check pressure before every ride, and I rarely need to add air to these tires.
    * Dirt Braking. Dirt braking is good-- steady, relatively short, predictable, seems safe and confidence inspiring.
    * Wet performance is mostly good. Mostly... (See below)
    * I guess they look cool..? People ask you about them, so I suppose they help you make new friends..?

Cons:
    * Aggressive riding on-road, on a variety of pavement types, has been sphincter-puckering. As an example, at around the 500 mile mark I was riding through a canyon in western CO, and a friend who was riding behind me said that he was pretty sure I was going to high-side. That guy is a life-long track guy and a huge Michelin fan. I agree with him. The bike felt like it was on BBs; vague, loose bordering on drifty, and definitely unpredictable. This led to a solid month of obsessive pressure checking whenever I was riding. I was using multiple high-precision gauges (Longacre, Joes, etc.) that have been verified accurate. It's the tires. I aired-down to 34F and 40R and have been riding that way since. The pressure drop helped a little, but increased the wear noticeably.
    * Wet performance is mostly good, but occasionally feels very unpredictable in corners. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to this-- temperature, road surface quality, amount of water, etc. are all irrelevant to the Jekyl and Hyde nature of these tires. Turn-by-turn goes like this: they are fine, fine, totally sketchy, fine, totally sketchy, etc. all in a few minute period. Fun times.
    * Wear on the rear is better than TKC80s for sure, but still only seems to be about 3,500 - 4,000 based on my experience and others I have talked to. That's considerably less than what I heard from dealers before purchasing.
    * Turn initiation and departure is bad. This tire takes deliberate effort, and takes away the majority of the road feel and finesse when riding on road. Plan to see your traction control light a lot of the time if you make a habit of accelerating hard out of corners.
    * The highway... another frightening place for the Anakee Wilds. Much like aggressive riding on the twisties, these tires are vague and splashy above roughly 80-85, and the bike feels like it's floating and disconnected from the road by the time you're approaching 100. While I know that many people never go this fast, but consider this: when passing on two lane mountain roads, you need to get by quickly in relatively short/rare straights where passing is permitted. Thus, on a 60 or 65 mph speed limit road, when you roll on to pass quickly and safely, you typically end up in the 80s. This is a bad time to have unpredictable handling.
    * Road Braking. As others have said, the front end is unsteady under hard braking, and my sense is that I'm into the ABS more easily on the rear than I would be with TKC 80s.
    * Cost. These are not cheap tires.

I'm pulling off some K60's - I know the Heidenau's pretty well and assume the STR's will beat them in all categories except mileage and puncture resistance.
    The Heidi's aren't the worst tire on wet pavement, but a close runner up to these . . . :photog

[​IMG]
    Tumer likes this.
  12. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Not a happy camper! LOL

Though I do wonder about the tyre pressure he's using. The Wild's for the 1190 have a max pressure of 36, so 40 psi certainly wouldn't be considered "airing down" and could go a long way to explain the poor on-road behaviour. The OEM Conti TrailAttack2 runs at 42 psi and on-road the Wild feels and acts the same at 36, despite my initial concerns about that difference in pressure.

I'm doing a trip this summer and I'm torn between using the Wilds I have, versus getting a set of the STR's. Lots of road miles and some good hard-base gravel. Mainly because the STR will cost a lot less per km and will have the edge on-road.
    kvango likes this.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I actually can echo the Revzilla reviewer a bit. TKC 80s...never broke traction leaned all of the way over and amazing in wet. Anakee wilds, they've tried to kill me a few times riding just normally around town. They last 2.5 times as long as the TKC80s so I gave them a pass. They for me lasted much longer than TKC80s so yeah they're more expensive but you get more tread life and I don't have to pay my guy to swap tires as much.

I posted a tire cost analysis a few months back. Decided knobbies are in the past for me and instead of spending 10 grand on tires over the life of this bike, I went out and bought a dirt bike instead. doesn't help GS owners who want to do BDRs, but TKC80s are amazing but at 14K miles a year, that's 5.5 rears a year and 3 fronts. Every 5 years, I can just buy a new dirt bike for that kind of money so I think MOto-Z tractionators are my next tires.
    kvango and bikemoto like this.
  14. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And, it has to be submitted no later than September 15.
  15. bmw_rider

bmw_rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a set of STR tyres on my 2017 1200GS. 6,000 kms later the rear tread is gone. The front at 6,500 kms looks like it may go to 10,000 kms.
    Probably 60% sealed road & 40% unsealed road. Generally spirited riding in both instances.
    Little to no cupping. Plenty of grip, dry or wet on sealed roads. Rear profile rather flat and easy to use all tyre tread edge to edge. Wide surface contact patch as a result. Though, I have had many instances of the rear skipping out on sealed roads when cranked over accelerating hard. I suspect this may be due to sort of running off the edge of the tyre.
    Surprisingly smooth on sealed roads for the tread pattern. Noisy without good earplugs.
    Off-road the front is better than a Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 but not great. Cornering on loose gravel over hard packed base is done cautiously and often slowly with some rear wheel steering assist on the exit. The unsealed roads i ride on are very abrasive (sealed roads too actually) and the majority of rear tyre wear is likely wheel spin related.
    If the front gets to 10,000 kms before the rhs side wears out (ride on the lhs side of the road) i may buy another as it gives good surety for spirited riding on sealed roads and just OK off-road if you ride accordingly.
    If I could put up with the (imo) low kms the rear STR gets and cost (not cheap) i would use an STR again. I can not, so the rear has been replaced with a Motoz Tractionator GPS.
    Time will tell if this was a good decision.
    Jettn Jim and CopperGreen like this.
  16. ndmiller

ndmiller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for you're review. I'm 99% road, 1% off, so Anakee 3, TKC80 and Anakee Wilds are just too biased for me. I'm doing fire roads and forest roads mostly a handful of times a year, so the road portion of the STR's is what I needed without the street tire behavior during off road rides. I would imagine as I spend more time off-road and become proficient, I'd find the same and switch from the STR's.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The STRs are AWESOME road tires. you won't be disappointed.
  18. Jerm21

Jerm21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I mounted the Scorpion Rally STRs on my ‘14 GS a few weeks ago. Mounting and balancing was pretty easy, but I will say the rear took more pressure than I’m used to for the bead to pop. Everything sealed just fine, though.

I already have about 1,800 miles on them, including a trip down south to the Dragon, Cherohola, and the entire length of the BRP. This also included running through the remnants of hurricane Florence.

The wet weather performance is superb - and believe me, there was plenty of wet road testing . This included not only wet roads, but roads with all sorts of hurricane related debris. At one point on Rt 58 in VA, which has very tight turns, the road seriously looked like a ticker tape parade just when through - but instead the confetti was made of leaves. These tires never so much as wiggled. Very impressive!

On dry roads, the Rallys really stick and are very confidence inspiring. I’m by no means an overly aggressive rider, but I felt my boots touch the ground on many occasions - grip was never a concern.

After 1,800 miles, they are showing wear, but seem to have a plenty of life left. I’ll keep reporting on the mileage.
    kvango and bobw like this.
  19. KPK

KPK Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I ride a 2016 GSWA and will confirm with ^^^^^ statements. My bike is a standard,not the low version, I ride it in the two up, hard, with panniers setting mode on the street while in the twisties. The center stand scrapes before anything else on both sides. This is the part of the center stand feet that the bike pivots on while placed on the stand. Shortly thereafter the stock GSWA pegs scrape around the same time the stock metal panniers start to rub. Of course if you are riding a GS or with lowered pegs like pictured I believe the pegs would prob touch down first. I can not confirm on a GS bike I only took one for a short test ride however I known the pegs are lower to the ground on a GS model.
  20. modestmuscle

modestmuscle Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Left side

I understand that an over weighted and under sprung setup would allow the center stand to scrape going into a corner because of spring compression. I do NOT have factory spring/shock assembly, so this is next to impossible for my bike to do. If this is happening to anyone's current setup I would advise spring replacement and watch the "overloading". There should be no reason for a center stand to scrape, with a properly sprung and correctly weighted bike.

I think I might have stated earlier, I have Touratech/Tractive suspension, spring/shock front and rear, with the heaviest spring available.